It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
(male)

frustrated7 HB User
going crazy! Is this herpes or not? please help

Hi guys, Im new to this thread. On january 1, 2008 I recieved unprotected oral sex from a girl I had just met. She didn't have anything on her lips. Before this I was not sexually active at all for 4 years and all was bliss down there. About 5 days after this sexual encounter,I woke up and had a stinging at the tip of my penis for a few minutes but it went away. then that night I got a real bad burning feeling in the pubic area above my penis shaft. It felt like it was burning from within. The next day I had a lowgrade fever, felt out of sorts, burning in the genital region all over and the urge to urinate alot. It didn't hurt when I urinated. There was no sores, blisters, cuts, rashes, or lesions on my penis at all. No itching or tingling. The lowgrade fever and genital burning continued for a month but was not as bad as when it began and I noticed that when I walked my penis chaffed against my underwear like it was rubbing against sandpaper. The genital area felt raw and sensitive to the touch also. When I urinated now, it did burn a bit after urinating but not during. I went to the doc and he said that its not herpes and if it was herpes, you would see something by now, he did a visual inspection to make sure and said no herpes. He urine tested me for chlamydia, gonorrhea, urethritis and all came back negative. He gave me 1 week of doxycycline and 4 pills of azithromax. It didn't help, the genital burning continued. After 7 weeks, my lowgrade fever/out of sorts feeling went away but the genital burning and penis chaffing when I walked continued. Also my genital region felt like it was radiating heat all the time. I did notice that the head of my penis would occasionally look scaley after a day of walking and it would get all pasty white and flaky sometimes especially after masterbation but when I apply water to it, it would be fine. Also, I noticed a couple minutes after masterbation, the tip of my penis would burn for like 2 hours after and the skin would be very raw and even more sensitive. Also, when I urinated, my urine stream was weaker. I took antibiotics for trichmonaisis too just in case. After two months I went back to the doctor and he checked me again by doing a cotton swab of my urethra for chlamydia, urethritis, gonorhea and again all came back negative. I got a HIV test done 5 months after the encounter and it too was negative. I went to a urologist in May 2009 and he did a cytoscopy where they put a tube up your pee hole (ouch!) and he diagnosed me as having prostatitis. Still I wasn't convinced cuz I experience the skin pain which is centralized pretty much at the head of my penis and especially sensitive at the tip. I also noticed my bowel movements in the past 6 months have changed. Im passing harder and lumpier stool most of the time and it seems to hurt my anus when it passes thru. As a result, I tend to have a sore anus after i pass stool which itches and burns now too.

I went and got a herpeselect IGG test done in August 2009 (7 months after exposure) and I tested negative for HSV 2 and positive for HSV 1. However, I do get a fever blister on my upper lip once every two years or so. So I know I have Hsv 1 orally from childhood. I just want to know if this could be HSV 1 Genital Herpes. I still dont have any visible sores or anything. All I have is a raw burning skin feeling at the head of my penis, especially the tip is so sensitive that any movement will hurt it. It burns post ejaculation and my pee hole looks a little red and inflamed after ejaculation for a couple hours. I used to be a very athletic person but I cant even play sports, or even have sex because of the constant pain I experience when my penis rubs against something. The only time I have relief is when Im in the shower or lying in bed, other than that, I have constant pain when I move around. Think of it as sandpaper rubbing against the head of the penis all the time causing it to sting and burn all the time. Kind of like constant friction burn. I once applied Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion on the head of my penis and it burned even more! It seemed to make it worse and the next day the head of my penis was tingling.Last month for about 2 weeks I applied Hydrocortizone cream but it didn't help. It did make the skin on my penis head a little rougher for a couple of days and I noticed some peeling on the right side of the penis head. Don't know it that was because of the cream, but thought I would add that in there too.

My question is how possible is it that this can be Herpes? It has been 10 months now and I constantly have sensitivity at the tip of my penis and genital burning (even though the genital burning has subsided). I heard herpes symptoms come and go. I read Most Herpes Outbreaks usually dont last longer than 6 weeks or so. What else could have caused this from an oral sex encounter? Im in a dilemma because even if it was genital herpes, how could I tell? Im not producing any visible signs down there so I cant swab the affected area to send it to the lab for testing and my test result only showed positive for HSV 1 but that could be just oral HSV 1. Do you think it is fungal? Im extremely depressed and dont know how much longer I can take this. I put my dating life on hold cuz Im trying to figure out what this is. Its just constant low grade genital burning and the tip of my penis is always sensitive to anything it touches. Could this be prostatitis? I dont know if prostatitis would cause these symptoms either. I dont know if you can get prostatitis from oral sex.

If anyone has any advice or opinions, I would greatly appreciate to hear it. I hope someone could shed some light on this or if anyone has seen a case like mine. Im so sorry for the long post but I need to get everything out. Hope to hear from you soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
Re: going crazy! Is this herpes or not? please help

Hello,
I am not sure it would be herpes, herpes can cause the flu like symptoms but so can prostatitis. Everyone wont always show signs or symptoms, and you having HSV1 would make your chances of getting type 1 genitally low since you already have the antibodies in your system.

If this feeling keeps up I suggest you go back to the doctor and see if they can run more test or something... sorry I couldn't be of more help..

Old 03-22-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
(male)

tcl08 HB User

Damn, I almost thought i was the one writing this. This is exactly my situation. I have also done cystoscopy, i have been on cipro, levaquin, penicilin IV, Azithromax, doxycycline, acyclovir. I have never ever had any outbreak. Since i had the un-protected sex in Aug of 09, it's been a nightmare, - constant burning etc.. no blisters or sores. My Urologist told me it was prostatitis. All antibiotics did not work, I was so frustrated last week, I had to go the ER. Doc was nice and he could not do help much 'cos all the test were good except for HSV-1 but he prescribed meds for 'cos he thought it might be nerve damage causing the burning and discomfort tip.(Lyrica and Tramadol) but I have not started on these meds yet because he also prescribed valtrex(acyclovir) for me incase it might be genital HSV-1.. I started on the valtrex though i used this before for a few days without change, but now i am seeing very slow relieve but i can't count on it. I realise when i sit for long the discomfort kicks in at the tip of my penis. Some how sounds like pressure on prostate.. it's confusing..

< edited >, boy there must be a cure somewhere.. This is killing me....

Last edited by hb-mod; 03-23-2010 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Please do not post personal information, such as name, telephone or email address. Thanks!

Old 03-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

since1999 HB User

yeah that does not sound like herpes.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
(female)

art99 HB User

My word! I literally just now registered so I could comment on your post. You see, I had the *exact* same problem, for years. Now before you loose all hope, please note that I said 'had.' I cannot say for sure you have herpes but my problem was definitely caused by herpes. Like you, I had no outbreaks but the rest of it (groin burn that felt like sunburn, skin feeling raw and looking scaly, etc) went on and on. At least I had the 'advantage' of knowing that the cause was herpes because I'd had a bad primary outbreak. After that the sores disappeared but the pain never left. This was a difficult one to get help with because many people, including doctors, don't seem to realise that herpes can cause this. They think it's all just sores and outbreaks. Research papers you can dig up online (boring but the information is good) and herpes bloggers are your best friend on this one. I discovered terms like 'radiculitis' where pain caused in one place is felt some place else.

I had to try out a couple of things but blogs are the ones that pointed me towards folks that have shingles for solutions here. In the end I got rid of my nerve pain (in case that's what you have) by targeting dermatomes, instead of the part of skin where I felt the pain. Again, please read up on what shingles chaps have found works. I had to slather myself with all sorts of stuff. I'm not sure in the end exactly what worked, but something did! Also, there is an old poster (by old I mean from the early days) on this site who also talks about dermatomes. Look up nonexist on this forum. Once again, these could point you in the right direction if, like me, what you have is nerve pain caused by herpes. Good luck! I just wanted to let you know that I've been there (it was months of constant hell) and it's now all gone.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-31-2010 at 08:02 AM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 03-24-2010, 08:28 AM   #6
(male)

tcl08 HB User

Thanks for your response. Since I started the valtrex, there's been some relieve but not much although much better than when i started. Again, I also got releive from the other meds i took earlier on but just that after taking those other meds, after about 4 -5 days, it flares back up again. This is my 5th day on valtrex, I am still watching how it plays out. I have not had any outbreaks what soever. I only had 3 small white skin patches in my inner thigh but those are going away. My understanding and research from HSV is that it does not last for several months. In your case you had an outbreak. Also, my test say HSV1 > 5.0 and from my docs explaination, anything greater than 5.0 is definitely an exposure of some distant past probably in child hood but not under 3weeks or 1 month. One week after i started feeling this, I took a blood test and HSV-1 was > 5.0. This is confusing.. I am still searching for more information on this.. it's confusing..

Old 03-24-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

coping63 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcl08 View Post
Thanks for your response. Since I started the valtrex, there's been some relieve but not much although much better than when i started. Again, I also got releive from the other meds i took earlier on but just that after taking those other meds, after about 4 -5 days, it flares back up again. This is my 5th day on valtrex, I am still watching how it plays out. I have not had any outbreaks what soever. I only had 3 small white skin patches in my inner thigh but those are going away. My understanding and research from HSV is that it does not last for several months. In your case you had an outbreak. Also, my test say HSV1 > 5.0 and from my docs explaination, anything greater than 5.0 is definitely an exposure of some distant past probably in child hood but not under 3weeks or 1 month. One week after i started feeling this, I took a blood test and HSV-1 was > 5.0. This is confusing.. I am still searching for more information on this.. it's confusing..
I understand how confusing it is, Herpes can be in the blood and you may never have an OB, then for some reason, maybe your immune system gets weak due to being sick and that is when the virus decides to show itself, that is why a lot of people have NO clue whats so ever they have it until they have an OB... I am sorry you are feeling bad, it will get better, especially once to get use to the fact you have it, it can be very life changing, trust me you will be OKAY... Take care coping

Old 03-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
(male)

tcl08 HB User

I just went through your notes again you said that you had "groin burn that felt like sunburn, skin feeling raw and looking scaly, etc..." I have never had any of those symptoms. I have burning at the tip inside the urethra tissue not ouside on the the skin. No ther symptoms, no blisters, lesions or what so ever. Also i had burning at the tip after ejaculation which continues for about 2 - 3days before subsiding. I don't think herpes burns after immediately after ejaculation. Did you have any of these symptoms? Funny enough, the valtrex is releiving me from the burning. I know valtrex has some anti-inflammatory compounds .. Well, I am still searching for answers.. Thanks for your help..

Old 03-24-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

since1999 HB User

don't take this the wrong way, but are you out of shape? there was a post that described something about being out of shape, and something regarding the muscles in the penis, and how this could be the reason for the burning.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:42 PM   #10
(male)

tcl08 HB User

you are not alone. I got tested also for HSV and I was HSV-1 positive > 5.0. My uro told me it mut have been a distant exposure. The girl i slept with told me she had chronic yeast infection but i don't believe her since i didn't see the test. I started on valtrex last week and I am seeing some releieve, i guess because valtrex has some anti-inflammatory components.. well please update the thread and lets continue to find solutions and help others..

Old 03-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #11
(male)

tcl08 HB User

No I am not out of shape if you are referring to me. I am fine infact the burning is gone, but i doubting if this is HSv-1 inthe first place but the valtrex seems to be working. I have not had any sores and lesions or anything that will point to that. This is why I am worried and confused. If there were sores or some pointer, then it will give me the advantage of knowing and put me at rest. This has been going on for at least 6 months now.. until last week when i started on the valtrex..

Old 03-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

since1999 HB User

what i was referring to was a post that may explain why you are having the symptoms that you are having. this was not a post that was saying that it was herpes. there may be something physically wrong with you in regards to the muscles in your body.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:21 PM   #13
(male)

tcl08 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by since1999 View Post
what i was referring to was a post that may explain why you are having the symptoms that you are having. this was not a post that was saying that it was herpes. there may be something physically wrong with you in regards to the muscles in your body.
Well, the last doc i saw said it may be nerve damage in my urethra which i don't doubt. This **** started a few days after exposure something Aug 09. I started with cipro, pencillin, doxycyline etc.. it never got better. It' been burning inthe urethra. Also, a week after i had this exposure i got tested at it came out positive > 5 1gG. From explaination from my doc, he said since the result is > 5, it must have ben a past exposure since i tested about 1 -2 week after last episode. Since then it's been burning and itching only in the urethra and not in the groin or anywhere else. 1 week before i saw the doc, i started getting itchy and the burning increased in intensity. My understanding about hsv-1 from explanation is that it does not continue for several months, there's always a break in between but i never expeienced this break. So this leads me to doubt if this is truly hsv-1. As i write this i am getting slight tingling and itchiness in the rectum and slight burning at well but although the infalammation has improved compared to last week.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:08 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

coping63 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcl08 View Post
Well, the last doc i saw said it may be nerve damage in my urethra which i don't doubt. This **** started a few days after exposure something Aug 09. I started with cipro, pencillin, doxycyline etc.. it never got better. It' been burning inthe urethra. Also, a week after i had this exposure i got tested at it came out positive > 5 1gG. From explaination from my doc, he said since the result is > 5, it must have ben a past exposure since i tested about 1 -2 week after last episode. Since then it's been burning and itching only in the urethra and not in the groin or anywhere else. 1 week before i saw the doc, i started getting itchy and the burning increased in intensity. My understanding about hsv-1 from explanation is that it does not continue for several months, there's always a break in between but i never expeienced this break. So this leads me to doubt if this is truly hsv-1. As i write this i am getting slight tingling and itchiness in the rectum and slight burning at well but although the infalammation has improved compared to last week.
Understand Herpes effects the nerve cells that is how it is spreads through the body, it makes its home in the spinal cord, when it becomes active for whatever reason it travels through the nerves and causes the outbreak at the nerve ending and you itch and burn, tingling and numbness, even some pain can occur, HSV1 is less aggressive then 2 and tends to have fewer OB and less servity, maybe it is a combo of both, since you already have nerve damage to that area, it makes you more apt to have continous symptoms, maybe you need to be on valtrex daily, my suggestion or maybe see a nero doctor... I wish you the best feel better soon

Old 03-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #15
(male)

tcl08 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coping63 View Post
Understand Herpes effects the nerve cells that is how it is spreads through the body, it makes its home in the spinal cord, when it becomes active for whatever reason it travels through the nerves and causes the outbreak at the nerve ending and you itch and burn, tingling and numbness, even some pain can occur, HSV1 is less aggressive then 2 and tends to have fewer OB and less servity, maybe it is a combo of both, since you already have nerve damage to that area, it makes you more apt to have continous symptoms, maybe you need to be on valtrex daily, my suggestion or maybe see a nero doctor... I wish you the best feel better soon
Thanks for your comments, I don't believe i have HSV 2 as my results were negative for that type. I have tested 4 times already since Aug of 09 and the results for HSV-2 are always neg. Even with the valtrex and I am having some of the previous same symptoms coming back, so i am beginning to doubt if this actaully HSV-1.

Closed Thread