It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
(female)

girllost HB User
Unhappy Diagnosed, what should I do?

Ok so i've been going to the same OBGYN for the past 4yrs & went in for my annual last week. My doctor told me that I tested positive for herpes HSV-2. Now 1st let me explain that i was tested when I got out of a 1 year relationship & was clean (including herpes) in october 09' and when i started a new relationship in Jan. 10' I was also tested because I had to go in for a yeast infection and I figured i may as well be tested and was again clean across the board. I went in for my annual this month. My Dr. tested me for yeast and bacterial infections while i was in the room with a swab and they both were negitive. So u can understand that I was shocked when i got the call 4days later saying i had to come in because i had an abnormal pap & HSV-2! I asked my docter why this never came up as much as i frequent her office and she went on to explain that she had on tested the "outside" 4 STDs and not the "inside".I have never had an outbreak of any kind or felt any pain down there. I have to go in for my abnormal pap and get a colposcopy biopsy procedure done and I plan to ask to be tested across the board again. Still apart of me feels that she wont just because she's alredy diagnosed me. Could I be misdiagnosed? What questions should i ask my OBGYN when i go back in about my HSV-2 diagnoses. Lastly idk if this is significant or not, but my grandmother and both aunts have also been diagnosed years ago and have not had outbreaks themselves. PLEASE I NEED ADVISE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
(female)

BelieveYouMe HB User
Re: Diagnosed, what should I do?

I too was recently diagnosed. I was devestated to say the least. But I pretty much know where I got it. I started showing the classic symptoms about a week or so after I was first with the individual that infected me. I remember I got the flu like symptoms about the same time I got my first OB. I usually get 1 sore (I've had 2 at the same time as well) about once a month. I've got the tingling and irritability "down there." I also get the shooting, tingling sensations down my legs and buttocks. The last couple of days my lower backs been hurting too. My first initial OB was not bad at all like most say they experience. I only had one sore as I usually do. I contracted herpes in Nov 09' and was diagnosed with it on April 5th of this year. I have my good days and bad. Today was a bad day. Every day I feel like I'm going to get an OB but I don't. I'm writing down when I do to keep up with it. I am on Valtrex but only take it when I feel like an OB is about to occur. This disease affects everyone differently. Some never have OBs and some have them all of the time. I hope mine substain to just once a month and get less and less over time. I'm praying for a miracle that a cure is found! It takes 3-4 months to get into your system. So that's why it may not of shown up before. I so wish I would of gotten tested back in the fall when I started having symptoms then I for sure would of known where it came from (even though I'm pretty sure I know). Cuz if I would of tested negative, I would of known for sure if I had went back months later and tested positive. If your doctor won't retest you, you may want go somewhere else. I literally had to beg my doctor to do a blood test. He wanted me to come back when I had an OB, but I was pretty sure I had it from what I had read on the internet and the signs/symptoms I was displaying. I hope I was of some help. I'm new to the game, but it's already getting so old! The guy that most likely infected me finally talked to me today. He's agreed to get tested. I know that doesn't really mean anything. He could still say he got it from me, but it's too much of a coincidence that I started showing signs/symptoms right after being with him for the first time! Btw, I'm also fighting a bad UTI. I think there's some connection between that and herpes. Oh! And herpes can lay dormant for a long, long time. I've been reading stories about it. One lady found out 30years later that she had it. She had never had an OB and then bam! All of a sudden, there it was! This disease is so mysterious and evil all at the same time! Well, I hope I've been some help! Good luck!

Old 04-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

since1999 HB User

well, it is possible that the swabs came back negative because everytime you were swabbed you were never having an outbreak, so there was nothing to test. i think what you need to do is get an IgG blood test, and have yourself diagnosed that way. herpes does take up to 4 months to show up in blood, after exposure to the virus. who knows, this may be a recent contraction or maybe you got it a long time ago...

Old 04-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
(female)

girllost HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveYouMe View Post
I too was recently diagnosed. I was devestated to say the least. But I pretty much know where I got it. I started showing the classic symptoms about a week or so after I was first with the individual that infected me. I remember I got the flu like symptoms about the same time I got my first OB. I usually get 1 sore (I've had 2 at the same time as well) about once a month. I've got the tingling and irritability "down there." I also get the shooting, tingling sensations down my legs and buttocks. The last couple of days my lower backs been hurting too. My first initial OB was not bad at all like most say they experience. I only had one sore as I usually do. I contracted herpes in Nov 09' and was diagnosed with it on April 5th of this year. I have my good days and bad. Today was a bad day. Every day I feel like I'm going to get an OB but I don't. I also feel like im waitn on an OB to come but it hasnt yet.I'm writing down when I do to keep up with it. I am on Valtrex but only take it when I feel like an OB is about to occur. Do you think it would be a good idea to take the Valtrax even tho i show no signs on an OB?This disease affects everyone differently. Some never have OBs and some have them all of the time. I hope mine substain to just once a month and get less and less over time. I'm praying for a miracle that a cure is found! It takes 3-4 months to get into your system. So that's why it may not of shown up before. I so wish I would of gotten tested back in the fall when I started having symptoms then I for sure would of known where it came from (even though I'm pretty sure I know). Cuz if I would of tested negative, I would of known for sure if I had went back months later and tested positive. If your doctor won't retest you, you may want go somewhere else. I literally had to beg my doctor to do a blood test. He wanted me to come back when I had an OB, but I was pretty sure I had it from what I had read on the internet and the signs/symptoms I was displaying. I hope I was of some help. I'm new to the game, but it's already getting so old! The guy that most likely infected me finally talked to me today. He's agreed to get tested. I know that doesn't really mean anything. He could still say he got it from me, I feel like that may be the case with me and my bf/(now ex-bf) i am sure he's where i got it from because i was tested before we were 2gther, but theres always the chance he may say i gave it to him. but it's too much of a coincidence that I started showing signs/symptoms right after being with him for the first time! Btw, I'm also fighting a bad UTI. I think there's some connection between that and herpes. Oh! And herpes can lay dormant for a long, long time. I've been reading stories about it. One lady found out 30years later that she had it. She had never had an OB and then bam! All of a sudden, there it was! This disease is so mysterious and evil all at the same time! Well, I hope I've been some help! Good luck!

Old 04-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
(female)

girllost HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by since1999 View Post
well, it is possible that the swabs came back negative because everytime you were swabbed you were never having an outbreak, so there was nothing to test. Well if thats the case, if i never have an outbreak how can i be diagnosed for it by my Doctor? i think what you need to do is get an IgG blood test, Never heard of it b4, can u elaborate 4 me? this is all so scary and new to me. and have yourself diagnosed that way. herpes does take up to 4 months to show up in blood, after exposure to the virus. who knows, this may be a recent contraction or maybe you got it a long time ago...

Old 04-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
(female)

girllost HB User

Thank you! your insight was very helpful. All of this is alot to take in and i still feel a sense of confusion and shame. This site makes me feel like im not alone though. My main fear is that I wont be able to have another relationship because of my STI. I cant see myself telling ne1 and them being okay with it unless they have it themselves. All of this is so overwhelming

Closed Thread