It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2002, 06:37 PM   #1

kollegeqt HB User
Exclamation Sex After Herpes

Ok, now I have a problem, as a young college student, now with herpes, I find myself to be very sexually frustrated and wanting to have sex with a new person that has entered my life. He doesn't have it, but he knows that I do. He still wants to have unprotected sex, but I don't think we should. I have read the posts on here and i see that a lot of people are having sex unprotected. I just want to know how long do I have to have herpes before I know my patterns. I have only had one outbreak, it was the first one. And that was 3 months ago. Should I wait a year before I have unprotected sex again? I know and he knows that he still can get it if we use protection

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2002, 11:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

devastated HB User
Question

I don't think waiting a certain time before having unprotected sex would do anything at all. Do you know if you have type 1 or 2? If you don't know, you should find out because if you have type 1, there is a good chance he already will have antibodies for type 1 (the type that typically causes cold sores), and thus, would have pretty good protection from getting it genitally from you. If you have type 2, and you guys are really serious about not using protection, have him go get a test to see if he has antibodies to either type. You never know, he may already have been exposed to one or even both, and just never had any symptoms. My boyfriend, who gave it to me, never had any symptonms of either coldsores or genital sores at all, and still never has, but yet he does have it. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2002, 04:50 PM   #3

kollegeqt HB User
I have type 1 and the guy who gave it to me also does not have any symptoms. Hopefully he has the antibodies because I last night we did not use protection. I offered several times, but he does not care. Thanx for the advice.

Old 07-15-2003, 12:46 PM   #4

Determined0901 HB User
Lightbulb

Hey Kollegeqt~
Im a student too just diagnosed about two months ago. I think that I contracted hsv1 genitally from my bf about a year ago because my new boyfriend has been tested many times and always comes up negative. Anyways. I'm not saying that this is always the case but we've been having unprotected sex for almost a year now and he has shown no signs of being infected with this virus. My doctor says that it's harder to pass on hsv1 because most people have it but never show symptoms. This means their bodies have already built up an antibodie against the virus. I'm not a medical expert but I just wanted to share the information I got.
Hope this helps
Determined0901

Old 07-15-2003, 06:45 PM   #5

bob16 HB User
i got herpes last summer when my girlfriend and i broke up for about two months i went out and got really drunk one night and started to receiving oral sex from a women before i made her stop. her mouth was on my unit for no more than 10 sec. and i did not realize i could contract herpes in this manner. well anyways a week later i had a red bump on my gentials and did not relize what it was. my girlfriend and i have sense gottn back together. since she was on the pill and i did not relize what i had we were having unprotected sex for about 7 months and she does not have herpes. so just wanted to share my story on this topic, sense then we know use condoms.

Old 07-15-2003, 11:19 PM   #6

hmt106 HB User
Hmm...

Well even if you have already had unprotected sex I suggest that your boyfriend reads up and absolutely makes sure he is willing to take on the possibility of contracting herpes. I really wouldn't keep having unprotected sex with him - it is very possible that he could contract the virus. And as for anyone who thinks that already having HSV-1 from cold sores gives you some type of immunity, it doesn't! At least it didn't in my case. And I didn't turn out to be one of the "lucky" HSV-1'ers either, I have an outbreak monthly and it affects both regions.

Old 07-16-2003, 11:42 AM   #7

Determined0901 HB User
Oh hmt I think you might have misunderstood me! Now that I have been diagnosed we no longer have unprotected sex. I would never want to affect him with this virus.I was just saying that before I had no idea that I had the virus and he never got it the whole time that we were having unprotected sex. I thought that maybe I had got it from him but his western blot tests keep coming up negative and he has no visible OBs. As for my doctor, that's just what he told me. (that hsv1 was harder to pass on)At least that was his "explanation" for why my boyfriend had no contacted the virus all this time. Maybe he's not up-to-date with all of the information that he should be? If that's the case then Im changing doctors asap! Thanks for your input.
Determined0901

Closed Thread