It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2003, 04:08 PM   #1

elippsis HB User
Post Oral Herpes or Acne?

I'm not familiar with the virus, but I have a little bump in the corner of my mouth (not quite on lips). It looked like a whitehead pimple and I squeezed it and wiped it. It hurts a little when I open my mouth but otherwise I almost forget it's there.It's quite small and doesn't look like some of the pictures of cold sores I've seen. I'm still worried though, can someone tell me if it sounds like acne or oral herpes? thanks, i appreciate it.

Old 07-10-2003, 08:55 PM   #2
Inactive

TheOneInFour HB User
It sounds like it could be a number of things, a pimple or an oral herpes outbreak being just two possibilities. If you're a young person (teenager or young adult) it might well be a pimple, but of course I can't tell "from here." If it's oral herpes (a.k.a. a "cold sore" or "fever blister") then you're one of a vast majority of the general population who has this. Most people catch it in early childhood from non-sexual contact with family and friends.

If you're concerned about it being oral herpes, you should get a doctor to look at it. We're not doctors here and wouldn't be able to make a diagnosis over the Internet in any case.

If it's herpes then you could pass it on to someone by kissing them, so you should avoid this until your symptoms are *completely* gone. I don't know how old you are but if you're sexually active, you should avoid giving oral sex when you have these symptoms too. (Sorry if that's more information than you needed to know. *g*) You should also be sure you wash your hands well after touching the area, before touching anywhere else (especially don't rub your eyes before cleaning your hands).

If you keep getting sores in the same place then it's very likely herpes. You are definitely contagious when you have a herpes sore and might be contagious even when you don't. If you're getting a lot of outbreaks (OBs) then you're likely to be contagious in between OBs too because that suggests the virus is very active in your system.

I'd say get a doctor to look at it in the next day or two if possible. If it comes up again, get in to see a doc right away so s/he can test it while it's still "fresh." Ideally within 24-48 hours of when it first comes up but even if it's 3 days or more, go in anyway.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

TheOneInFour

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2003, 09:52 PM   #3

elippsis HB User
Hi there: Thanks very much for your response firstly. I am sexually active, and forgot about this "thing" on the corner of my mouth until now. I have not had this before and I am 19 years old. I have only been with one girl. It looked like a whitehead and i popped it with no problems, didn't hurt and it was about 1mm in diameter. I only have one small blemish, it has not spread or anything like that, very small. I have kissed my partner and she shows no symptoms as of 6 days later. I'll have to wait I guess...but it would make me feel better if you would give me a good guess. I'm hoping it is a pimple...thanks again.

Old 07-10-2003, 10:30 PM   #4
Inactive

TheOneInFour HB User
HI Elippsis,

Sorry, but I really can't give you a better guess about it. Herpes can look very different on different people and sometimes it looks like a pimple, sometimes it looks like a rash, sometimes it looks like a patch of dry skin, etc. Given your age, it could just be a pimple, but the edge of the mouth is also a classic location to get a cold sore, so... *shrug* The jury is still out.

Get a doc to look at it. That's your best bet. Good luck! Let us know what you find out.

TheOneInFour

Old 07-10-2003, 10:39 PM   #5

elippsis HB User
OneInFour: Thanks so much for your info. Board is lucky to have someone helpful like you. One last question: I don't fully understand this concept. If an oral infection is HSV-1, is it easy to transmit to the vagina through oral sex. Also, once the vagina becomes infected through oral sex, would it be HSV-1 or HSV-2? Thank you. I'm shaking...so scared.

Old 07-11-2003, 01:00 AM   #6
Inactive

TheOneInFour HB User
Hey Elippsis, I understand that you're scared. It's a natural reaction. Don't let it overwhelm you though. Go see the doctor tomorrow (explain that you have to be seen while symptoms are still fresh). Even if it is herpes, it's still wouldn't be the end of the world by a long shot, so try to relax and stop imagining the worst, okay? Let us know how you make out tomorrow.

The1in4

Closed Thread