It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
(female)

vanillacupcake HB User
Never ending outbreaks and can a person with herpes test negative?

hello everyone...
its been about a month or so since my first OB and they just keep coming one after the other.
does anyone kno of why this could be happening?
i know everyone is different but i want to kno the different possible causes.
my doc said she might put me on suppressive treatment and i dont really wanna if there is another way to avoid the outbreaks.

Now for the second part of my question...
I have only had sex with one person...my current boyfriend.
He had one outbreak a while ago on his mouth (he thought of it as just cold sores...not herpes...even tho i guess its the same thing) and hasnt had one since.
He passed it to my genital area while performing oral.
Now he is going to get tested because i think he doesnt believe he gave it to me.
Is there anyway he could test negative? I dont want him to think i'm a liar and i'm 100% sure he gave this to me because no one has ever touched me down there but him.
Also...how do they test you for herpes if you have no OB's present?

Old 04-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Truthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB User
Re: Never ending outbreaks and can a person with herpes test negative?

<<its been about a month or so since my first OB and they just keep coming one after the other. does anyone kno of why this could be happening?
my doc said she might put me on suppressive treatment and i dont really wanna if there is another way to avoid the outbreaks.>>

Yes everyone reacts differently. Anything you can do to boost your immune system will help you fight off outbreaks. So the age old .... eat right, sleep right, excercise will help out your overall system. Some people also suggest changing your diet to avoid nuts, chocolate and caffeine also helps

<<Now for the second part of my question...I have only had sex with one person...my current boyfriend. He had one outbreak a while ago on his mouth (he thought of it as just cold sores...not herpes...even tho i guess its the same thing) and hasnt had one since. He passed it to my genital area while performing oral. Now he is going to get tested because i think he doesnt believe he gave it to me. Is there anyway he could test negative? I dont want him to think i'm a liar and i'm 100% sure he gave this to me because no one has ever touched me down there but him.
Also...how do they test you for herpes if you have no OB's present?>>

Oral cold sores are herpes ... one and the same. So you specifically were told you had HSV1 on your genitals via a swab culture? When no outbreaks are present you can have (ask for this) "a type specific IgG blood test for both HSV1 and HSV2". If I remember the stats correctly there are some cases where HSV1 does not get picked up in the IgG test in about 10% of cases. But if he has a history of cold sores then he most likely has HSV1 as opposed to HSV2 which does not necessarily 'like' the oral area.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

coping63 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillacupcake View Post
hello everyone...
its been about a month or so since my first OB and they just keep coming one after the other.
does anyone kno of why this could be happening?
my doc said she might put me on suppressive treatment and i dont really wanna if there is another way to avoid the outbreaks.

Now for the second part of my question...
I have only had sex with one person...my current boyfriend.
He had one outbreak a while ago on his mouth (he thought of it as just cold sores...not herpes...even tho i guess its the same thing) and hasnt had one since.
He passed it to my genital area while performing oral.
Now he is going to get tested because i think he doesnt believe he gave it to me.
Is there anyway he could test negative? I dont want him to think i'm a liar and i'm 100% sure he gave this to me because no one has ever touched me down there but him.
Also...how do they test you for herpes if you have no OB's present?
Hi, I can tell from your Post your number one factor for the OB's is Stress, I know it is so hard to believe and to deal with, but you are stressing more over the Fact about your boyfriends feelings then your own. It sounds like he had it first and I would think he will test positive, NO doubt, but you are letting that make you crazy..YOU need to focus on you and getting better, Take it from one who knows..STRESS... its a killer when it comes to this, it is a number 1 factor in how often and how bad my OB's are, but Everyone is Different (truth) Valtrex does help, but it has its side effects, different folks , different strokes.... YOU do what you think is right for you and your situation.... I wish you the Best... Take Care and Feel better.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
(female)

vanillacupcake HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingTruth4Al View Post
<<its been about a month or so since my first OB and they just keep coming one after the other. does anyone kno of why this could be happening?
my doc said she might put me on suppressive treatment and i dont really wanna if there is another way to avoid the outbreaks.>>

Yes everyone reacts differently. Anything you can do to boost your immune system will help you fight off outbreaks. So the age old .... eat right, sleep right, excercise will help out your overall system. Some people also suggest changing your diet to avoid nuts, chocolate and caffeine also helps

<<Now for the second part of my question...I have only had sex with one person...my current boyfriend. He had one outbreak a while ago on his mouth (he thought of it as just cold sores...not herpes...even tho i guess its the same thing) and hasnt had one since. He passed it to my genital area while performing oral. Now he is going to get tested because i think he doesnt believe he gave it to me. Is there anyway he could test negative? I dont want him to think i'm a liar and i'm 100% sure he gave this to me because no one has ever touched me down there but him.
Also...how do they test you for herpes if you have no OB's present?>>

Oral cold sores are herpes ... one and the same. So you specifically were told you had HSV1 on your genitals via a swab culture? When no outbreaks are present you can have (ask for this) "a type specific IgG blood test for both HSV1 and HSV2". If I remember the stats correctly there are some cases where HSV1 does not get picked up in the IgG test in about 10% of cases. But if he has a history of cold sores then he most likely has HSV1 as opposed to HSV2 which does not necessarily 'like' the oral area.
Thank you very much for your advice.
I should probably eat right, sleep, and exercise which are things are dont really do. It's hard tho...to have to change...sigh...i feel like i cant relax. Like oh no...when am i going to get another OB or oh no whats causing this one...what can i do to stop this...will i ever feel normal again?
but yes...the doctor took a swab culture when I had my first OB and the results came in as HSV1.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
(female)

vanillacupcake HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coping63 View Post
Hi, I can tell from your Post your number one factor for the OB's is Stress, I know it is so hard to believe and to deal with, but you are stressing more over the Fact about your boyfriends feelings then your own. It sounds like he had it first and I would think he will test positive, NO doubt, but you are letting that make you crazy..YOU need to focus on you and getting better, Take it from one who knows..STRESS... its a killer when it comes to this, it is a number 1 factor in how often and how bad my OB's are, but Everyone is Different (truth) Valtrex does help, but it has its side effects, different folks , different strokes.... YOU do what you think is right for you and your situation.... I wish you the Best... Take Care and Feel better.
You know what...you're right.
I'm suffering with these OB's and he's not. I need to try to relax and think about myself.
It's hard though...i feel like i'm trying so hard to not stress but so much is going on in my life i dont really kno what else i can do.
I can't help but to think that somehow the test will turn out negative and he'll think i cheated on him or already had this.
Even tho he gave this to me...no doubt in my mind...i really love him and i cant bare to lose him. I guess we shall see what his test says.

Thank you very much for your advice.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:01 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User

He thought it was just a cold sore not herpes??????????

Cold sores ARE HERPES!!!!!!!! He is seriously ignorant about herpes. All you have to do is search for cold sores on the internet and get thousands of pages of information. It's all right at anyone's fingertips! There's really no excuse for not knowing in this day and age!

IN addition, genital herpes can be HSV 1 or 2 and you can easily spread the herpes from your mouth to someone's genitals. The reason you are getting outbreaks all the time now is because he just gave them to you and it's going to take a while for you body to build up the antibodies to fight this off. He has most likely been getting cold sores on his mouth for years (since he was a child) so he has the antibodies already built up and probably only has cold sores occasionally. In my case, it has taken me about 3 years to finally get to where I seldom ever have any outbreaks!

Last edited by keepsgoin; 04-21-2009 at 06:07 AM.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #7
(female)

vanillacupcake HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepsgoin View Post
He thought it was just a cold sore not herpes??????????

Cold sores ARE HERPES!!!!!!!! He is seriously ignorant about herpes. All you have to do is search for cold sores on the internet and get thousands of pages of information. It's all right at anyone's fingertips! There's really no excuse for not knowing in this day and age!

IN addition, genital herpes can be HSV 1 or 2 and you can easily spread the herpes from your mouth to someone's genitals. The reason you are getting outbreaks all the time now is because he just gave them to you and it's going to take a while for you body to build up the antibodies to fight this off. He has most likely been getting cold sores on his mouth for years (since he was a child) so he has the antibodies already built up and probably only has cold sores occasionally. In my case, it has taken me about 3 years to finally get to where I seldom ever have any outbreaks!
He said everyone told him they were just cold sores but he said they were all over his mouth and tongue and he could barely eat. This was before I knew him. I asked him if he went to the doc and he said no. I also said if i woulda seen that i woulda thought it was herpes.
It makes me sad to know that this could have been prevented.
He could have gotten checked and known and this would have never happend to me. I think its weird that he gave it me down there but i've never gotten anything on my mouth?? and i kiss him all the time...what's up with that??
I just hope i get these antibodies soon...

Old 04-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User

Well I have never gotten one on my mouth either and my husband has cold sores often and we always kiss. Herpes is just a strange virus that reacts differently in every single person. When I got my outbreak(genital) for the first time it was horrible...I was sick for a month...I continued to have outbreak after outbreak for 3 years! UGH!

As far as I'm concerned...if it were me...I wouldn't even bother getting the BF tested. If he had cold sores all over his mouth then he HAS herpes! There's no ifs or maybes about it! I wouldn't tell anyone to not be tested but he has herpes you can count on that. And there is a chance to getting false negative test results.

Last edited by keepsgoin; 04-21-2009 at 12:54 PM.

Closed Thread