It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2009, 08:38 PM  
(female)

seeksbliss HB User
Read Happy Couples Thread & now have questions please

It's very inspirational and I decided to read the Happy Boards because I'm feeling down in the dumps tonight. It's all still new to me, so I guess I need more time. I'm going to be very blunt with my questions and hope they can be answered, but many of them came up after reading the Happy Boards.
#1. - How does one apply, use or drink Garlic Oil and can you buy it anywhere?
#2. - I don't understand what I am reading about vaginal cuts/tears/razor like lines, etc. Is that something a lot of women get from having herpes? Is that part of it, just like an OB is part of it, or do some of you never get that?
#3. Oral sex plays a huge part in our lives. I'm very depressed about the risk for him, esp since he doesn't have herpes 2 like me.
#4. - If I have never had oral herpes, or even a coldsore, but do have herpes 1 & 2, can I give HIM herpes just by going down on him?? Do we shed through our mouths or something? I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but I don't know.
#5. - I keep seeing Vulvar Vesitbulitis mentioned, but people say it is NOT caused by herpes, so it it a coincidence that some women have it??
#6. - I mentioned I just had my first OB two weeks ago and had a quarter size red spot with a lot of little bumps on it. Many said it was mild for a first OB, but someone else just said that a quarter is a big size for an OB. That would seem big if in my vagina, but it seems small since it's on my butt.
Thanks so much to anyone who cares to answer these questions for me and others, but I'm glad I read the Happy Boards! There's hope!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2009, 10:31 AM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

coping63 HB User
Re: Read Happy Couples Board & now have questions please

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeksbliss View Post
It's very inspirational and I decided to read the Happy Boards because I'm feeling down in the dumps tonight. It's all still new to me, so I guess I need more time. I'm going to be very blunt with my questions and hope they can be answered, but many of them came up after reading the Happy Boards.
#1. - How does one apply, use or drink Garlic Oil and can you buy it anywhere?
#2. - I don't understand what I am reading about vaginal cuts/tears/razor like lines, etc. Is that something a lot of women get from having herpes? Is that part of it, just like an OB is part of it, or do some of you never get that?
#3. Oral sex plays a huge part in our lives. I'm very depressed about the risk for him, esp since he doesn't have herpes 2 like me.
#4. - If I have never had oral herpes, or even a coldsore, but do have herpes 1 & 2, can I give HIM herpes just by going down on him?? Do we shed through our mouths or something? I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but I don't know.
#5. - I keep seeing Vulvar Vesitbulitis mentioned, but people say it is NOT caused by herpes, so it it a coincidence that some women have it??
#6. - I mentioned I just had my first OB two weeks ago and had a quarter size red spot with a lot of little bumps on it. Many said it was mild for a first OB, but someone else just said that a quarter is a big size for an OB. That would seem big if in my vagina, but it seems small since it's on my butt.
Thanks so much to anyone who cares to answer these questions for me and others, but I'm glad I read the Happy Boards! There's hope!

Old 08-18-2009, 10:45 AM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

coping63 HB User

Hi Chick..

Those are all good questions. Hope these answers help.

1. Garlic comes in many forms, capsule, oil and an extract, plus the regular kind we use in foods, some people with herpes actually put the oil on the affected area, this can cause burning especially if it is a new OB, so I wouldn;t suggest that route.. You can digest the capsule or use the oil in your foods... be mindful if you are allergic to onions, leeks don't use garlic at all...

2. the cuts , razor and tears are all part of an OB, everyone is different, some people will get just a bump that itches and burns, some people get sores, so this is common but it doesn;t happen to everyone...

3. oral sex, you have HSV1 and 2 of the genitals, so no it would be very unlikely for you to pass it to your boyfriend in this manner, but if you are concerned, you can use a condom, it is not the same but it will keep you from worrying, as far as him catching it from you by preforming oral, the chance is always there even when no symptoms are present, so to elimate the risk you can use a dental dam..

4. Vulvar Vesitbulitis, is simple swelling of the vulvar and the surrounding areas of the vaginal, this can be caused by many things, bubble bath, soap powder, rubbing of your underwear, I think women with herpes are just more prone because they are already inflammed during an OB, but not all women get it, it depends again on the person.

5. I think your description of your first OB was mild compared to others I have read about, but everyone reacts different so people have different opinions..

You take care and feel better soon, it takes time but it gets better... Promise

Old 08-18-2009, 01:24 PM  
(female)

seeksbliss HB User

Thank you so much for your answers! I've asked some of these before, but when I'm upset, I think I don't retain some of what I learn for a while. My mind is crazy these last few weeks with this shocking news. The other thing I didn't ask is....what about deep kissing each other when I have both and he only has HSV 1? The other frightening thing is....will he ever be able to do oral sex on me without taking a chance? He loves it and so do I! I imagine the answer is NO and that just kills us both. It's just can't be the same using oral devices.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:30 PM  
(female)

seeksbliss HB User

I'm sorry about my confusion,but when you said, " it is not the same but it will keep you from worrying, as far as him catching it from you by preforming oral, the chance is always there.." Were you talking about him doing oral on me or vice versa?

Old 08-18-2009, 02:42 PM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

Truthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB User
Re: Read Happy Couples Thread & now have questions please

[QUOTE=seeksbliss;4060149]#2. - I don't understand what I am reading about vaginal cuts/tears/razor like lines, etc. Is that something a lot of women get from having herpes? Is that part of it, just like an OB is part of it, or do some of you never get that?

I have gotten the tears. Usually noticed them right at end of my period which I attributed to wiping too much during 'that time'. But on reflection, they most likely were outbreaks. Everyone is different. One time I had just a pimple like bump that burned like sunburn. Sometimes the tears and sometimes just an itch at my anal region that drives me bonkers. Gives new meaning to 'you got ants in your pants?'

Old 08-18-2009, 03:15 PM  
(female)

seeksbliss HB User

Wow...I hadn't thought of that, but my anal region has been itching like mad for the last few years! I wouldn't even know I had herpes 2 if I hadn't gotten an infected lymph gland vaginally and they didn't know what it was at first. I hope I never have an OB vaginally, since my OB was on my rear and only hurt slightly for a day or two, but is just now almost totally gone two weeks later (today.) However, I know it's very possible that I could have vaginal OB in future. Best of luck to you! I felt my skin crawling a few inches from my disppearing OB site last night and it made me very nervous! Can I ask....do we even have to be careful of spreading herpes from one part of our body to another even when we're not having OB's?? Can we spread it to ourselves when we're not even aware that we are shedding, too?

Old 08-18-2009, 04:12 PM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

Truthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB User

<Can I ask....do we even have to be careful of spreading herpes from one part of our body to another even when we're not having OB's?? Can we spread it to ourselves when we're not even aware that we are shedding, too?>

Check out the auto inoculation section of the Herpes Handbook. It is rare and usually can only occur in the first few months of having herpes. Typically it occurs with the very first outbreak when you don't know you have it and touch/rub other parts of your body. If you have had it for years, you don't have to worry about auto inoculation. BUT good hygiene is always the best way to go.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:52 PM  
(female)

seeksbliss HB User

REally? That's good to hear, because I thought I read on here that you must always wash your hands and be careful not to touch yourself years into it. That makes a little hopeful at least in THAT area. I'm so inquisitive, I know, but need to know things and I appreciate your responses! HEre's another one for you if you don't mind. Do you happen to know this one?....if a person who has a mild strain and is lucky enough to have maybe one OB every few years or one a year and they give HSV 2 to their mate who otherwise didn't have it....would he therefore contract a mild strain of it himself or does it all depend on how his immune system handles it? Some say immune system has nothing really to do with it. Thanks!

Old 08-18-2009, 09:08 PM  
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User

About oral sex (it's a big part of my life too): If you are giving and he is receiving, and you do not have herpes orally, you have a 99% chance of NOT passing it to him.

If he is giving and you are receiving, it's riskier, but the worst case scenario is that he gets oral herpes. I.e., cold sores. For most people, that is a reasonable risk. Like I said elsewhere on the boards, I'd personally prefer a cold sore to an H outbreak genitally.

Not to be indelicate here, but if you treat matters like the books recommend you treat anal sex (not going from anal to vaginal, but vaginal to anal is OK, or washing before going from anal to vaginal, if that makes sense), you keep the risks quite low.

Also- I've had quarter sized (and bigger) sores, and they were 2nd, 3rd and 4th outbreaks. "Big" is relative. If you're upset and in pain, and uncomfortable and the sore seems huge to you, then it's huge. If you don't think it's that big, then it isn't. Speaking only from personal experience, your first OB was smaller than mine. Others' mileage may vary.

As for your mild strain question - just my opinion, but we don't know enough about strengths of strains, or whether its the virus or the immune system itself that makes it so that some people have no outbreaks and other people have tons. It's best to behave and take precautions as if all strains can cause outbreaks.

Last edited by sedulous; 08-18-2009 at 09:08 PM.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:44 AM  
(female)

seeksbliss HB User

Regarding oral sex, when you said, "and if you don't have herpes orally," do you mean I don't VISIBLY have it orally or I don't have it according to my bloodtest. I have 1 & 2, but have never had anything close to a cold sore. Is it stupid to ask if we "shed" through our mouths/throats too and could be shedding and not know it when giving oral sex? The reason we fear oral sex is because of the pictures we've seen where people have herpes all over parts of their faces and eyes. I know that's extreme, but apparently, it can happen. A regular cold sore, we could handle. Your response was very informative and detailed and I really appreciate that! Thank you!

Last edited by seeksbliss; 08-19-2009 at 06:45 AM.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:32 AM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

coping63 HB User

Im glad it helped, Yes if you have HSV1 and have had an OB on your lips or chin area, you would shed the same as you would if you have an OB in the genital area, But since you have had no symptom via mouth I would say NO... I have genital Herpes HSV1 and 2 also and have never had an oral OB and I have never had a partner with it... Yes you are correct, some cases can be extreme and it is usually with a new OB, it is easier to spread to other areas at first, and sorely depends on the person, but normally not the majority.. Proper hygenie is the best way and should always be practiced, after your body builts up the antibodies then the chance of reinfected yourself in other areas is less likely and disminishes over time.. I know you are worried and you have every right to be, keep asking questions if you are unsure to sort out information, education is the way to deal with it, but like I said before, YOU are you and how your body reacts is going to be different then me or someone else, try to focus on what is and not what could be it will make you crazy.... One day at a time.. take care.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:46 PM  
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User

There's no way to know for sure, but it is possible to have both genitally, or HSV1 orally and HSV2 genitally and vice versa. I have HSV1 genitally, had always tested negative for both strains prior to contracting it genitally.
Hygiene is about the best preventative, like Coping63 said.