It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
(male)

curious99 HB User
how valid are my NEGATIVE herpes blood test results?

i was in a long relationship and had sex with a female outside of it once. after just a week the new girl told me that her recent ex tested positive for genital herpes and i was 'exposed'. she had a culture taken and also received a positive for genital herpes. she had barely one sore, no symptoms and NO outbreaks to warn her.
of course, i freaked out. because just before knowing, i slept with my 'clean', longtime partner.
i got tested 3 weeks after being 'exposed'. the doctor took no culture because i had no visible sores. i only had two stress marks on the roof of my mouth near a problematic tooth, and the doctor inspected them visually. my iG blood test results were negative.
hsv-1: 0.19
hsv-2: 0.07

in the 2 weeks waiting for the results i had a number of unusual things happen with my body. unusual skin reactions. random singular bumps. tingling of body parts. about 6, about 1/4 inch long vertical straight line cuts on the tips of my left middle and ring finger. unnoticeable and absolutely painless. an irritated throat. stomach discomfort. my head (meaning my brain, don't laugh) also felt very weird and sometimes tingly for an extended time. shortness of breath.

i was certain i was infected and my body was reacting to it. so receiving a NEGATIVE result almost seemed wrong. all of this took place within the last month and a half. my 'presumably clean' longterm partner is still awaiting results. she has paranoia but no outbreaks. we both have incredible immune systems and our bodies react incredibly to most anything. a lab would LOVE to have me, i'm serious. --but the negative concerns me. i wonder if this is mostly paranoia, but my concern is that i may have become a carrier, since i haven't had an outbreak. i DO NOT want to infect ANYONE if i have this. my tests say no but i don't feel as sure.

DOES ANYONE KNOW:
1. what is the accuracy percentage for the initial blood test?
2. was the time ideal for me to be tested at all?-- i've heard that within a few weeks is too soon.
3. is it possible to test negative and still carry the virus and infect other people?
5. do the above ig blood tests include the meningitis aspect of herpes?
4. i read a small mention online regarding the paper like cuts... is that legitimate, a rumor, or unrelated?
6. is outbreak and a culture the only 100% way to be certain that you have herpes or are iGm/iGgs blood tests enough?
11. how long does it take for antibodies to be produced and show up?
12. do the antibodies show up ONLY after an outbreak? --

i am just trying to understand what's going on. thank you, anyone/everyone.

Last edited by curious99; 07-10-2010 at 05:29 AM. Reason: post possibly too long... not getting responses

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
Re: how valid are my NEGATIVE herpes blood test results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious99 View Post
i was in a long relationship and had sex with a female outside of it once. after just a week the new girl told me that her recent ex tested positive for genital herpes and i was 'exposed'. she had a culture taken and also received a positive for genital herpes. she had barely one sore, no symptoms and NO outbreaks to warn her.
of course, i freaked out. because just before knowing, i slept with my 'clean', longtime partner.
i got tested 3 weeks after being 'exposed'. the doctor took no culture because i had no visible sores. i only had two stress marks on the roof of my mouth near a problematic tooth, and the doctor inspected them visually. my iG blood test results were negative.
hsv-1: 0.19
hsv-2: 0.07

in the 2 weeks waiting for the results i had a number of unusual things happen with my body. unusual skin reactions. random singular bumps. tingling of body parts. about 6, about 1/4 inch long vertical straight line cuts on the tips of my left middle and ring finger. unnoticeable and absolutely painless. an irritated throat. stomach discomfort. my head (meaning my brain, don't laugh) also felt very weird and sometimes tingly for an extended time. shortness of breath.

i was certain i was infected and my body was reacting to it. so receiving a NEGATIVE result almost seemed wrong. all of this took place within the last month and a half. my 'presumably clean' longterm partner is still awaiting results. she has paranoia but no outbreaks. we both have incredible immune systems and our bodies react incredibly to most anything. a lab would LOVE to have me, i'm serious. --but the negative concerns me. i wonder if this is mostly paranoia, but my concern is that i may have become a carrier, since i haven't had an outbreak. i DO NOT want to infect ANYONE if i have this. my tests say no but i don't feel as sure.

DOES ANYONE KNOW:
1. what is the accuracy percentage for the initial blood test? It depends.. in your case you tested too soon so there is a chance you would get a false negative. It can take up to 4 months for the antibodies to be picked up in a blood test. If you do have an active lesion its best to have it cultured within the first 24-48hrs for a more accurate result.
2. was the time ideal for me to be tested at all?-- i've heard that within a few weeks is too soon. Yup too soon...wait at least 4 months
3. is it possible to test negative and still carry the virus and infect other people? Yes only if you tested too soon and you are in fact positive, if you wait and get retested down the road and get a negative result then you are fine and wont pass anything along as you have nothing to pass
5. do the above ig blood tests include the meningitis aspect of herpes? Sorry I dont know ... I think its only for HSV 1 & 2
4. i read a small mention online regarding the paper like cuts... is that legitimate, a rumor, or unrelated? Its true although i hear about this mostly from females.. that is how one of my outbreaks was
6. is outbreak and a culture the only 100% way to be certain that you have herpes or are iGm/iGgs blood tests enough? Culture when shows positive is a definite that you are positive..the IgG are highly accurate also.. the IgM no one should ever use this or pay to get that done as it is worthless
11. how long does it take for antibodies to be produced and show up? Up to 4 months in the blood
12. do the antibodies show up ONLY after an outbreak? -- Nope...many people never had an outbreak and found out they had herpes from the blood test

To ease your mind just a little..if you slept with this girl 1 time...and if you used a condom your chances of getting it is about a 2% chance out of a year and if you didn't use a condom its about a 4% chance out of a year... its harder for a man to catch it from a woman then the other way around..but no one is immune to catching it.. ya know

i am just trying to understand what's going on. thank you, anyone/everyone.

Closed Thread