It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2003, 11:39 AM   #1

mutz HB User
Post trying cimetidine

Hey all,

Yesterday I decided to drop the acyclovir and try the cimetidine (Tagamet).

It was kinda scary but since it hadn't been working (even with the OOO and OLE), why not?

I got almost immediate partial relief of my pain, but too soon to tell anything for sure.

I am an experiment at my doctor's office! If it works for me they will perscribe for others.

I will keep you posted. Anyone else doing this?

Mutz

Old 07-22-2003, 01:10 PM   #2

coopsie HB User
I haven't done it, but I am fascinated to find out if it works. It's great that you have consulted with your dr. too...I have been afraid to do it on my own. Please please keep us posted! And good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2003, 09:00 AM   #3

mutz HB User
UPDATE:

Day 2 1/2 of cimetidine (tagamet:

YAY! It's a thong day!

Old 07-23-2003, 11:29 AM   #4

coopsie HB User
seriously? I need more details! How much are you taking? What were your symptoms like before? How long can you keep taking it?

Old 07-23-2003, 04:40 PM   #5

sadgirl222 HB User
WOW...I am interested too in the dosage/etc. I also have daily heartburn, so maybe this med. will provide relief for both!!!

Old 07-23-2003, 04:46 PM   #6

luckyone HB User
I have been considering this for a long time. Hope all goes GREAT.

Old 07-24-2003, 05:16 PM   #7

sadgirl222 HB User
Mutz,

How much are you taking? I just bought some, and I've read that the recommended dosage for suppression is 200mg/3x's a day and 1 400mg pill at night. Is this what you are doing? It seems like a lot since the dosage on the box is 1 200mg up to two times a day.

Man I hope this works...All of us with constant symptoms need relief!!

I'll even take 1 day, I don't ask much!

Old 07-25-2003, 09:23 AM   #8

mutz HB User
Hey there,

Still having continued success with this.

Yes, sadgirl, you have the dosage right--that's what I am taking.

My pharmacist thought that it would be ok to take it with the acyclovir but my doctor said that he wants to see what it does on its own.

He is not sure about taking it long term. I have thought about trying 3 weeks of this then two or three weeks of acyclovir.

The bad thing about cimetidine is that it interacts with a lot of other meds so you need to ask a druggist if you are taking anything regularly.

Good luck to everyone---this could be a great way to wean ourselves off of Famvir, etc.!

M.

Old 07-29-2003, 05:52 AM   #9

coopsie HB User
Mutz-
What was your experience with the alcyclovir that turned you on to Tagamet? Is the Tagamet working better than the alcyclovir did?

Old 07-29-2003, 08:57 AM   #10

mutz HB User
Hi Coopsie

I was having daily symptoms with acyclovir and had about 3 OBs since I started taking it about June 1. I also got oral HSV and had 1 OB there, too.

I had symptoms again on Friday and Friday night I was up a lot with body aches and bad dreams. Saturday I was weak and fatigued and had fewer symptoms, but may have had a tiny OB site (I get it on my anus so it's hard to see).

By Sunday, I was better and have been symptom-free, which is really different for me (since first OB in April, haven't had any totally 'symptom-free' days.

So, since this hypes up your immune system rather than killing the virus, I wonder if I went through a few days after quitting the acyclovir where the virus built up in my system, my body recognized it and was able to beat it down with help from the cimetidine--hence the body aches, etc.

I feel like my body just never got a handle on this virus until now.

Still in the trial stage here so stay tuned.

M.

Old 07-29-2003, 01:50 PM   #11

coopsie HB User
That's great! I will be checking for your posts, so please keep us up-to-date! I have had constant symptoms since April too (even on 1 g/day of Valtrex), so I am eager to find out if this works.

Old 08-01-2003, 06:56 AM   #12

coopsie HB User
how's it going, mutz?

Old 08-01-2003, 07:37 AM   #13

mutz HB User
Well, Coopsie, this hasn't been a great last few days. I have to remember that without the acyclovir, the levels of virus are going to go up.

I have been under stress at work to get a proposal done.

I did break down and took some acyclovir last night and this morning because my buttocks were hurting so bad.

I am pretty depressed about the whole medicine thing though and I'm thinkng that I might just throw all the meds out the window and force my body to deal with it.

It didn't help that I went out and bought some pretty underthings to help myself feel better about my body, but when I put them on for my husband, he asked how much it cost and said it wasn't practical and I should take them back.

Mutz

Old 08-01-2003, 08:08 AM   #14

luckyone HB User
Wink

I am very sorry to hear about you losing hope in the meds.Are you having pain and no ob's or both? It is so hard to control stress I know. About the lingerie feel good about them. I'm sure you looked GREAT. Know within yourself how wonderful you are. Best of luck in controlling the stress. Things have to get better. :-)

Old 08-01-2003, 10:23 AM   #15

coopsie HB User
Oh Mutz, I am so sorry. Thank you for being our guinea pig, though I am very sad for you that it wasn't what you'd hoped.

I know this is impossible to believe sometimes, but we cannot let ourselves BE this disease. Maybe go and buy some cheaper lingerie?? you deserve to feel sexy because deepdown you know you are.

Good luck and thank you for being so candid.

Closed Thread