It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
(male)

Johnny6 HB User
How contagious is herpes? and when?

Is herpes always contagious? or are there periods where the host knows that they wont spread them?
For instants Someone that my roommates met from school came to our house and told us right away that she had herpes. one night she brought her own pipe to smoke out of and then a few nights later, i don't know maybe she felt pressured and didn't want to look weird or something, but she used the same pipe as everyone els and i was very very worried. Are there periods that herpes aren't contagious, and she knew that at that time she wasn't going to spread them to anyone els? or should i get tested? because i have a girlfriend and this would ruin my life if this girl was stupid about her condition. I am giving her the benefit of the doubt thought she has had it since she was nine and she is around 21 so i'm thinking she knows when she can, and cant have contact with people. I don't know though. a response will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Johnny6; 11-23-2008 at 08:24 PM. Reason: To correct some of the wording for clarity.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

matter of time HB User
Re: How contagious is herpes? and when?

This sounds strange, people don't usually walk into a room of strangers and announce they have herpes. Given the scenario I'll assume she has oral herpes. (If she had genital herpes, passing a pipe wouldn't be an issue) Assuming she has oral herpes, that means she gets cold sores on her mouth. If she is having an active outbreak, cold sore, it is contagious and she should not share a pipe. If she does not have an outbreak, she is no more contagious than half of the people in the room since at least half the population your age has oral herpes---HVS1 virus in their system whether they know it or not. Oral herpes rarely spreads when outbreak is not present.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
(male)

Johnny6 HB User
Unhappy Re: How contagious is herpes? and when?

Thank you very much,
yes i have seen some evidence of oral herpes, but i don't think that they were full out cold sores at the time. more like small red areas like pimples basically. Oh and i forgot to add that each time she would pass the pipe to me i would be sure to put a flame to the mouthpiece before i used it hoping that it would sterilize it. Thanks again.

Closed Thread