It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2003, 01:16 PM   #1

missmoody HB User
Post Everyone read this!!!!!!!!

I just wanted to tell everyone about something I tried. I have herpes 1 (oral). Well, on the internet I found a site that said to use pure Ether. Pure Ether is hard to find and evaporates very quickly. Icouldn't find any pure Ether. Well, what was suggested if you cannot find pure Ether: go to the auto parts store(actually I went to Walmart) and purchase some Engine Starting Fluid WITH ETHER AS THE MAIN INGREDIENT. The Starting Fluid has to have Ether in it! Well, you get a cotton ball and spray the starting fluid on the cotton ball and dab it your cold sore. *Do not dab it more than 3 times or it will cause the cold sore to scab over which takes longer to heal.* I tried this on my mouth and I was so amazed by the results. I woke up with cold sores and used the starting fluid and within a couple of hours the cold sores were gone. My husband was in shock along with myself. For best results, use the starter fluid when you first feel a cold sore coming on. You all should give this method a try if you haven't already. Trust me, it is worth looking into. The starting fluid is cheap so if it doesn't work you would only be out of a couple of dollars.
Please give a shot and tell me what you all think. I am curious if you all will be just as successful as I am with Ether.
Thanks and goodluck!
missmoody

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2003, 02:24 PM   #2
Inactive

TheOneInFour HB User
I would STRONGLY advise that anyone NOT TRY THIS! I am not a chemist but unless I'm mistaken, this substance is the stuff of "huffing" which can cause brain damage when inhaled. Dabbing it around the face means it's going to be inhaled.

Also, starter fluid might have ether in it but may have other ingredients too, which are probably not safe to absorb into the skin. It's meant for your car, not your skin! Even if it is simple ether, it may or may not be of a grade that is safe to bring into contact with your skin, even briefly. Certainly prolonged exposure could cause skin problems. And I would definitely think it's a BAD idea to bring it anywhere near mucous membrane skin!

This doesn't sound to me like the brightest idea in the world...

TheOneInFour

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2003, 05:14 PM   #3
Inactive

plymouth HB User
Question

Dr. Weil recommends this:

Quote:
A simple treatment for oral herpes is to put a drop of ether (diethyl ether) on the lesion. This promotes crusting and speeds healing. Pharmacists will sell you small quantities of ether for this purpose.

[This message has been edited by plymouth (edited 02-13-2003).]

Old 02-13-2003, 07:07 PM   #4
Inactive

TheOneInFour HB User
Ether from a pharmacist is a whole lot different from starter fluid from a hardware store.

1in4

Old 02-13-2003, 08:32 PM   #5

missmoody HB User
Unhappy

I am unable to find pure Ether, as I stated in my post. The website I found this info suggested the starter fluid because Ether in the pure form is so hard to find. Look, this is not something I made up. It has worked for me and not many things have in the past. The website never mentioned any skin problems. I will ask my doctor next visit. No, I never inhaled any fumes, I never even smell it. It's not like I hold it over my mouth and breathe in. It is just a couple of quick dabs. The starter fluid is a last resort if you cannot find the pure Ether. All I know is it worked for me. Thanks. I am only trying to help.

Old 02-13-2003, 09:27 PM   #6
Inactive

TheOneInFour HB User
I do understand that you're looking to share something that seems to have worked for you, but I would be extremely careful about using a substance medically that was intended to be used on a mechanical object. There are no safeguards in that case for human consumption or use, and when dealing with chemicals it seems to me there's a lot of room for risk of doing damage to yourself.

I'd be very interested to hear what your doc has to say or even a pharmacist. Anybody can put anything on a website -- that doesn't make it correct, safe or wise to follow their advice. Just be careful. Please check it out carefully with reliable sources before you do possible damage to yourself or advise someone else to do something that might do harm. Maybe I'm being overcautious but with something like a chemical solvent not intended for human use, it seems to me it would be wise to check very carefully about its safety.

TheOneInFour

Old 02-14-2003, 06:34 AM   #7
(male)

Nonexist HB User
Here’s another case of a substance that can be helpful, but is kept out of the hands of all of us because a few of us might abuse it. As a result, those of us who need it are forced to use dangerous or inadequate substitutes. Ether is abused as an inhalant with powerful psychoactive effects. I have never heard of using ether on herpes lesions, but now I intend to look in to it. As for engine starting fluid, there’s no doubt that there are lots of other harmful substances in it – just read the bottle, I’m sure it will tell you to keep it away from your skin and use it in a well ventilated area and all that. On the other hand, my Dad is a rough old handyman type – and is bathed in all sorts of chemicals in his workshop all day long – and I’m sure if we asked him, he’d have a great laugh at us for being concerned over three swabs of starter fluid on a tiny little sore. So, how concerned should we really be? I feel comfortable enough to try it, being very cautious around the mouth where it can be inhaled – just common sense. Still, it would be better to go to a Pharmacist or Doctor and get the real stuff, if that’s possible. But, your government tells you that ether is bad, and doesn’t want you to have it – even though you won’t abuse it. And to think all this time I thought the Nazis LOST. (Sorry, had to get the sarcastic political comment in there, LOL).

Old 08-01-2003, 01:45 PM   #8

yogacat HB User
I was looking for something, anything that sounded like it might work on a cold sore that was getting bigger by the minute. After reading this thread, I called a local pharmacist and asked what he thought of using ether. He said it used to be common and that he thought it would probably help. So off to the auto parts store!

Thanks to Missmoody for posting this. I used the ether and it was instantaneous. You can barely tell I had a huge blister yesterday!

I don't think the small amount of "other stuff" is significant-a small dab with a q-tip is all it takes!

Old 08-01-2003, 10:52 PM   #9

Garnetflower HB User
"On the other hand, my Dad is a rough old handyman type – and is bathed in all sorts of chemicals in his workshop all day long – and I’m sure if we asked him, he’d have a great laugh at us for being concerned over three swabs of starter fluid on a tiny little sore."

(end of quote)

Ermmm - eek! - we also had chemicals knocking around the place back when I was growing up, and I have spent many happy hours messing around or decorating with all sorts of chemicals, inhaling them (by accident - I think!) and getting them all over the place. This is very different to actively applying them to a lesion which has its own hotline to the body's system.

Many chemicals, by their nature, will have a drying
effect on a sore. They evaporate very fast and take whatever fluid is around them with it.

Dr Weil, bless him, has a powerful influence, albeit having some interesting things to say now and again. And he has made an important contribution to the understanding of hallucinogenic plants...

"And to think all this time I thought the Nazis LOST. "

Arghh! Godwin's Law! Please!

Garnet

PS I will work out how to quote more clearly soon!

[This message has been edited by Garnetflower (edited 08-02-2003).]

Old 08-05-2003, 06:31 AM   #10
(female)

sunnyd HB User
Well, I tried this yesterday. Didn't have just ether so I found the starter fluid in the garage. I really had to think twice about using this. Seemed very wierd to be putting a toxic solution on my lips. I said, "What the hell" and did it anyway. Twice! Once in the morning and then again in the afternoon. Other than a very slight odor I felt no different at all. Even the cold sore was no different. I expected in a few hours to see a sore that was greatly reduced. No way. Even after the second application. Nada. Definately doesn't work for everyone. Course, when I get cold sores they're of the mutant strain. Pretty much resistant to anything. And I've tried everything out there. The only thing that curbs the edge alittle bit is Herpilyn from Enzymatic Therapy. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth on the value of ether . . . or rather starter fluid

Old 08-07-2003, 11:41 PM   #11

Garnetflower HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by sunnyd:
Course, when I get cold sores they're of the mutant strain.
SunnyD

I'm sure your cold sores aren't any more mutant than anyone else's! Frankly, I am really really pleased this didn't work, as it means you won't be trying it again! Thinking of your safety...

And with all this stuff, if you put it near your mouth, you will be effectively inhaling it, even if just in small quantities...

Now badger grease, that's a whole different thing... :-)

Garnet

Closed Thread