It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
(female)

Laryn88 HB User
How contagious is type 1 genital herpes?

I was recently diagnosed with type one genital herpes. I am a lesbian and was wondering what the chances were of passing it on...as in oral to genital. I know it is type one....so does that mean there is a better chance of my partner getting it orally as opposed to me having type two? I basically want to know if the fact that its type one but genital makes is easier or harder to pass on. Thank you!

Old 07-11-2008, 01:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User
Re: How contagious is type 1 genital herpes?

The two types (HSV-1 & 2) are very, very similar in all respects and are both equally and highly contagious in skin to skin contact of whatever nature, DURING AN OUTBREAK. In other words, when the sores are open, they 'shed' the active virus which then bores its way into the skin of the next victim.
There is much less chance of infection when there is no outbreak but that cannot be entirely excluded.
There is a theory around that taking oral acyclovir to suppress outbreaks actually conceals the shedding so increasing the risk of infection. It may have the cosmetic benefit of avoiding the sores around the mouth but leave the possibility of virus activity without the sores.
If acyclovir is taken immediately the characteristic warning signs of an outbreak occur, the same result can be achieved but the sufferer at least knows they are shedding the virus over the next 3 to 4 days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
(female)

Laryn88 HB User

I know that during an outbreak I should avoid all contact, and about thr risk of shedding between outbreaks. My doctor also told me though that type 1 typically prefers the oral region and type 2 prefers the genital reason. So since I have type 1 genital...is it less likely for me to pass it on genitally to my partner since type 1 prefers the mouth?

Old 07-11-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User

No! It is just as transferable genitally and the site of infection is where it stays. The same applies to HSV-2. It can affect either the mouth or the genitals and be transferred by contact externally to either site. Herpes does not move around in the bloodstream.
The fact that 1 is more usually found around the mouth and 2 is more often found around the genitals can be misleading because they are both equally contagious at either site.

Closed Thread