It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 05:22 AM   #1
(female)

veryworriednow HB User
Transmission of herpes-how can I prevent passing it on???

I am so confused. I know they are different viruses but I have had HPV for 4 years and was only yesterday diagnosed with HSV after a breakout occured.
Does this mean that I recently contracted HSV?? Would I have caught HSV from the same person who gave me HPV? I have a good idea of which partner gave me HPV as the long term girlfriend he had previous to me had exactly the same symptoms - CIN3 cells - at around the same time. Or could it have been someone else??
I feel so ashamed and wish I'd never had sex with ANYONE!!!

Also, my GP tells me HSV is transmitted by SKIN TO SKIN contact and that, in this way, kissing is a risk. I have never kissed anyone with a coldsore I could see but does it mean that I now put anyone at risk that I KISS, never mind have sex with!
What about friends I give a quick kiss on the lips when I say hello to? Am I putting them at risk? Can it be passed on by sharing food and drink?

Does my partner definitely have it if I have it? Of course we have not had sex during this outbreak but does it mean that, if I have aquired it recently somehow that he will get it if he ever has sex with me again?? We have been together for 4 years and I would just hate myself if I gave him the virus
Please help!

Old 04-23-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
Re: Transmission of herpes-how can I prevent passing it on???

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryworriednow View Post
I am so confused. I know they are different viruses but I have had HPV for 4 years and was only yesterday diagnosed with HSV after a breakout occured.
Does this mean that I recently contracted HSV?? Would I have caught HSV from the same person who gave me HPV? I have a good idea of which partner gave me HPV as the long term girlfriend he had previous to me had exactly the same symptoms - CIN3 cells - at around the same time. Or could it have been someone else??
I feel so ashamed and wish I'd never had sex with ANYONE!!!

Also, my GP tells me HSV is transmitted by SKIN TO SKIN contact and that, in this way, kissing is a risk. I have never kissed anyone with a coldsore I could see but does it mean that I now put anyone at risk that I KISS, never mind have sex with!
What about friends I give a quick kiss on the lips when I say hello to? Am I putting them at risk? Can it be passed on by sharing food and drink?

Does my partner definitely have it if I have it? Of course we have not had sex during this outbreak but does it mean that, if I have aquired it recently somehow that he will get it if he ever has sex with me again?? We have been together for 4 years and I would just hate myself if I gave him the virus
Please help!

Hi first off, how were you tested for HSV? If you went to the doctor yesterday and they told you was this from a visual? If they took a culture ask to have it typed or even request an IgG type specific herpes blood test. Also, is it oral or genital?

You can have HSV for years with out any signs or symptoms.. for this reason it is hard to tell where it came from... and also why an estimated 90% of infected people have no idea they have it.

You can get oral if you kiss someone and they have had cold sores(oral herpes) even when there are no visible signs. If you do have this orally you can pass it on to your BF through oral sex and kissing.. if it is genital please see the stats below for transmission but it is only if your HSV is type 2, type 1 tends to shed and transmission a lot lower.

Here are the Female to Male transmission rates

If you have 100 couples where the female has HSV 2 but not the male (these figures are over a year) the odds of female to male transmission are if you do nothing other than avoid sex during an outbreak 4 men out of a 100 will get herpes in a year or 4% If you do go on a suppressive therapy then it drops to 2 men out of a 100 in a year or 2% and if you use suppressive and a condom the chances are 1 man out of a 100 will get herpes in one year or 1%.

The valtrex and transmission study stats are based on having sex 2 times/week.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2009, 05:42 AM   #3
(female)

veryworriednow HB User

Thank you for your reply. I was diagnosed with HSV because of genital ulcers (painful!)

The stats are really scary. I read them as 'the only way my partner can avoid catching it, is to never have sex with me again'.

I just cannot believe this has happened to me!

Last edited by veryworriednow; 05-30-2009 at 05:44 PM. Reason: I have since got a 2nd opinion and was diagnosed with lichen sclerosus et atropicus. NOT HERPES AFTER ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-23-2009, 06:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryworriednow View Post
Thank you for your reply. I was diagnosed with HSV because of genital ulcers (painful!)

The stats are really scary. I read them as 'the only way my partner can avoid catching it, is to never have sex with me again'.

I just cannot believe this has happened to me!
Hi,
Listen I know how hard this is right now on you, It does and will get better.. BUT if he truly loves you he will not care (you cant feel bad if he knows the risks and wants to take it)! He will accept you and HSV. Also, just because the doctor seen there were ulcersdoesnt mean it is herpes.. tell them you want the blood work to type it and wait for the results to come back. If it is a low positive I would get retested in 4 months as this may mean it was a new infection.

It is not the end of the world.. transmission risk for HSV2 is so little compared to if the man had it and the woman didnt.

If you do want to protect him you can go on daily valtrex and use condoms this will put him at a 1% risk and thats per yr not per time.. and this is the same stat as someone using birth control and getting pregnant.

If he cant handle this then there is someone out there that will. Its just a pesky skin condition and 1 in 4 women have it, once again 90% of infected people have no clue they have it. You should also ask him to be tested with the IgG type specific to see where he stands.

Last edited by angeleyz81; 04-23-2009 at 06:42 AM.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
(male)

Philip R Dabney HB User

First of all I would like to say it's not the end of the world. Keep your head to the sky. If your boyfriend loves you he will work threw this with you. the main thing I would say to do is stay positive and do as your doctors tell you, and if you need a friend to talk to I can be your friend. Stay strong.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
(female)

BeenThroughIt HB User

Although there is never (at least not yet) a way to have sex and 100% not pass it on, there are ways to lower the risk significantly. If you take valtrex daily and a condom is always worn the risk of transmitting herpes when no symptoms are showing is way lower. Good luck and I recommend sticking with this board, it really helped me understand that life does go on past finding this out and that love can still be found.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
(female)

hurting2 HB User

You guys are really supportive here. Glad I found this site. Some of things you guys say, really helps to put my mind at ease and move on living with HSV. Still can't believe i got too. Although, I did have a promiscuous past but I was supposedly tested back in 03' after three years of marriage with my hubbie and we both came up 'clean'. Never been with anyone outside of my marriage before we got tested which is why I'm baffled of how I was tested. I may have had it and they didn't test me for it. I got copies of the results back then, but i can't find them to see if i was tested for herpes.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
(female)

veryworriednow HB User
Smile Re: Transmission of herpes-how can I prevent passing it on???

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for your support and helpful information. After that first diagnosis I was so distressed I decided to go to another female Dr for a second opinion. I STRONGLY recommend this for anyone with apparent symptoms of HSV. The second Dr told me that I had in fact been misdiagnosed and that what I was suffering from was a skin condition called Lichen Sclorosis. I was prescribed some cortisone cream, the sores healed and have not as yet returned (it may stay dormant for a life time!). It has been over a year now.
The new diagnosis was preferable but I will never feel quite sure after that terrible scare!!!
I now take Vitamin B & C and horseradish & garlic tablets daily to help boost my immune system to ward off any further viruses or infections of any kind! A healthy diet, daily exercise and reduced stress are a part of my life now as I promised myself if I got better that I would never take my health for granted again!!

For women who are given this diagnosis I recommend joining a bellydancing group as this is a wonderful supportive environment. OF COURSE you don't have to tell them about your condition - just being in such a group helps make you feel stronger and supported.

In short, my advice is:
Do ANYTHING that improves your life and makes you happy, healthy and strong!!!

Old 06-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
(female)

BeenThroughIt HB User

Hey I am just wondering how the doctor new you were misdiagnosed. Did the new doctor do tests or just tell you by looking?

Also, to go along with belly dancing, kick boxing is awesome!

Last edited by BeenThroughIt; 06-07-2010 at 04:17 PM.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #10
(female)

hurting2 HB User

Wow! A misdiagnosis? Go figure. You know, i'm all for that. That's why i stopped crying and started fighting for my body back. I used to be on the garlic tabs for my cholesterol. I did a colonic but I was also on a regular vitamins with extra vitamin d, iron, cod liver oil and a liver detox. I have done a detox quite frequently. I think when i started to eat too much sweet stuff and not enough health stuff and stopped my vitamins, my body kicked into reverse. I read somewhere about doing a detox that's suppose to rid the body of the herpes virus that the the longer you have the virus the longer it make take to get rid of it. And also, you have to be careful not to get reinfected with it.

My hubbie finally went to the dr. today to get tested too. They have also a test they do with the testing the urine but they didn't have the kit. So he's going back to do that.

I was thinking of what another poster said on an old thread about never being 'cured' from herpes and that the antibodies are with you for life. That maybe true that the antibodies maybe with you for life like the chicken pox. But for one thing, once you have built up an immunity to the chicken pox, you are supposedly never suppose to be effected by it if you come into contact with someone who has it, i.e. our children.

Anyhow, the poster said we can never be 'cured' but I beg to differ. The makers of herbal supplements can't say they have a cure because of government regulations. But the government can't stop me from saying i wasn't 'cured' by herbal supplements because I'm not regulated to by 'them'. That's why the companies of herbal supplements posts testimonies. The government can't silence them from giving testimonies from 'real people'.

I'm looking into the ozone therapy now. I might try the ozonated olive oil. It sounds interesting. I'm with 'veryworriednow', we must do what ever we can to get our immune as strong as it ever was. I don't believe it's too late for any of us no matter how long you've had it. I strongly disagree with 'suppressive' drugs. It's like put a band aid on over a gunshot wound and never removing the bullet!

Last edited by hurting2; 06-07-2010 at 05:34 PM.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #11
(female)

veryworriednow HB User
Smile Re: Transmission of herpes-how can I prevent passing it on???

Thanks guys. YES! I totally agree, kickboxing or any martial arts is a great way to rebuild confidence! If kickboxing sounds like too much for you, Tai Chi is also great!

The second opinion Dr just had a look - as did the first for that matter. I also took Chinese Medicine for the lichen schlorosis and I have great faith in TCM - as long as you are diligent with the treatments!
Also my TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) Dr recommended not wearing stockings/panythose or anything that makes you hot and sweaty in that general region. Cotton pants and long skirts if it's cold and use babypowder if its a hot day. This has seemed to help.

Oh and of course... LOTS of extra water!! I was prescribed a herbal tea made from Astragalus root. Astragalus has been used for thousands of years as a powerful immune building herb. It MUST be prescribed by a TCM Dr though as it can cause the body to heat up, so the dose must be regulated by your TCM Dr.

Hope this helps! I'd be interested to know what success people have had with Naturopaths too? They are quite expensive in Australia so I thought I'd ask for opinions first

Closed Thread