1) Is there special treatment for HSV-1? If I used the HSV-2 treatment would it be less effective? No,but hsv 1 is less aggressive as far as outbreaks and transmission I don't know if they have done studies on suppressive therapy for it
2) What is the chance of transmitting genital HSV-1 to someone without oral HSV-1? Unfortunately we do not have the transmission rates but it would be less then that of HSV2 transmission I will post those rates below.
3)What is the chance of transmitting genital HSV-1 to someone who already has it, but only orally? Very very slim they already have the antibodies in their system.
4)What is the test to determine whether someone has HSV1-? If it's positive how do you know if it's oral or genital? the best test for herpes is IgG herpes type specific this will let you know whether you have hsv1 or hsv2 ... unfortunately it is not able to let you know where it is, although type 1 is typically oral as you know that is not always the case.
5) Can HSV-1 be identical to HSV-2 in that it establishes latency at the base of the spine? Yes if you have it genitally that is where it will go
6) Does shedding with no symptoms decrease with time? They say it does, i'm just not sure where I had read that information, because over time OBs tend to decrease as well
7) Is it possible that I will never shed the virus at all? If so, what percentage of people never shed, and how would I find out? I am going to say that you will shed but you will not know all the time.
8) Is it possible that there will EVER be a cure for HSV-1? We are hopeful there is a cure for HSV 1 and 2 but ... its so common I don't know.. it doesn't cause any problems...so i guess why make a cure