It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
(female)

netnet50 HB User
Living with someone that has herpes

Hi I am new to all this and please forgive me if I sound stupid. But I have some questions about living with someone that has herpes. I have tried to find a website for family members who have questions but I have not found one. I am just worried about everyday living. What are the risks if any of other family member getting infected??

1) Can family members get infected if they go to the bathroom behind a person that is infected?

2) What about cooking and eating and using the same washing and dryer?

3) What about small children are they at risk also?

4) What should family members do when the infected person has a outbreak?

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: netnet50
iamnotms (06-12-2011)
Old 07-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
(male)

rmrvero HB User
Re: Living with someone that has herpes

I have lived with herpes 2(below the waist) compared to Herpes 1(cold sores) for over 30 years. My 2 youngest children are 21 and 20 and are free and clear.Don't panic!!-None of then things you mentioned are necessary.The person who has it should not waste a lot of money on Valtrex !! The amino acid L-Lysine on an empty stomach(up to 2000 mg/day is a lot cheaper and controls outbreaks quicker.Good Luck and Relax.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
(female)

Muneca78 HB User

Netnet, I am new on this as well and I am about to move in with someone that has H (you can read my thread "feeling relieved" for my story). Don't worry. It will take time I'm sure but you can't get it unless there is skin to skin contact. And also most likely during an outbreak. I read the statistics that females are 20% likely to catch the virus and IF your partner is taking medication daily (500 mg) it reduces the chance to 10%. During Outbreaks we should stay away from our partners. I have been with my BF 2 years and from what I know am still H free. Don't go crazy. When I started to think about it too much I imagined itching and all these feelings down there. Paranoia will drive u nuts. lol Keep me posted, we are going through the same thing!

Old 07-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Truthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB User

"1) Can family members get infected if they go to the bathroom behind a person that is infected?"

It's said the virus can not survive on surfaces long. Like 10 seconds unless it's a very moist environment. In my house, I keep a container of those bleach wipes on the back of the toilet seat. If you are really paranoid, wipe the seat before/after using. But I thinks it's over kill. And its always been recommended to not share towels, toothbrushes, razors because of lots of other nasty germs that can be spread by sharing such items.

"2) What about cooking and eating and using the same washing and dryer?"

If someone has HSV-1 (oral cold sores) I would not share utensils i.e. (have a taste of my meal). Simple water and soap kills the virus on surfaces so normal washing/dish washing/clothes washing is perfectly fine.

"3) What about small children are they at risk also?"

If someone has a cold sore or think they feel one coming on, they should refrain from kissing anyone, not just small children.

"4) What should family members do when the infected person has a outbreak?"

See above. Normal hygiene routines go a long way with lots of germs!

Closed Thread