It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
(female)

Lovemydegus HB User
how do they test for herpes?

Hey everyone.

I have a question and hopeing for some good answers lol.

I was diagnosed with genital herpes about 7 years ago and was seeing the midwife that delivered my daughter before I got herpes and she was prescribing my Valtrex. Well my midwife has left the state to open a practice across the country so I need another health professional the prescribe me my valtrex. Well I forgot to get a copy of my medical records before my midwife left so I dont have proof that I had a test that prooved that I did in fact have herpes. I completly forgot how they test for herpes, is done by blood or do they have to swab the sores?? cause I dont want anyone touching me down there, I was molested by a doctor several years ago and I didnt trust anyone but my midwife and she knew it, thats why she continued to treat me even though she really only did pregnant women stuff. Now if they can do a blood test then I'm fine with that, but I really need a refill in my valtrex as my stress is so bad right now, and very time I'm stressed I get outbreaks and it hurts so bad I could cry. Whatever shall I do??

Thanks

Old 08-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
(female)

seeksbliss HB User
Re: how do they test for herpes?

Yes, it's done by bloodtest. They CAN do a swab if you want when there's an outbreak, but bloodwork called IgG will take care of it. Just don't let them give you bloodwork called IgM, as it's not dependable from what I've read here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
(female)

seeksbliss HB User

By the way, the swab test isn't particularly accurate either, because if you don't do it just at the right precise time during an outbreak, it will show negative.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Truthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB User

You can go to an STD clinic and ask for the IgG blood test - HerpeSelect is the most common 'brand name' here is the U.S. You can also order a blood test on some sites *health * check *usa has walk in labs in Washington that you can get the test done.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
(female)

hwoods86 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeksbliss View Post
Yes, it's done by bloodtest. They CAN do a swab if you want when there's an outbreak, but bloodwork called IgG will take care of it. Just don't let them give you bloodwork called IgM, as it's not dependable from what I've read here.
Again, thank you all for your helpful information. I was just wondering, since being diagnosed last month my boyfriend and I think it would be a good idea for him to get tested. He has shown no signs of having the virus, but I personally know that it can hide out for a long time. so I was wondering if the blood tests can be done without an outbreak ever being noticeably present?

Old 08-11-2009, 05:51 PM   #6
(female)

seeksbliss HB User

Yes, I had no outbreaks for 7 years and didn't even know I had it. Maybe had it much longer than that. They could an IgG ANYTIME and tell you if have it, but the test should be done at least 3-4 mo AFTER the last time you were with an infected person to be sure you didn't just catch it. It takes that long for the body to build antibodies and fight it, so they don't show up in the test until then.

Closed Thread