It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2003, 03:39 PM   #1

yobo HB User
Question mouth ulcers and genital herpies

My husband and I have been married for 10 years and of course he has been my only sex partner throughout our marriage. My husband often suffers from ulcers inside his mouth, usually during times of stress and I've always been careful of kissing him during these times. Two days after we had engaged in oral sex, I broke out for the first time with what was diagnosed as genital herpies. (Apparently, my husband was in the middle of one of his outbreaks during our encounter). This outbreak has lasted 2 and a half weeks now and I have been both misreble and upset to say the least. The doctor has told me that I must have contracted herpies before my husband because oral and genital herpies "will not" cause each other, and that "the two shall never mix". This has completely confused me because once again I have never had anything like this before and I haven't had another partner in over 10 yrs. Please clear this up for me. I have read alot of different info on the web and I'm not sure what to believe.

Old 10-24-2003, 04:54 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

movingrightalong HB User
Hi and I am sorry to hear that you're going through this. You will find good company on this board, though.

As far as your husbands sores....
If they are canker sores, then my understanding is that they are NOT contagious. From all I have heard and read, this seems to be the case.
I'm not sure if cold sores ever occur INSIDE the mouth, but I think they may on occasion. Maybe someone here has experience with this.
I personally do get canker sores, but only when I bit my lip.
As far as the two never mixing, it's not true. Either can occur at either place, although supposedly Herpes2 doesnt occur too often on the mouth.
Good luck and keep checking this board, it's an awesome source of information and support!
movingrightalong

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2003, 07:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

devastated HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by yobo:
The doctor has told me that I must have contracted herpies before my husband because oral and genital herpies "will not" cause each other, and that "the two shall never mix".
I would change doctors if I were you, this doctor is very uninformed about herpes. Coldsores can and do (very often, in fact) cause genital herpes. I myself have genital HSV1 as opposed to HSV2, caught via oral sex from my boyfriend. My gyn told me that over half of the new herpes cases she has seen in the past couple years has been type 1 (type 1 is the type that causes coldsores orally). Type 1 readily infects the genital area in addition to the oral, while type 2 likes to stay in the genital area, and type 2 orall is a bit rare, although possible. I cannot say whether what your husband gets in his mouth are indeed herpes, or if they are just canker sores. I have read that herpes can present orally inside the mouth and look like canker sores, but it is uncommon. Most oral outbreaks of herpes are on the outside of the lip. You could get a herpes blood test to see which type you are infected with. If it comes back HSV1, then the oral sex scenario is probably how it happened. If it comes back HSV2, then you probably contracted it via intercourse with an infected partner. HOWEVER, if you get tested through your present doctor, you should tell her exactly what kind of test you want, since there are inaccurate tests out there. You will need to demand an IgG test as opposed to an IgM test (these are not accurrate). *****.com has a great herpes board, and they have very informative articles over there, and a very good article explaining the types of herpes and how they are spread, and how oral herpes easily can cause genital herpes. You should print this info out and give it to your ignorant doctor.

Closed Thread