It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
(male)

Houstonguy17 HB User
HSV-2 Positive Test

I recently started dating a new person and at her request went in for an STD test at my doctor's. Much to my surprise, the nurse told me yesterday over the phone that I tested positive for HSV-2. At the time, I didn't know what to ask and was in complete shock so i don't know what type of blood test was used. I also didn't ask what the values of the test were. She didn't mention being positive for HSV-1 (I think she said I was negative) but I know I've had cold sores on my mouth just not in many years. Could that mean anything? I have an appt Monday to discuss the results with the doctor and plan to request the actual values reported by the lab and the blood test type. Maybe even request a re-test from them.

I was retested today at another place (planned parenthood) today that does Igg testing but i don't get the results until the 30th.

What are the chances that my family doctor used the IGm test in this day and age? Its a large family group doctor's office with many docs, lots of patients, etc. Does that make any difference? What do i need to do next if I am positive? Contact anyone I've had sex with in recent years and tell them?

I'm completely freaked out, depressed, and feel alone, stupid, ashamed and unclean. The person I'm dating has been unbelievably supportive but I can't imagine her staying with me for long and I have no idea how we're supposed to have anything close to a "normal" sex life since condoms aren't completely effective.

Any advice from someone that's been here would be appreciated. thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
Re: HSV-2 Positive Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonguy17 View Post
I recently started dating a new person and at her request went in for an STD test at my doctor's. Much to my surprise, the nurse told me yesterday over the phone that I tested positive for HSV-2. At the time, I didn't know what to ask and was in complete shock so i don't know what type of blood test was used. I also didn't ask what the values of the test were. She didn't mention being positive for HSV-1 (I think she said I was negative) but I know I've had cold sores on my mouth just not in many years. Could that mean anything? It could be possible you have HSV2 orally, especially if you have given oral sex beforeI have an appt Monday to discuss the results with the doctor and plan to request the actual values reported by the lab and the blood test type. Maybe even request a re-test from them.

I was retested today at another place (planned parenthood) today that does Igg testing but i don't get the results until the 30th.

What are the chances that my family doctor used the IGm test in this day and age? This is likely for some reason a lot of doctors still give this test out... It was smart of you getting the IgG and make sure its the type specific and get numeric values.. normally if you have had it for a while it will be >5 Its a large family group doctor's office with many docs, lots of patients, etc. Does that make any difference? Nah I don't think that makes a difference, just depends on how knowledgeable the doctors are with the new testing that is available What do i need to do next if I am positive? I would definitely let your current partner know, in the meantime you can always read up on it, you can search "the herpes handbook" this will give you a lot of great information, I will also post the transmission rates below, another thing you can do if you are positive is maybe think about suppressive therapy since you are in a relationship Contact anyone I've had sex with in recent years and tell them? I would not do that, only because its hard to say who and when you had gotten this, but if you feel comfortable doing so you can.

I'm completely freaked out, depressed, and feel alone, stupid, ashamed and unclean. The person I'm dating has been unbelievably supportive but I can't imagine her staying with me for long and I have no idea how we're supposed to have anything close to a "normal" sex life since condoms aren't completely effective.That is great that she is there for you, consider yourself lucky A lot of people are understanding of this virus, it just has an aweful stigma and it really is just a pesky skin condition. The feelings that you are feeling are normal we have all be there before. The other thing that is hard is that fact that you mentioned you did have coldsores and HSV2 can be oral. Just try to relax and see what the test results say when the come back. Please keep us posted

Any advice from someone that's been here would be appreciated. thanks.
Here are the Male to Female Transmission Rates , please remember this is based on it being genital.

If you have 100 couples where the male has HSV 2 but not the female (these figures are over a year) the odds of male to female transmission are if you do nothing (other than avoid sex when there is an outbreak) 8-10 females out of a 100 will get herpes in a year or 8-10% (90 -92 % chance of not getting it) If you do go on a suppressive therapy then it drops to 4-5 females out of a 100 in a year or 4-5% (95-96% chance of not getting it) and if you use suppressive therapy and a condom the chances are 2-3 females out of a 100 will get herpes in one year or 2-3% (97-98% chance of not getting it).

The valtrex and transmission study stats are based on having sex 2 times/week.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
(male)

Houstonguy17 HB User

Thanks angeleyes. I haven't had a cold sore in probably 15 yrs - maybe more.

A question for others though - shouldn't I contact my most recent partners? I would think that's recommended just to help with them getting/transmitting it. Its not something I look forward to but isn't it the right thing to do?

thanks again.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonguy17 View Post
Thanks angeleyes. I haven't had a cold sore in probably 15 yrs - maybe more.

A question for others though - shouldn't I contact my most recent partners? I would think that's recommended just to help with them getting/transmitting it. Its not something I look forward to but isn't it the right thing to do?

thanks again.
I can see telling your most recent but I thought you were going to go back years and years... it can be tricky also because even if you have it, it doesn't mean it will be passed on to everyone you sleep with Use your best judgment

Old 11-21-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
(female)

alwaysonthago HB User

IF I had slept with you, I would want to know. Most guys are complete scumbags who would spred anything to anyone these days. I am a COMPLETE paranoid!!! ( AND FOR GOOD REASON)

Closed Thread