It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
(female)

always16 HB User
Herpes & Persistent BV/Vaginal Odor--Please help!!!

Can herpes cause a permanent odor? I was diagnosed with herpes 4 months ago and have had a very foul odor ever since. I was simultaneously diagnosed with BV at the same time and given Tindamax to clear it up. After the herpes outbreak cleared up, I noticed that the smell was still present, so I went back to the dr. and was diagnosed with BV again. This time they gave me Metrogel, which I used as prescribed for the entire course. This gave me a yeast infection, which I then treated at home. After the YI cleared up, the smell was still present. I took an at-home vaginal ph test which showed my ph was high, somewhere between 5.0-5.5, indicating BV or trich (which my dr. said he did not see under microscope). So I retreated with the Metrogel for the same period of time the dr. prescribed the 1st time. I got a YI again, then treated myself at home again for that. After that cleared up, the odor came back and I still had a vaginal ph between 5.0-5.5. So I called the dr. AGAIN, spoke with his nurse and told her I couldn't afford to come in again (I'm self-pay). So she prescribed boric acid suppositories for 7 days, which helped for about a week afterward. I thought it was really going to be the answer I was looking for because my vaginal discharges were just like they used to be (and it also made me realize that I hadn't had normal discharges at least since the herpes dx). But once again, the smell returned and my ph was still high. The nurse told me that the herpes shouldn't have anything to do with an abnormal ph or foul smell & that I needed to come back in before they could try anything else. I cannot afford to go back to the dr. as I have already spent over $2000 on visits and tests and meds. I just don't understand why this won't go away. I am no longer sexually active so that shouldn't be it. The only thing I can draw it back to is the herpes, but I can't find any information about herpes causing a persistent odor or BV. Can someone please help??? This is affecting me to the point of depression and I don't know what else to do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dolysods HB User
Re: Herpes & Persistent BV/Vaginal Odor--Please help!!!

I don't think it is related the herpes dx either. Since you have been on antibiotics, had yeast infections, maybe taking some Acidophilus/probiotics? I can't remember if it is on this board or another one (maybe women's health or hormones, have you searched healthboards for bv?) I couldn't find the post that i was thinking about

Old 11-06-2008, 03:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kilgore52 HB User

don't know how old you are but when you start going through the hormonal stages of later years, this can be a problem for some. My friend went through this and was never diagnosed with anything wrong. It was just her hormones and now after she has gone through the change of life, it is completely gone.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
(female)

always16 HB User

No I am only 27 so menopause is out of the question. I have read other posts on here about chronic BV and some women had suggested trying a hydrogen peroxide douche. I started it a week and a 1/2 ago, but only got 4 nights in before I started my period. The smell really seemed to go away while I was doing that, but when my period came, so did the smell. So now my period is over and I have started again with the hydrogen peroxide. This really seems to be my last hope as I don't have the money to keep going back to the dr. and everything they have given me up until this point hasn't worked anyway. I will consider the supplements if this doesn't work, so thanks for the suggestion. I guess my main question for this thread was if there were any women with herpes that had been going through this same thing, if the herpes had anything to do with it. One of the symptoms of a herpes infection is a foul odor/abnormal discharge so that was why I was wondering...and I guess also because I never had this problem before the herpes. I am going to go post under "Women's Health" for chronic BV and see if anyone has experienced it as well. Thanks again for the suggestions!!!

Old 11-10-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kilgore52 HB User

Douches are not that good for you and I think your ph balance is off. But I do know that Herpes and hormones play a role in the odor and discharge department. I really feel that this is a common complaint with a lot of women and Sometimes what you eat or medicine like birth control can cause this also. I am sorry to say that most doctors find this hard to treat. A female gyno could possibily could help you more but everyone has a different odor and some stronger than others. That's why we have been labeled by the male population as having a fishy odor, some stronger than others. Men can have a really bad odor too regarding their sperm.

Last edited by kilgore52; 11-10-2008 at 08:49 AM.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
(female)

miko5222 HB User

I was diagnosed about a year ago with Herpes. Not until about 2 weeks ago have i ever had any complications down there. I now have noticed a foul odor and discharge. I have not yet been to a doctor since i was just there to cure a UTI ( which i am very prone to), so do not know if it is BV that i have. After doing tons of research it sounds to me like that is what it is, so i began looking for home remedies. I started with a douche that did absolutely nothing, so now i am taking RepHesh Pro-B pills everyday and have actually started inserting tampons with a live bacterial cultured plain yogurt. So far so good. I dont know how long this may take, but at this point i will try anything. i'll let you know what the outcome is in a week or so. Good luck!!!!

Old 11-17-2008, 01:27 PM   #7
(female)

dontforget1 HB User

I have the EXACT same problem. Sometimes the doc finds nothing or just treats me for BV. I'm getting really depressesd about the whole situation and dont know what to do either. Douching solves the problem for a day or two, but after same odor. and its not a fishy odor but very strong metallicy odor.

Closed Thread