It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
(male)

jack2pot HB User
When is the best time for a herpes blood test

So, I've heard that the herpes virus doesn't show in the blood for some time, so what is the optimal time to test the blood for the herpes virus.

Also, are herpes pimples painful?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
(female)

BeenThroughIt HB User
Re: When is the best time for a herpes blood test

It definitely depends on experience. From my experience the pimples were only painful when I urinated. About the blood tests people say it takes up to four months to show up so optimal time is to have the blood test (make sure to request the IgG test) four months after exposure. Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
(male)

jack2pot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThroughIt View Post
It definitely depends on experience. From my experience the pimples were only painful when I urinated. About the blood tests people say it takes up to four months to show up so optimal time is to have the blood test (make sure to request the IgG test) four months after exposure. Hope this helps!

Thank you for your help I sure hope I don't have herpes,but if I do it's nice to know there are people like you beenthroughit to talk to. I sure hope they find a cure for this virus and all other viruses out there. And I wish you the best.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Truthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB User

If you currently have herpes symptoms - sores, rash, pimples, paper cut type things or discharge, then I always recommend that you go to the doctor and ask for the blood test and a swab culture be done AT THE SAME TIME. That way it gives you a baseline. If the swab is positive but the blood test is negative it GENERALLY indicates that this is a new infection. If you just have the swab and wait 12-16 weeks for a blood test you will never know if you were already positive at the time of the swab. For those who need the "when did I get this", it narrows down the time line.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:18 PM   #5
(female)

BeenThroughIt HB User

Yeah I definitely agree. I was tested with a swab test that was positive and had my blood test come back negative. Make sure to get into the doctor soon if you have new sores because they can't be swabbed once they begin to heal. Jack2pot for your sake I also hope you don't have this! Make sure to stay informed and safe !

Old 06-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
(male)

justme67 HB User

I've had both a swab and blood test done during an outbreak 3 times and all times the tests were NEGATIVE. my doctor even said because i had only 1 sore that it wasn't herpes. but i knew better .. i've had this disease for 1o years and i treat myself as if i have it regardless of what some quack says.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme67 View Post
I've had both a swab and blood test done during an outbreak 3 times and all times the tests were NEGATIVE. my doctor even said because i had only 1 sore that it wasn't herpes. but i knew better .. i've had this disease for 1o years and i treat myself as if i have it regardless of what some quack says.
have you been retested in that 10 year period with an IgG type specific blood test? If you have really had herpes for 10 years it most certainly would be positive by now!

Old 06-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #8
(female)

hurting2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseek View Post
have you been retested in that 10 year period with an IgG type specific blood test? If you have really had herpes for 10 years it most certainly would be positive by now!
I'm wondering the same thing too. I think I've had OB's for a long time but I just ignored them to be something else. Like the bumps that feel likes a cut and years ago I used to get what was like a rash on my lips. I used blistex and it went away. But i never got it again. Now it's just down below that I've been concerned about. I had once started to eat healthier, do a regular detox, and take vitamins. Don't know if those things were suppressing it all this time or what. But like I read on the old threads, i'm working to make it come out of hiding and 'detox' it out of my system.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #9
(male)

justme67 HB User

Last edited by justme67; 06-12-2010 at 08:47 PM.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #10
(male)

justme67 HB User

Quote:
My last blood testing was done 2 years ago. Each time i was tested it was during an outbreak. My doctor was hesitant each time to test me because he said that genital herpes came in clusters or groups of bumps/lesions and i only get 1 sore during an outbreak.

I had to explain to him "the doctor" how genital herpes operates because he didn't know what my sore was and said the tests proved that it wasn't herpes. blah blah... but I KNOW that i have genital herpes and know exactly when ,how and who it was that infected me.

Also this doctor said that even if the tests came back positive that meant nothing because EVERYONE has some strain of herpes

Old 06-13-2010, 05:54 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme67 View Post
Also this doctor said that even if the tests came back positive that meant nothing because EVERYONE has some strain of herpes
Time for another doctor or order the test yourself

Last edited by Truthseek; 06-13-2010 at 06:22 AM.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

Also, if your swab comes back negative are you being tested with that within the first 24-48hrs? Like truth mentioned time for another test and another doctor. Remember to ask specifically for the IgG herpes type specific blood test. If it does come back negative... maybe you truly do not have herpes and it could be something else. Just because you are with someone that had it doesn't mean you will definitely get it

Old 06-13-2010, 11:44 AM   #13
(male)

justme67 HB User

Hi all.

My tests were all done during an outbreak where the sore was clearly visible. Each time the doctor didn't have a clue as to what my sore was. He told me that he had never seen an outbreak where there was only 1 sore and i had to tell him that perhaps he needed to go take a STD refresher course because it is possible to have an outbreak where there is only 1 sore.

He then called me a hypochondriac and that's when i switched doctors. my current doctor also told me that my tests were negative.

But i have all the symptoms and have had them for the past 10 years.... tingling sensation right before an outbreak and i can't eat anything high in arginine. oh how i misss my daily heaping tablespoons of crunchy peanut butter

I am totally baffled as to what this could be if not herpes

Old 06-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #14
(female)

hurting2 HB User

Quote:
Time for another doctor or order the test yourself
I agree Truthseek. This is getting totally ridiculous!

Old 06-14-2010, 06:47 PM   #15
(male)

neeno37 HB User

Herpes select test says 60-75 % show antibodies at 6 weeks.
A doctor who lectures on herpes and wrote this book wrote:

Terri Warren's helpful book about Herpes "The Good News About the Bad News

At 4 weeks, 50% of people will test positive
At 6 weeks, 70% of people will test positive
At 16 weeks, almost everyone who is infected will test positive
So I will be tested at 8 weeks and feel confident but 16 to be sure.

Closed Thread