It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
(female)

xymoxgirl HB User
Unanswered questions about genital hsv-1

Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with genital hsv-1. I got it by receiving oral sex (only one time and for a short moment) from someone who has not had a cold sore in years. Ever since then I have been doing as much research as possible on the condition, but still have several unanswered questions:

1) Is there special treatment for HSV-1? If I used the HSV-2 treatment would it be less effective?

2) What is the chance of transmitting genital HSV-1 to someone without oral HSV-1?

3)What is the chance of transmitting genital HSV-1 to someone who already has it, but only orally?

4)What is the test to determine whether someone has HSV1-? If it's positive how do you know if it's oral or genital?

5) Can HSV-1 be identical to HSV-2 in that it establishes latency at the base of the spine?

6) Does shedding with no symptoms decrease with time?

7) Is it possible that I will never shed the virus at all? If so, what percentage of people never shed, and how would I find out?

8) Is it possible that there will EVER be a cure for HSV-1?

If anyone knows the answer to any of these questions it would be greatly appreciated!!

The following user gives a hug of support to xymoxgirl:
eisbrecher (01-20-2012)
Old 03-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
Re: Unanswered questions about genital hsv-1

1) Is there special treatment for HSV-1? If I used the HSV-2 treatment would it be less effective? No,but hsv 1 is less aggressive as far as outbreaks and transmission I don't know if they have done studies on suppressive therapy for it

2) What is the chance of transmitting genital HSV-1 to someone without oral HSV-1? Unfortunately we do not have the transmission rates but it would be less then that of HSV2 transmission I will post those rates below.

3)What is the chance of transmitting genital HSV-1 to someone who already has it, but only orally? Very very slim they already have the antibodies in their system.

4)What is the test to determine whether someone has HSV1-? If it's positive how do you know if it's oral or genital? the best test for herpes is IgG herpes type specific this will let you know whether you have hsv1 or hsv2 ... unfortunately it is not able to let you know where it is, although type 1 is typically oral as you know that is not always the case.

5) Can HSV-1 be identical to HSV-2 in that it establishes latency at the base of the spine? Yes if you have it genitally that is where it will go

6) Does shedding with no symptoms decrease with time? They say it does, i'm just not sure where I had read that information, because over time OBs tend to decrease as well

7) Is it possible that I will never shed the virus at all? If so, what percentage of people never shed, and how would I find out? I am going to say that you will shed but you will not know all the time.

8) Is it possible that there will EVER be a cure for HSV-1? We are hopeful there is a cure for HSV 1 and 2 but ... its so common I don't know.. it doesn't cause any problems...so i guess why make a cure

Last edited by Administrator; 04-17-2010 at 08:51 AM. Reason: copied and pasted

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
(female)

xymoxgirl HB User
Re: Unanswered questions about genital hsv-1

Thank you so much for replying.

Closed Thread