It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2003, 06:08 PM   #1
Inactive

BruceG HB User
Question Flu-like Symptoms and Herpes?

Can anyone tell me if it's common to get flu-like symptoms with herpes? I had unprotected vaginal sex (for about one minute) with a woman three weeks ago, and today I woke up with what feels like a head cold or the flu - no sore throat, but my head feels lousy and I have a fever and am sort of achy. There's a good chance I got HSV2 from her - I noticed a few small red bumps on my penis, but they didn't burst or hurt at all, just itch. I am deathly afraid to have gotten HIV from her, and I am wondering if my achiness could be related to HSV2.

Old 08-09-2003, 06:14 PM   #2
(male)

confused20 HB User
Well sorry to tell u but it is quite possible. And those are some symptoms but not necessarily HSV. U can't say it is for sure, hopefully it isn't but u should go get checked out as soon as possible. Do u have any reason to believe she might have some type of STD? Perhaps a one night stand or a prostitute? If it was something of such sort u should go get checked out immediatley. If it wasn't u still should get checked but try asking ur partner if she has anything. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2003, 06:24 PM   #3
Inactive

BruceG HB User
Yeah, I know I should get tested. And I plan on it. At this point I'm more worried about having gotten HIV than herpes. I don't know the woman's STD status.

My question was whether it's common to get the flu-like symptoms with HSV2, three weeks after possible exposure.

Old 08-09-2003, 07:02 PM   #4

Hope_for_better_days HB User
Yes, that happened to me two months ago. I had all the symptoms of flu, even the runny nose. I had muscle ache, fever, headache and runny rose. I was praying that it was just the flu but I knew I had slep with a HSV+ two weeks prior and again four days prior. I guess I was asking for herpes to come to me

Old 08-09-2003, 07:37 PM   #5
(male)

confused20 HB User
Sorry hope for better days. Hope things get better. As for u bruce, From what I've been told it is very possible to experience flu like symptoms up to a month or more after. I know u dont wanna hear that, I know I didn't. As a matter of fact I'm going thru the same things as u right now. I slept with a girl who I didn't know a month and a week ago. Everything was fine then 2 weeks later I started feeling bad. I got tested and came back clean for all STD's (thankfully) except for Herpes, that I'm still not too sure about because I haven't been checked yet. By the time I went to a doctor there was nothing there and it's too early for a blood test (from what I heard). Well I still feel under the weather. I'm still hoping for the best, but expecting the worse. All the timing seems too suspicious. Coincidence? I hope so.

Old 08-09-2003, 09:55 PM   #6
Inactive

BruceG HB User
Thanks, HFBD. The flu symptoms are pretty pronounced, and to be honest, I'm just worried that it's NOT herpes and that it's HIV. Three weeks after exposure seems like a long time to start having herpes symptoms, doesn't it?

Old 08-09-2003, 10:40 PM   #7
Inactive

TheOneInFour HB User
Bruce, flu-like symptoms are a common symptom of a herpes OB, whether it's your first OB or not. And I don't think 3 weeks is too long for it to be herpes. I don't know about HIV. But maybe you just caught a cold, from her or someone else? There are some going around this summer.

Is it possible you've just got a case of the guilts? That happens sometimes, where someone regrets being intimate with someone (they acted hastily or they didn't use a condom or something like that) and then they're plagued with fears that they caught something. I've seen this on this board before. Just something to consider.

If you're really worried, get a type-specific blood test done now to see what shows up (HSV-1 will probably show up, since most people have this orally) and then test again in 4 months to see if anything new shows up. Another option is for your partner to get tested in the same way and see what shows up for her.

Good luck. I hope it turns out you only have the guilts.

TheOneInFour

[This message has been edited by TheOneInFour (edited 08-10-2003).]

Old 08-09-2003, 11:06 PM   #8
Inactive

BruceG HB User
Thanks for the reply, OneInFour. It could very well be a cold... but there's definitely no sore throat, coughing, runny nose, etc.

I definitely have a case of the guilts, but I don't think it's my mind "creating" this feeling. Another possibility is that I jinxed myself - I was just yesterday reveling in the fact that I hadn't had any flu-like symptoms and, voila! I woke up this morning with what felt like the flu!

I think HSV-1 would definitely show up on a test - I've had cold sores my whole life. By the way, do you know if the fact that I already had HSV-1 perhaps made my initial outbreak of HSV-2 less severe? I mean, I've only noticed one bump that could be a sore, and other than that I just have some tingling "down below" (and some soreness in my ***, oddly). And, of course, the flu symptoms that I got today.

Old 08-09-2003, 11:34 PM   #9

Garnetflower HB User
Bruce

Just my 2 cents worth re flu-like symptoms.

I definitely had them a lot last year, and a bit less this year. Not running nose, but definite aches in the joints and neck, and restless legs that couldn't get comfortable.

Garnet

Old 08-09-2003, 11:40 PM   #10

hmt106 HB User
Bruce -

Not that I'm saying you definately did not contract HIV from her, but if you did, the flu-like symptoms you are having now, only 3 weeks after the possible transmission, would most likely not be related to it. It can take years for the HIV virus to have noticeable effects on a person, although obviously those effects are not good. My best advice for you is to get tested in general for all STD's, hopefully you have none but if the case is that you do, it's of course best that you find out as soon as possible so that you can take some actions and not just be scared and wondering.

Good luck with everything!

Old 08-10-2003, 08:48 AM   #11
Inactive

BruceG HB User
Thanks, Garnet and Hmt. I woke up as fresh as a daisy today! Very, very subtle flu-like symptoms, if at all. Very weird. I really took care of myself yesterday, though -- tons of water, relaxation, and so forth. I don't feel hot and achy at all.

Hmt, it's been a roller-coaster three weeks for me. I know testing is the only way to know but, as you know, there's a window period. Like anyone who has had a stupid case of unprotected sex, I'm most afraid of HIV. Logic and the odds tell me I didn't contraced HIV from her, but logic, the odds, and my symptoms tell me I did enough to get HSV2, which is quite easy to transmit (unlike HIV). I think my OB has been on the subtle side with regards to blisters, but there may be a cluster in my *** that I just can't see -- my *** has been sore & itchy, and today my stool was a bit bloody... so it's definitely a possibility. (Sorry 'bout the crudeness!)

One more question regarding HSV2: If I wait out the full 13 weeks to get tested for STDs, is that a good time to get the herpes blood test that will determine if I have HSV2? Like I said earlier, I've had HSV1 my whole life (or, at least since childhood).

Old 08-10-2003, 12:07 PM   #12
Inactive

TheOneInFour HB User
Blood tests can take up to 12-16 weeks (6 months in some cases) after initial infection to show antibodies. However, most people will get confirmation of HSV infection by about 6 weeks after infection. If you still get a negative at that point, you should retest after the 16-week period.

In the meantime, keep getting a doctor to look at the visible symptoms. Get them to take a swab on anything that looks like you could get some tissue (like a moist or wet blister).

Keep us posted how you're doing.

TheOneInFour

Old 08-12-2003, 10:12 PM   #13

Hopeful03 HB User
Hey Bruce,

I felt the symptoms of herpes just 2 days after exposure,it was that fast. 4 days after exposure I had night shakes and sweats for about 4 days in a row. I was afraid to go to sleep because I would wake up in the middle of the night hot and sweaty. But at the same time I would have the shakes like I was cold. IT was really weird, definetly not something I had ever experienced. I too, thought I had Hiv. I have yet to go for the test for hiv, my 6 month mark will September 11, freaky huh? Just my two cents, I really don't think that you caught anything in one minute of having sex with this woman. From what I understand HIV is a pretty fragile virus and not as easy to catch as herpes. Just try to relax in the mean time , good luck.

Closed Thread