It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
(female)

SEPREH HB User
Herpes lab results...help explain PLEASE

the ER Doctor at the hospital said only that these results are positive for HSV2.....I later saw my family Doctor and he added that based on the extremely low titer, the 2 large broken blisters and the 4 day fever of 100-104 degrees farenheit that this was a new infection probably between 2 and 21 days old and this was the original outbreak. I thought I would look for people online in herpes forums who could verify this. Here are the lab results.

I am especially concerned if any date/timeline of infection can be established from these test results? I understand that the titer (1:20) confirms that this is a recent infection....thanks for any and all comments.

1) HSV IgM Antibodies.................DETECTED *f
2) HSV IgM Titer.........................1:20 Hf
3) Herpes Simplex Type 1 IgG........<0.90
4) Herpes Simplex Type 2 IgG........<0.90 f

--INDEX----INTERPRETATION--
<0.90---------Negative
0.90-1.10-----Equivocal
1.10----------Positive

Old 06-23-2010, 04:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Truthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB User
Re: Herpes lab results...help explain PLEASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEPREH View Post
1) HSV IgM Antibodies.................DETECTED *f
2) HSV IgM Titer.........................1:20 Hf
3) Herpes Simplex Type 1 IgG........<0.90
4) Herpes Simplex Type 2 IgG........<0.90 f

--INDEX----INTERPRETATION--
<0.90---------Negative
0.90-1.10-----Equivocal
1.10----------Positive
The IgM test is not recommended/useful for herpes testing in this day and age. If you ever had chicken pox, often the IgM will show a positive for herpes. The medical thinking long ago was that IgM antibodies showed up first, then the IgG. The IgG is the test you want to watch. At the moment, it is negative.
Based on your symptoms did they do a swab culture of the sores? Usually they do a swab and a blood test at the same time. If the swab is positive but the blood test is negative, it usually indicates that this is a new infection as it can take anywhere from 2 - 16 weeks for your body to produce enough antibodies to be detected in the blood.
With the symptoms you experienced it could very well be an initial outbreak. For the timeline, really only you can tell based on your sexual partners/history.
I would retest with the IgG blood test for HSV1 and HSV2 at about 3-4 months from your last sexual encounter (no new sex in between). By then, if you are truly positive for herpes, the blood test should detect it. Also if you experience new sores/blisters - get thee to your doctor ASAP and get them cultured and 'typed' for 1 and 2.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
(female)

hurting2 HB User

I agree with Truthseek. Mine was >5 for the Igg and the Igm was detected too. The results showed it was HSV2. So mine was considered an old infection since I didn't have nothing for them to swab. The bumps/blisters appeared about 2 days later.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
(female)

BelieveYouMe HB User

But what's considered as a "recent" infection? 2 weeks, 2 months, 4 months? A year would be considered an old infection I guess. Just wondering. And I thought it was said to not pay attention to the #'s given in your blood test. That they don't mean a thing.

Last edited by BelieveYouMe; 06-24-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
(female)

hurting2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveYouMe View Post
But what's considered as a "recent" infection? 2 weeks, 2 months, 4 months? A year would be considered an old infection I guess. Just wondering. And I thought it was said to not pay attention to the #'s given in your blood test. That they don't mean a thing.
I'm guessing recent is anything less than the 4mos which puts you around the time they say you should wait to be retested if you come up negative on the blood but positive on the culture.

Oh, I haven't heard anything about ignoring the #s but I did hear that one university says, that blood is not a 'good' specimen to diagnose herpes!

Closed Thread