It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2008, 04:30 AM   #1
(female)

jennifer4771 HB User
Question Yeast infection or 1st herpes outbreak?

Approximately 8 months ago I went to my gyn an asked for all STD tests (gonorrhea, chlamydia, herpes 1, herpes 2, syphilis, hepatitis A,B and C, HIV, HPV). I got negative results for all of them . But, two months ago I had sex with a guy much older than me and with a lot of sexual experiences. We used a condom. I asked him if he have had any symptoms or any stds and his answer was no. Obviously, I dont trust 100% that his answer was true.

A week after that, right after my period, I had irritation, burning, itching... horrible itching all over my vagina. I had a yeast infection before, and I had the same symptoms, except that this time I didnt have vaginal discharges of any kind. I checked myself everyday with an 8x mirror, everywere, and didnt see anything weird, except for the irritation and swelling because of my constant scratching. I tought it was caused by the fact that I wore a pair of panties that I washed with Clorox and werent completly dry when I put them on. I DIDNT have any sores, blisters, red patches, the itching was all over (not in an specific location), DIDNT have vaginal discharge nor discomfort while urinating, no fever, no pain... I had the "normal" yeast infection symptoms!!! I was experiencing the same symtoms of my past yeast infection but without the discharge so I wasnt sure it was a yeast infection. I used Vagisil, which helped but after a while symptoms came back.

A week later I went to the pharmacy and asked if I could have a yeast infection without discharge and the pharmacist said yes and that I should try Monistat, since I was experiencing the same symptoms I has in the past and was confirmed by my gyn at that moment. I used Monistat and the next day, almost all my symptoms were gone. After the third day I was ok, I still had a little irritation left, but I think it was a consequence of all the scratching. I have checked myself everyday, several times a day, and havent seen anything weird on my lips or my vagina.

By your experience, should I suspect that I have herpes and assume that I just experienced my first outbreak instead of a yeast infection? Im worried because I read that sometimes an herpes outbreak can be confused with a yeast infection... Please help!

Thank you very much for your advice!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2008, 04:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Truthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB User
Re: Yeast infection or 1st herpes outbreak?

It is very true that herpes can mimic or also trigger yeast infections, BV etc. You really need to get to your doctor when you have these symptoms. They can easily look under the microscope and detect yeast and bacteria. While there ask for another herpes blood test (IgG not Igm) and a culture for herpes 1 and 2.
The same thing happened to me. I knew something was wrong but never expected herpes. :-(

Old 11-17-2008, 05:15 AM   #3
(female)

jennifer4771 HB User

Thank you for your advice SeekingTruth!

So you experienced the same symptoms as me, without any visible sores or blisters, etc? Im sorry to hear you were finally diagnosed with herpes

I really want to have the blood test done but Im not sure if two months is enough time for the antibodies to show up... I have an appointment with my gyn this week. I have a great patient/doctor relationship and I feel very free to ask her about anything! So Ill bring a list with all my questions and ask for the blood test for HSV1 and HSV2!

Old 11-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Truthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB User

Back in Sept. '07 I was having similar symptoms. I called the OBGYN and the person who answered the phone (hmmm think she has a medical degree??) said it sounded like a yeast infection but I had one of those years ago after a bunch of antibiodies for acne cysts and knew it was not that. Practically had to beg to be allowed in to see the doc. Even when the doctor did her exam she did not even mention herpes. It was 3 days later that my yoohoo was swollen and red and then the sores/ulcers appeared. God that was hell.
Two months from that encounter may not be enough time for the blood test. Hopefully you can get a blood test and a swab at the same time. Helps to establish a timeline of the infection (swab positive blood negative usually = recent infection i.e. the 2 month ago guy).
And you are sure you had an IgG herpe blood test way back?
And did you ever tell the 2 month older guy or ask him to be tested?

Last edited by Truthseek; 11-17-2008 at 10:10 AM.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
(female)

jennifer4771 HB User

Well the thing is that I had another yeast infection in february, caused by the use of antibiotics. I'll never forget the symptoms I experienced, it was hell!!! Because I used two topical creams at the same time, and because my vagina was so irritated and swollew I had a reaction and had to go on an emergency visit to my gyn. I couldnt even walk!!! But I did had the cottage-cheese vaginal discharge. My gyn did a yeast test (just to be sure, even tough it was evident that I had a yeast infection) with positive results and got treated with oral and topical meds. I was completely cured after a few days!

I never in my life had sex without a condom! Never! And I'm very responsible with STDs. Every year I try to at least be tested for HIV and run a VDRL panel. This year I asked the Dr for ALL STD tests available. About the herpes one it was a type specific. I dont know which one, but it was the one that detected antibodies and my results were something like HSV-1 <0.34 and HSV-2 <0.27. I dont remember the exact number but it was similar to that. I went back to my gyn and she said: negative results and we discussed them for a while, she now has the results in my medical record.

This time, my symptoms were exactly the same ones I experienced in Feb, except this time I didnt have the discharge. The pharmacist said that with yeast infection you can have it or not, I also read this online. So I tried Monistat and worked perfectly! Since my symptoms started I have looked, and looked, and looked for any signs of blisters, sores, etc... and nothing yet. My symptoms (itching, swelling, redness, burning) were gone with the yeast treatment.

And no, I haven't tell him or asked him to be tested. When I first asked him about STDs he said he thought he didn't have any and that he was tested (I dont know for what, just know about HIV) and that he's even working for an organization that helps mothers with HIV. He said it was very responsible of me to ask him about it, and that he was happy I asked. He said that he always were a condom and that if he doesnt have one, he doesnt do anything with any girl. But didn't discuss anything else. I did not wanted to make him feel uncomftable. When I had the itching I looked and searched for any signs of an STD (blisters, etc) and nothing, so that's why I havent ask him again.

Right now I can only have the blood test, because my symptoms were gone after 3 days of yeast treatment (like a month ago or so) and I havent experienced anything different down there after the "yeast episode"...

Closed Thread