It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2001, 12:11 PM   #1

Charlie C HB User
Herpes on finger

I have had genital herpes for just over 4 years now and i've had quite frequent recurrences ever since.
About a year ago, I somehow had an outbreak on my finger, which I was completely horrified by, but I hoped it would never come back. But now it has and what's worse is that there are more blisters this time. I feel so ashamed I've had to put plasters all over my finger and I've told everyone that I cut it on a knife. But if it keeps recurring there people are going to notice that I keep 'cutting' myself in the same place and they will know something is up.
I don't know why this has happened, I didn't think it was even possible to get it on your finger.
Now I feel really upset as I know herpes can be spread even if there are no visible blisters and I might tramsit it from my finger to my eyes, mouth or elsewhere.
Has anyone else ever had it on their finger? Please could someone give me some advice?

Old 08-13-2001, 03:30 PM   #2

PhoebeM HB User
Re: Herpes on finger

Charlie..Yes, I had HSV2 on a finger, and it is called a Herpetic Whitlow. Often health care professionals or wrestlers contract these when they get the herpes virus. You can type in Herpetic Whitlow on the internet and do a search and you will find more about it...it is not uncommon. Also, in that great book that I keep talking about (The Truth About Herpes by Dr. Stephen Sacks--available from amazon.com) he talks about the virus on the finger. If if makes you feel any better he also says that though doctors often TALK about ocular herpes, he has yet to see more than one or two cases in his practice, and this man is a foremost authority on the subject. So, though you can spread it when your sore is there, he says it is rare to spread HSV2 to the facial or oral cavity (of the mouth) or the eyes..but this could happen....conceivably... He suggests wearing a bandage around the finger until it heals when out in public or with a sexual partner or with any other contact with others (i.e. children, etc.) Most people are totally unaware of this herpetic Whitlow and would never suspect you have herpes on the finger, so don't worry about that! Just say you have a recurrent infection or poison ivy or something. If you act suspicious, then people might wonder... I only had it with my terrible primary infection and luckily so far it has not recurred (that was 8 months ago, so I had better knock on wood!!). It was probably more painful on my finger than the blisters in other more private areas, too...and except for the pain with urination, I would say that finger sore was almost the worst part of my primary infection. The help I found for it was the dosage of Acyclovir and I put a drop of Oil of Oregano directly on it. That made it disappear fast it seemed to me. You need to isolate the finger to care for it properly, that is what my doc said and it has helped doing what I suggested above. When I first when to the doc at the weekend walk-in clinic I was not sure what was wrong..I had high fever, sore throat, vaginal watery like substance, and ached, but no blisters..but I did have a sore finger. They x-rayed it to see if there was metal or glass in there!!! They did not suspect herpes, but checked me for other STD's along with the X-ray for the finger...within a few days there were blisters in the vaginal area and a big SORE on my finger!!! UGH!! And that sore hurt so much...then my doctor told me it was a Herpetic Whitlow and all about it. I was at first worried about contact lenses, etc., but just be careful..and keep it covered and try to get it healed..that is the important part. Sorry to have gone on and on here, but you are the first person I have talked to who really had one, too!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2001, 10:29 AM   #3

Charlie C HB User

Thanx for replying - it's good to know that I'm not the only one, not that I would wish this on anyone!!
I feel a whole lot better after finding this website and reading other people's stories. Because it's such a taboo subject its easy to feel really isolated, like you are the only one who is suffering from this.
I will take on board your advice about the finger and hope that it clears up soon!!

Old 08-15-2001, 04:57 PM   #4

TravelGal HB User

I found out that I had Herpes about 4 years ago when it appeared on my back. Since then I frequently get it in the exact same spot and a few others as well. My doctor told me that once it appears in a spot it can sometimes re-appear every 3-4 weeks in that exact same spot!! The only thing that helps me is Valtrex, but unfortunately it really never goes away........so I doubt there is much you can do. Good luck!

Old 08-16-2001, 12:45 AM   #5

RedRobynNAU HB User

Wow! I have to say that you folks have completely re-educated me on herpes. I've had oral herpes since I was a child (I contracted it from my mom) but honestly had NO idea you could have outbreaks elsewhere besides mouth and genital. I'll be sure to be careful from now on!

Good luck guys...this disease sucks!

------------------
-Robyn-

Old 08-29-2001, 11:15 AM   #6

SusanM HB User

Sorry to read about your outbreaks on your finger. I have suffered from frequent outbreaks for many years, and one of my greatest fears has always been spreading it to any other part of my body, especially since my body does not handle the virus well at all. I always go to painstaking lenghts to wash my hands very well etc. to avoid spreading this thing. I am especially careful with my kids. Always washing my hands etc. I hope your finger outbreaks settle down. Keep them covered when breaking out. Good luck.

Old 08-29-2001, 12:27 PM   #7
(female)

Magie HB User

Hi .. I have in the last two years been working with Universal Energy( Human Energy )in excess which promotes healing through the chakras and I have had great success with it. Magie

Old 09-03-2001, 09:22 AM   #8

PhoebeM HB User

Charlie, I was wanting to know how your herpetic whitlows are doing on the finger? I hope they have finally healed. What have you put on them that helped most? As I said, I only had one at the time of my primary infection with HSV, and I know how painful that one sore was on my finger. I have wondered how you are doing. Let us know.

Old 09-03-2001, 02:06 PM   #9

Charlie C HB User

Hi Phoebe, thanks for asking after me. Thankfully the last scab which was left (there were three blisters originally) fell off today, so my finger is now back to normal I'm pleased to say.
I can't really recommend any particular product as I have ordered some different tablets and oils but some have not arrived and the blisters seemed to scab over quite quickly any way, before I'd tried any of the treatments.
Now I am just going to try and take vitamins and supplements and improve my diet in order to try and prevent further attacks. As it took a year for the herpes to recur on my finger (as oppose to only a few months to flare up again on my genitals) I am hoping that it will be a long time until it happens again, although I'm not optimistic enough to say that it might never come back.
I'll keep you updated on whether the lotions & potions keep the herpes at bay or not!!

Old 09-12-2001, 12:03 PM   #10

TexasFrances HB User

I had my first herpes outbreak 33 years ago as a 5 year old. My outbreak was ocular! During the next 25 years the only herpes outbreaks I had were Simplex I on my lips and nose. Then 3 years ago all **ll broke loose! I had multiple outbreaks on my left eye. There were blisters on the top and bottom lid, cornea and optic nerve. I had a major loss in my vision. I now take Valtrex daily. I still have minor outbreaks on my face, but thankfully not on my eyes.

Closed Thread