It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
(female)

july231980 HB User
False Positive Herpes blood test

I'm going to try to give as much background as possible but also keep this short and sweet.

I was told on Friday I tested positive for HSV 1. I have been married for 5 years. I have been tested for STD's every 6 months to a year ever since first becoming sexually active regardless of weather i had a new partner or not. I continued to get tested for a 1 1/2 years after marring my husband. (not really relivent but we got married 4 months after we met) I have NEVER tested positive for anything EVER!!! Needless to say I immediatly assumed my husband cheated on me as I know I have not been with anyone since meeting my husband. My husband got tested and has tested negative. (blood test IgG)

Not sure which blood test i got.

HAve never had symptoms. i do get a pimple like rash on my buttocks, which I have gotten since I was a child, if this was an outbreak I would assume I would have tested positive sooner.

Forgot to state above that we have two children together and I was tested then also and came out negative. I was tested about 11 months ago last and was negative.

Is it possible to have a false positive blood test?

If my husband tested negative I'm sure that means either he IS negative or he doesn't have enough antibodies built up.

Does this mean I got it first if that is the case that he doesn't have enough antibodies built up?

Is there any other way to get this other then by kissing, oral sex or intercourse?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
Re: False Positive Herpes blood test

Quote:
Originally Posted by july231980 View Post
I'm going to try to give as much background as possible but also keep this short and sweet.

I was told on Friday I tested positive for HSV 1. I have been married for 5 years. I have been tested for STD's every 6 months to a year ever since first becoming sexually active regardless of weather i had a new partner or not. I continued to get tested for a 1 1/2 years after marring my husband. (not really relivent but we got married 4 months after we met) I have NEVER tested positive for anything EVER!!! Needless to say I immediatly assumed my husband cheated on me as I know I have not been with anyone since meeting my husband. My husband got tested and has tested negative. (blood test IgG)

HAve never had symptoms. i do get a pimple like rash on my buttocks, which I have gotten since I was a child, if this was an outbreak I would assume I would have tested positive sooner.

Forgot to state above that we have two children together and I was tested then also and came out negative. I was tested about 11 months ago last and was negative.

If my husband tested negative I'm sure that means either he IS negative or he doesn't have enough antibodies built up.

Does this mean I got it first if that is the case that he doesn't have enough antibodies built up?

Is there any other way to get this other then by kissing, oral sex or intercourse?
I would suggest you find out which type of test you had and what your numeric values are. Do you ever get cold sores? Yes there is a chance for false positives, this is the reason i suggest you ask for your index/numeric vaules

Old 10-29-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
(female)

july231980 HB User

Nope never had a cold sore in my life, neither has my husband. I'm thinking I'm going to go to my old OB/GYN ans have another blood test and have the pimples swapped.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
(female)

july231980 HB User

just to add to my origanaly post the pimples on my buttocks are in a single form not in a cluster like most pictures i've seen online.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

Quote:
Nope never had a cold sore in my life, neither has my husband. I'm thinking I'm going to go to my old OB/GYN ans have another blood test and have the pimples swapped.
You can have them swabbed, but if it is more then 24-48hours after first appearing the results can come back false.

I agree get another test and see what the results are

Old 10-30-2009, 02:12 AM   #6
(female)

july231980 HB User

thats the other thing. I have always had them and they just don't go away. If they were an outbreak i would be having an outbreak since I was 7. So i really don't think its an outbreak. I just think I have a pimply butt

Old 10-30-2009, 06:06 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
thats the other thing. I have always had them and they just don't go away. If they were an outbreak i would be having an outbreak since I was 7. So i really don't think its an outbreak. I just think I have a pimply butt
Thats true though can happen, my ex best friend had that. Just get another test done and find out what the values are from that Make sure the both of you had the IgG herpes type specific as the IgM is worthless

Old 11-01-2009, 07:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

keepsgoin HB User

Yes there are ways to catch HSV1 other than sexual! HSV1 is normally associated with the cold sore(mouth) herpes virus. Absolutely! You may have even caught it from one of your children. So many people have hsv1 it's like about 80% of the population! Most children get it from drinking after someone. Maybe being kissed by Grandma...whatever...So let's say your child drank after some other child at daycare and caught it and you kissed your child...voila...HSV1! Recently when taking a course in Cosmetology...they were stressing sanitation and were telling how easily unsanitary tools can spread HSV1! Even though some will tell you it dies quickly...according to the CDC it stays active for quite a while like 24 hours! I certainly wouldn't freak over being told you have HVS1...it is very common! Unfortunately the word herpes has a stigma attached to it that really needs some education!

Old 11-02-2009, 04:00 AM   #9
(female)

july231980 HB User

Thanks for the posts guys, I really appriciate it. i asked my OB for my medical records on Fri. Hopefully they will have them for me on Monday. I still have a million questions in my head, but unfourtnatly they will probably never get answered. Depending on what the Numeric values are i'll go and get re tested. I'm just completley baffeled that my husband is neg. ***???

Old 11-02-2009, 08:18 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yeah this is a tricky virus, just because one person has it doesn't mean the other will always get it Please keep us posted when you get your results

Old 11-03-2009, 01:22 AM   #11
(female)

july231980 HB User

yeah, i'm curious to see what my numbers are, since I've been tested before and never tested positive it leaves me to believe its a recent infection. I'm just having a hard time wondering if my husband cheated or where did i get it? Well find out soon enough I guess. Haven't gotten the med. reports yet. Dr. office was supposed to fax them to me but found out my fax machine was down!!!

Old 11-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #12
(female)

derbin247 HB User

Quote:

This is similar to my situation. I have always been tested. I have a 4 year old and was tested then. I was tested every six months since then. My boyfriend and I were tested before we slept together. (turns out he was never tested for herpes) Mine all came back negative. I just got tested again routinely last month and I got the call that I have Type 2. My boyfriend got tested and he is negative. I dont get it. I dont get it at all. We are both going in to get retested. This situation is crazy. I was negative and now I am positive. But he is negative... Which test is wrong?

Please report what your test results are when you get them

Old 11-05-2009, 01:20 AM   #13
(female)

july231980 HB User

i will. I'm going in tomorrow to get retested. Have had a hell of a time getting my Dr. office to tell me what test they gave me and what my numbers are??? makes me wonder if my questions have made them relize they made a mistake (probably wishful thinking) On a positive note my research online has said the IgG test does have a false positive rate of 10% (how reliable the source I can't say) I'm going in to a place that gives you the actually numbers in an email. Should have by monday night.

Another question for anyone with some knowledge. My husband and I were just talking about this again. He really doesn't think I have it but he told me he used to get cold sores ALL the time as a kid???? But he tested negative. Isn't cold sores always herpes??? If so maybe theres hope that your body can get rid of it. (wishful thinking again) Maybe I should turn his body over to science??? I would think by now he would have enough antibodies to test positive if he had it as a kid. ( i saw his tests results so I know it waas indeed negative)

My understanding from talking to the nurse who gave my husband his test was HSV 1 can only be passed when you have an outbreak (HSV 2 I can't say i think its whenever) I tested negative my whole life until last week. Last test was 11 months ago. I know I have not been in contact with anyone who had an outbreak and my husband is the ONLY one in five years to be anywhere near "down there" So i'm very confused, do Dr's just not know for sure when you can pass it, was I given unreliable info?? My best bet is to see what my new tests say but in the mean time I CAN NOT SLEEP! I'm afraid of passing it to my husband or worse my children!!! My husband has been great with it, he says "oh well we're married so who cares if i get it" but still!!! if its true it can only be passed when you have an outbreak then good that helps alot but what if it ccan be passed whenever. I gave birth to my 2 month old vaginally and what if she has it now. I'm having her tested also since it can cause death in infants.

Sorry this is so long but needed to rant.

P.s. not sure if I have it orally or genitally but if I had to guess I would say genitally.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:29 AM   #14
(female)

july231980 HB User

And just to respond to keepsgoin's post ( not trying to contradict you or argue, I just don't understand and am trying to) you stated that I must have gotten it from one of my kids?? My husband kisses our kids just as much as me if not more. My 3 year old is very much a daddies girl and is always hangin on him. We both give them a kiss good night on a nightly basis, so i don't think i would have gotten it there.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi July,
It seems as though your husband should have tested positive for HSV1 if he has had cold sores because it is transmitted via oral to genital even when no signs or symptoms are present. I wonder which test your husband had done?

Hmmm yes there is room for error in the IgG test but most of the error would occur if you had a low positive, its unfortunate you are having a hard time getting the information from the doctor. It is possible they made a mistake, I had a doctor tell me I was negative and 5 yrs later I find out I had it all along and the test itself said I was positive but the doctor read the IgM results not the IgG. Hey no one is perfect huh? lol Hey if your hubby is indeed negative, please turn him over to science maybe he has the cure we are waiting for lol I wish you the best and keep us posted.

Closed Thread