It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
(female)

laura101 HB User
Newly diagnosed, really need advice and support.

Hi There,
I was diagnosed last week with H, I am completely devasted by the news and feel so anxious. I am constantly examining myself and worrying about a second ob. I have only been with my partner for 4 mths and I have told him this news, the doctor thought it was likely that he is a carrier without symptoms as I have not had any previous sexual partners for many years.

My last ob was 4 days ago and already I think i may be about to outbreak again, but i dont know if im just being over-anxious... what are the signs??
I have a strange sensation at the back of my knees and legs, is this relevant?

Also I am in the uk and I have been reading alot about the drug Valtrex, does anyone know if this is prescribed in uk, and is it effective?

I have suffered from depression and anxiety in the past and I am so scared that that finding out I have H is going to set me back. I am so scared. Any advice or support that anyone can lend me would be greatly greatly appreciated.
Thank you

The following user gives a hug of support to laura101:
imillnotsick (12-13-2011)
Old 10-13-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Truthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed, really need advice and support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura101 View Post
Hi There,
I was diagnosed last week with H, I am completely devasted by the news and feel so anxious. I am constantly examining myself and worrying about a second ob. I have only been with my partner for 4 mths and I have told him this news, the doctor thought it was likely that he is a carrier without symptoms as I have not had any previous sexual partners for many years.

My last ob was 4 days ago and already I think i may be about to outbreak again, but i dont know if im just being over-anxious... what are the signs??
I have a strange sensation at the back of my knees and legs, is this relevant?

Also I am in the uk and I have been reading alot about the drug Valtrex, does anyone know if this is prescribed in uk, and is it effective?

I have suffered from depression and anxiety in the past and I am so scared that that finding out I have H is going to set me back. I am so scared. Any advice or support that anyone can lend me would be greatly greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Hi Laura:
Everything you are feeling is perfectly normal after your diagnosis. I went into deep depression and anxiety. Every little twinge or itch was "IT". First do you know what type you have and how were you diagnosed? Swab or blood test? The thing down the back of the leg could be what is called the 'prodrome'. I had this weird sensation on my right butt cheek - felt kinda like your foot does when it falls asleep.
Has your partner been tested also and know his status?
Can't answer your question about Valtrex availability 'across the pond'. But didn't your doctor explain medications and such to you? If not contact them and ask.
Read the posts here. You can search for specific subjects using the button up on the right "search".
Just know that you are not alone. You are still the person you were before you got this virus. And ask questions - lots of good people here who have lived with this for over 20 years.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
(female)

laura101 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingTruth4Al View Post
Hi Laura:
Everything you are feeling is perfectly normal after your diagnosis. I went into deep depression and anxiety. Every little twinge or itch was "IT". First do you know what type you have and how were you diagnosed? Swab or blood test? The thing down the back of the leg could be what is called the 'prodrome'. I had this weird sensation on my right butt cheek - felt kinda like your foot does when it falls asleep.
Has your partner been tested also and know his status?
Can't answer your question about Valtrex availability 'across the pond'. But didn't your doctor explain medications and such to you? If not contact them and ask.
Read the posts here. You can search for specific subjects using the button up on the right "search".
Just know that you are not alone. You are still the person you were before you got this virus. And ask questions - lots of good people here who have lived with this for over 20 years.

Thank you so much for your reply, unlike many other websites I am finding this discussion board really helpful. I was given a swab test, I have not yet been told which type I have however the doctor was certain that it is herpes. He told me that my partner couldnt be tested without having any symptoms, is this correct? And is it likely that I have contracted it from my current partner as I have now shown symptoms?
Thanks again for your advice

Old 10-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
. He told me that my partner couldnt be tested without having any symptoms, is this correct? And is it likely that I have contracted it from my current partner as I have now shown symptoms?
No, the doctor is NOT correct. A blood test called a "type specific IgG blood test" (HerpeSelect is the most common name) exists. Anyone can have it done whether they have symptoms or not. REALLY important is to be tested for both TYPE 1 and TYPE 2. It GENERALLY takes 3-4 months for antibodies to show up in the blood test. If you both get tested now and his blood test is positive and your swab is positive but your blood test turns up negative, it GENERALLY means that this is a new infection for you. Since you have been with him for around 4 months, it fits the timeline pretty well.

So I would suggest that you both get the blood test now. Many people have had it for years but don't know it and pass it onto a partner. Again make sure they tell you what type you have as it is important to know.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
(female)

laura101 HB User

Thanks once again, thats really useful. Why is it important to know which type you have, could you tell me the difference please. many thanks

Old 10-14-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Thanks once again, thats really useful. Why is it important to know which type you have, could you tell me the difference please. many thanks
Type 1 usually appears on the mouth/lips and type 2 usually appears on the genitals. BUT, you can get type 1 down below from oral sex by someone who has type 1. And although they say it's rare, you can get type 2 on the mouth by performing oral sex on someone who has type 2 on the genitals. Each virus has a 'preferred zone'. Type 1 up, type 2 below. So if you get type 1 below they say the virus does not reoccur that often and outbreaks are usually mild. Ditto with type 2. And also 'shedding' of the virus does not occur as frequently. So if the outbreaks are less and the shedding is less the risk of passing it on is less to your partner. Which can be a big thing if you are with someone who is freaking out about getting herpes from you. Hope that makes sense. I'm typing on 2 hours of sleep so my brain is frazzled.

Last edited by Truthseek; 10-14-2008 at 05:18 PM.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:20 AM   #7
(female)

laura101 HB User

okI understand now... still not got my results thats been over two weeks now, it's not much fun playing the waiting game .

You have been a great help, Thank you

Last edited by laura101; 10-15-2008 at 04:20 AM.

Closed Thread