It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
(male)

willx HB User
What are my chances of catching Herpes???

Hello, I have a question that maybe some can help me with.

I have been dating this girl for the past 4 months and last week. I do not remember but either last Monday or Tuesday night we had unprotected sex. Afterward we typically would retreat to separate restrooms to clean up. I washed my self with antibacterial soap and water, as I typically do.

Wednesday she noticed what appeared to be a herpes outbreak. She had never had one before. She went to the doctor and it was confirmed with a swap test that she indeed had genital herpes. Not sure which type at this point although she has hsv-1 oral already so I assume possibly hsv-1 genital now but not sure.

Anyway, I went to a clinic Tuesday for a blood test to see if I already had it or what. My test came back today and was negative. I realize I have to go back in a few months to retest but my question is.

What are the chance I got herpes from her on our last sexual encounter as I definitely did not have herpes before hand.

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

since1999 HB User
Re: What are my chances of catching Herpes???

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Hello, I have a question that maybe some can help me with.

I have been dating this girl for the past 4 months and last week. I do not remember but either last Monday or Tuesday night we had unprotected sex. Afterward we typically would retreat to separate restrooms to clean up. I washed my self with antibacterial soap and water, as I typically do.

Wednesday she noticed what appeared to be a herpes outbreak. She had never had one before. She went to the doctor and it was confirmed with a swap test that she indeed had genital herpes. Not sure which type at this point although she has hsv-1 oral already so I assume possibly hsv-1 genital now but not sure. more than likely she will have hsv 2 genitally, if she gets hsv 1 orally.
Anyway, I went to a clinic Tuesday for a blood test to see if I already had it or what. My test came back today and was negative. I realize I have to go back in a few months to retest but my question is.

What are the chance I got herpes from her on our last sexual encounter as I definitely did not have herpes before hand. how do you know what you did not have herpes before hand? you may have had it and never have known.
Thanks!

Last edited by since1999; 04-01-2010 at 08:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
(male)

willx HB User

I got the results from a blood test I took Tuesday. All negative. So in order for me to get herpes it would have been very recent as I do not have antibodies built up in my blood stream at this point. I will have to be retested in a few months to check for antibodies.

I am mostly curious what would be my chances of getting it from her if we had sex a day or two prior to her first outbreak.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

since1999 HB User

there are no stats on that..... your guess is as good as anyone else's guess.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
(male)

willx HB User

I plan to retest but three months to wait adds a bit of stress on me.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-17-2010 at 02:06 PM.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

since1999 HB User

it is very difficult to pin point the individual who brought the herpes virus into the relationship when both parties have never known to have an outbreak, and are unaware of the virus in their body. there is always a chance that a person themselves has contracted the virus ever before entering the relationship, and they are just unaware of the fact that they have herpes. i was lucky, i say that lightly, because i had an outbreak right away, so i knew i had it.

it is highly probable that your chick will have hsv 2 genitally if she has hsv 1 orally, since normally the virus will stay where it first attached itself in the body. but there is always a chance that it could be the opposite... but proabably not.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:55 AM   #7
(male)

willx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by since1999 View Post
it is very difficult to pin point the individual who brought the herpes virus into the relationship when both parties have never known to have an outbreak, and are unaware of the virus in their body.
Very true, that is why I was tested because I wanted to know if I could have possibly already had it and gave it to her or if she already had it when we met. There is that possibility that she may have been with someone else during out relationship. That is something I will never know.

Thanks for all the information. I will wait and retest in a few months to see if I am carrying the antibodies. Hopefully not...

Thanks again!

Old 04-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
(female)

canyouhelpme HB User

Can you help me understand, please. If she has hsv 1, you think she will have hsv 2?? I am not comprehending this. Please help me.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-17-2010 at 10:41 PM.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

since1999 HB User

sure. if a person has hsv1 most likely they will not catch the hsv 1 strand of the virus anywhere else on their body since they have the antibodies built up in their system(unless it is the 1st six months). so most people will catch the opposite of what they already have, on a new spot on their body. so a guy with hsv 1 orally will most likely not get hsv1 genitally.... i hope that made sense. please correct me if i am wrong anybody...

Old 04-06-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
(female)

canyouhelpme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by since1999 View Post
sure. if a person has hsv1 most likely they will not catch the hsv 1 strand of the virus anywhere else on their body since they have the antibodies built up in their system(unless it is the 1st six months). so most people will catch the opposite of what they already have, on a new spot on their body. so a guy with hsv 1 orally will most likely not get hsv1 genitally.... i hope that made sense. please correct me if i am wrong anybody...
Thanks! I understand but still a little confused at your previous post... probably she has HSV 2 genitally if she has HSV 1 orally?? To help explain myself.....If I have HSV 1 orally, my partner may have HSV 2 genitally?? Sorry I am so confused at this statement.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyouhelpme View Post
Thanks! I understand but still a little confused at your previous post... probably she has HSV 2 genitally if she has HSV 1 orally?? To help explain myself.....If I have HSV 1 orally, my partner may have HSV 2 genitally?? Sorry I am so confused at this statement.
Hi, If you have hsv 1 orally the likely hood of you getting hsv1 genitally more then likely will not happen, if you were to have outbreaks below you more then likely would have hsv2. Thats what since1999 was saying

If you have oral hsv1 you can pass that onto your partners genitals if you preform oral and it would be hsv1 (but this instance is different from what since1999 was talking about)

Hope that helped

Last edited by angeleyz81; 04-06-2010 at 05:21 PM.

Closed Thread