It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2008, 04:37 AM   #1
(male)

james 732 HB User
Chances of getting herpes

I had unprotected sex with a woman over the weekend the next day she told me she has herpes! I was floored. She assured me the last outbreak she had was 5 years ago and I shouldn't have anything to worry about. It's been 3 days and I haven't seen any signs but as you can magine I'm really nervous. What should I do?

Old 11-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Truthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB User
Re: Chances of getting herpes

Quote:
Originally Posted by james 732 View Post
I had unprotected sex with a woman over the weekend the next day she told me she has herpes! I was floored. She assured me the last outbreak she had was 5 years ago and I shouldn't have anything to worry about. It's been 3 days and I haven't seen any signs but as you can magine I'm really nervous. What should I do?
Do you know which type she has? Type 1 or type 2? Is she on any medication to suppress it?
If she had no outbreak at the time, your risk is pretty low. If she had no outbreak and was on suppressive medication, your risk is lower. The type is important as type 1 in usually seen on the mouth and type 2 is usually on the genitals but either type can be in either location. So for instance if she has type 1 on her genitals, it is usually a more mild case and 'shedding' of the virus occurs less frequently so your risk is lower.
Since you have no symptoms at the moment you can't really be swabbed/cultured for anything. You could have a type specific IgG blood test which will show whether you already have a form of herpes yourself. Many people get type 1 (cold sores) as a kid from being kissed by some nasty relative who had a cold sore. Other than that, if you ever experience symptoms get to your doctor to be swab/cultured. Beware though, unless you get to the doctor when the bumps/lesions/sores/blisters/rash first appear, the test could produce a false negative as there is not enough active virus to be 'caught' in the culture.
Learn the facts and don't panic. Try to find out which type she has and how she was diagnosed. Many are often given the wrong blood test (should be IgG not IgM) and misdiagnosed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

matter of time HB User

If she hasn't had an outbreak in 5 years, your chances of getting it are very small.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:05 AM   #4
(male)

james 732 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matter of time View Post
If she hasn't had an outbreak in 5 years, your chances of getting it are very small.
Thank you for your response. She called her doctor yesterday morning and her doctor assured her the risks of me catching anything were very very low. Thank you again for your response.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:22 AM   #5
(male)

james 732 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingTruth4Al View Post
Do you know which type she has? Type 1 or type 2? Is she on any medication to suppress it?
If she had no outbreak at the time, your risk is pretty low. If she had no outbreak and was on suppressive medication, your risk is lower. The type is important as type 1 in usually seen on the mouth and type 2 is usually on the genitals but either type can be in either location. So for instance if she has type 1 on her genitals, it is usually a more mild case and 'shedding' of the virus occurs less frequently so your risk is lower.
Since you have no symptoms at the moment you can't really be swabbed/cultured for anything. You could have a type specific IgG blood test which will show whether you already have a form of herpes yourself. Many people get type 1 (cold sores) as a kid from being kissed by some nasty relative who had a cold sore. Other than that, if you ever experience symptoms get to your doctor to be swab/cultured. Beware though, unless you get to the doctor when the bumps/lesions/sores/blisters/rash first appear, the test could produce a false negative as there is not enough active virus to be 'caught' in the culture.
Learn the facts and don't panic. Try to find out which type she has and how she was diagnosed. Many are often given the wrong blood test (should be IgG not IgM) and misdiagnosed.
Thank you very much for your reply. She told me she has type 2 but I don't know how she was diagnosed. She told me she's had type 2 for over 20 years and has had less than 5 outbreaks. She's not ony any medication to supress it and has assured me time and time agiain she had no outbreak during sex and still doesn't.

According to her doctor if she had an outbreak sex would havde been painful, there would have been a discharge but there was none of that. She wanted to get tested to see if she was close to an outbreak but her doctor didn't think it was necessay and the risk of me getting anything was very very low.

Thank you for you advice on learning the facts and not to panic. I've been reading so much about this I started to get confused so I've stopped reading at the moment. It's been 4 days now and still no signs of anything so each day my confidence grows that I'm going to be fine. Your reply has settled things in my mind and hopefully nothing will come out of this. Thank you again.

Closed Thread