It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
(female)

she11 HB User
how contagious is herpes after 20 years

I have been infected with herpes for over 20 years. Not sure which type.

Initially I had about 4 outbreaks in the first year. Then nothing for 5 years after a traumatic personal problem brought this outbreak on (not related to herpes).

I thought for years that maybe I had somehow "missed" outbreaks considering it was so long since I had one, but when I experienced this one I knew exactly what it was. There was absolutely no mistake. I felt the warning signs (tingling, itching, and ultimately the outbreak.) It lasted for about 3 days, and I wasnt worried/frightened/depressed. I just dealt with it and waited for it to pass.

That was 14 and a half years ago.

I have not had another outbreak since, nor have I had any warning signs (again, I'm thinking I somehow might have "missed it", although I am fully in tune with my body, and also check myself regularly.)

So my question is this: all over forums, it states that you shed inbetween outbreaks. What if that outbreak has a gap of 14 plus years? Then what is the rate of shedding?

I dont think anybody really knows the answer to this question, as I have searched far and wide!! I know that inbetween outbreaks there is a risk of transmission, but after14 years, I am intrigued!

Old 10-27-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
Re: how contagious is herpes after 20 years

consider yourself lucky! They say over time the outbreaks and risk of transmission decreases but I am not sure sure of the transmission rate, I mean in general the risk of transmission isn't that much from woman to a man, and is even less if you have HSV1.

I myself went 9 yrs without an outbreak after being diagnosed...then like you mentioned i was highly stressed lots going on in my life which made me have that outbreak in the 9th yr.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Truthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB User

There was a study I remember that was published around August 2008 that said that even 10 years after intial infection, patients were still shedding HSV2 around 14% of days. It was done by the Univ. of Washington I believe. You may be able to find it with herpes viral shedding continues for more than a decade.

It was not good news for us HSV2 sufferers. It was thought that over time you shed less but this study seems to indicate otherwise. It would just be so much easier if you could tell when you were shedding. Hopefully some day some home kit will be available so you can test and see if shedding. But until then be safe out there....

Old 10-28-2009, 12:33 AM   #4
(female)

she11 HB User

Thanks for your messages guys. Yes I agree it would be great if there was a home testing kit!!

There is just no way of knowing when one is shedding, or how long each shedding episode without an outbreak lasts.

However I thought I read somewhere that the rate of shedding is around 4% in a year. This is clearly a very debatable subject.

Come on clever doctors, invent a home testing kit similar to a pregnancy test!!

Last edited by she11; 10-28-2009 at 12:42 AM.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by she11 View Post
Thanks for your messages guys. Yes I agree it would be great if there was a home testing kit!!

There is just no way of knowing when one is shedding, or how long each shedding episode without an outbreak lasts.

However I thought I read somewhere that the rate of shedding is around 4% in a year. This is clearly a very debatable subject.

Come on clever doctors, invent a home testing kit similar to a pregnancy test!!
LOL I agree my life would be so much easier if I knew when my "shedding" days were

Old 10-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by she11 View Post
if i could just ask, during the 9 years without an outbreak, did you ever pass on the virus? I haven't in 20 years, so I am just curious
Not that I am aware of, my ex husband and I were together 4 yrs and did not use protection he was tested after me and he is negative, My ex boyfriend was negative and my current boyfriend he is negative

Old 01-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

i dont agree with the "shedding" theory at all,because i have been with a woman that has had herpes for over 20yrs now and i have not contracted it.we do all kinds of intimate lovemaking,oral,and regular,and not so regular,and i am clean.what i think happens is instead of shedding like everyone says,i think people are having an outbreak and sometimes the blisters cannot be seen until they have scabbed over,keep in mind this is in people that have had h for a long time,years in fact.i think they are actually having an outbreak and cannot tell it and this is when the transmission of h is happening.i dont think there is anything to this virul shedding stuff.it may happen to me tommorrow who knows,but as of yet it has not.im basing all this on my own experience.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:44 PM   #8
(female)

withbaggage HB User

20 years or 20 days herpies does not just go away whether you having a ob or not and you still could be shreading even if u not having symptoms and even after 20 years you could still pass this virus on to someone else

Old 01-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by withbaggage View Post
20 years or 20 days herpies does not just go away whether you having a ob or not and you still could be shreading even if u not having symptoms and even after 20 years you could still pass this virus on to someone else
yuo may be right and you may not be right,who made you the expert?noone said anything about herpes going away or anything about not being able pass the virius to someone else,you need to read better before you post,it will make you look not so dumb in the future.i still stand by what i wrote,i do not believe in the herpes virus shedding,i think this is all made up to keep people thinking they are worthless just because they have herpes.hell,all herpes is is a skin disease,a disease of the skin,thats all.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #10
(female)

notruefeelings HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark-o-cet View Post
i dont agree with the "shedding" theory at all,because i have been with a woman that has had herpes for over 20yrs now and i have not contracted it.we do all kinds of intimate lovemaking,oral,and regular,and not so regular,and i am clean.what i think happens is instead of shedding like everyone says,i think people are having an outbreak and sometimes the blisters cannot be seen until they have scabbed over,keep in mind this is in people that have had h for a long time,years in fact.i think they are actually having an outbreak and cannot tell it and this is when the transmission of h is happening.i dont think there is anything to this virul shedding stuff.it may happen to me tommorrow who knows,but as of yet it has not.im basing all this on my own experience.
Interesting theory! I like it!

Old 03-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark-o-cet View Post
I realize this thread is kinda old but others may still be reading this....to be clear...just because a person does not break out in a herpes rash/lesions/etc does not in any way mean that they have not contracted herpes! To be sure, you'd have to go have a blood test taken specifically for herpes to know! Lack of outward signs does not mean that you are not carrying herpes and you could even spread it to others without even knowing you have it!

Closed Thread