It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2008, 10:09 AM   #1
(male)

davidinseattle HB User
type 1 herpes verses type 2

I have been diagnosed with type two herpes. My last partner has type 1. Before her I had not had a sex partner for over 12 years. Is it possible that during that 12 year peroid I could have carried the type 2 virus and not known it? My outbreak did not come till 8 weeks after we first had sex. my outbreak was very slight and only had two blister on my penis. I often wonder if Iv been a carrier of this type 2 all my life since my first sex encounter at the age of 18- Im now 64. Is it possible to be a carrier and not pass this to my former wife of who I was married to for only 5 years? Iv contacted her and and she has never been tested but will do so soon. Who can help me with this problem? Thanks... Dave in Seattle

Old 08-02-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Truthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB User
Re: type 1 herpes verses type 2

How did you discover that you had hsv-2? Culture or blood test?
Many people have hsv-2 and don't know it. It can be years before they finally have 'something' that makes them go to a doctor and get tested and discover they have it. Sometimes recent surgery or trauma or a low immune system can be enough to weaken your body and the virus sneaks up out of its hiding place.
If your ex-wife gets tested and is negative and your last partner is tested and only has hsv-1 then it could very well be something that you have had for years. But most likely you will never know the exact timeline.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
(male)

davidinseattle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingTruth4Al View Post
How did you discover that you had hsv-2? Culture or blood test?
Many people have hsv-2 and don't know it. It can be years before they finally have 'something' that makes them go to a doctor and get tested and discover they have it. Sometimes recent surgery or trauma or a low immune system can be enough to weaken your body and the virus sneaks up out of its hiding place.
If your ex-wife gets tested and is negative and your last partner is tested and only has hsv-1 then it could very well be something that you have had for years. But most likely you will never know the exact timeline.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
(male)

davidinseattle HB User

I had a blood make up for my new insurance company (medicare ) they asked for a complete blood work. I have never had a blood test for HIV and thought it would be a good idea to include that as well. They ran a few other tests to see what was there and sure enough this showed up (type 2). I asked my last partner to get tested and she did finding type (1). So type (2) can only be contacted from someone else who has only type (2)? and if thats the case I hope that my last partner will remain type (2) free. How long does it take for the virus to show up in the blood after being infected..?? ty for your reply..every bit of info is very helpfull ...peace...David

Old 08-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

matter of time HB User

It takes 3-6 months for HSV antibodies to show up in blood test. They say 90% of the people with HVS2 don't know they have it. The virus could be dormant or symptoms so mild they go unnoticed. Sounds like even if your previous partner has it, she doesn't know it either.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
(male)

davidinseattle HB User

I hope to get this reply thing down to a science real soon . Hope Im doing it right. Thanks for the imput. I just cant get the answers out of my doctor that Im looking for because I have not had another appt since this discovery and would like a few answers before I go see her again next month. So perhaps you can settle my mind and hope that my questions are not so bold. but here they are (1). Can a person with type one pass it on to a person through oral copulation only and infect that partner to have it become type two? My last parther was tested and has type one and gave oral..but didnot recive it. Question(2). The twelve year time I was not active and had no symptions and my ex=wife has no symptions is it possibel for me to carry that and not infect her during the 5 years we were together, and can my last partner have had the same luck as my wife? This would help me to know that I may have contracted this virus as a young man in the service in a different country and being with several different partners in a 3 year time and not had any sign of having them and not knowing because I was never tested. Im trying to sort out these things and worry that I could have the silent virus with little or no symptons..just that once that was so slight I thought it was from not wearing shorts under my working cover-alls and was just a rubbing rash. ...ty,....David

Old 08-02-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Type 1 does not turn into type 2. So if you ex partner has type 1 and gave you oral sex, you would then have type 1 on genitals. Type 1 generally appears on the mouth as cold sores and type 2 generally appears on the genitals. That said, either type can be present on either body parts. If you have type 2 and a partner gave you oral sex then they could get type 2 orally. It's said to be rare, but it can happen.
With the prevalance nowadays of oral sex, type 1 (the cold sore on lips type) on the genitals is becoming much more common.
As for question 2 - yes. In couples that one has it and one does not, it is possible that the noninfected partner does not get it. It's a crap shoot. It varies on each individual's immune system and how their bodies handle the virus.

Last edited by Truthseek; 08-02-2008 at 08:29 PM.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #8
(male)

davidinseattle HB User

Thank you so much..Im feeling a lot better now

Old 08-03-2008, 03:47 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's what this place is for David. Knowledge is your best defense. I encourage you to read/search past posts. Lots of good people here with experiences of dealing with the virus.
Good luck.

Closed Thread