It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2001, 09:54 AM   #1

i dunno HB User
Are they looking for a cure?

Does anyone know if scientist are looking, trying to find a cure?
Or is it impossible to cure herpes, and thats that.
Who is responsible for finding a cure?
tested neg. but still worried.

Old 01-22-2001, 12:45 PM   #2
(female)

Magie HB User
Re: Are they looking for a cure?

There is no cure for this virus that is known to man but we never give up trying to find a way to cure our selves and make life easier.
Glad to hear your tests were negative.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2001, 06:41 PM   #3

luv_2001 HB User

I just wanted to say thank you for giving me hope for finding a cure for this disease. I had herpes for a little over a year now and I know its not too long but I am still very young and I really want to lead a normal life. Whatever normal is... But anyway, you have given me a lot of faith to keep my head up high instead of always staying low. Is there anything else you know (or you can make up to make me feel better) about getting close to a cure? Well, to tell you the truth I'v never been tested but I just know. I have done a little research on herpes and it sounds like what I go through. I do always hope to God every night that it isn't herpes but you just know. Well, thank you and write back if you can...thanks again!

Old 04-08-2001, 08:43 PM   #4

BillLumbergh HB User

The "vaccine" someone spoke of in an earlier post, is not a treatment, or cure, for someone ALREADY infected (like me). I've had herpes for about 17 years and mostly considered it an annoyance until now. Resistance to acyclovir based drugs occurs and with acyclovir being the only thing available for herpes this is a problem. This is a problem for anyone with herpes infections including shingles (herpes zoster). The problem is that when you go on some other medication(s) (for cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, MS, etc.),(or have HIV) your immune system becomes supressed and then the herpes virus lets loose and can be deadly. I never really knew this until someone I knew got herpes zoster in the brain while on treatment for MS. I'm sorry for being so negative about this, but I'm a bit scared (for the first time) about having this and hope a real treatment/cure is being developed. For this disease, when you are healthy it's not really a problem, but when you become ill it can create serious complications. PS- a doctor will typically have you take a daily dosage of Famvir, Valtrex or Acyclovir while on treatment for other immune suppressing conditions. Then the problem of toxicity occurs when taking chemo for some other condition and your liver, etc. suffers. Typically, people will be on anti-depressant meds as well. Sorry, I'm feeling very bad about this right now.... Got any good news?

Old 04-08-2001, 10:32 PM   #5

rivethead HB User

I hate to be negative, but all I've heard is that people are looking for a vaccine and although it will be great for people who don't have herpes yet, those of us that do have it will not be aided by it. I'm sure someone's looking for a cure as well, but it doesn't seem to be nearly as high a priority.

Also, you are smart to still be wary of your negative test. I hope it's right, I really really do, but the tests do come out wrong frequently...according to my doctor, there is a certain time during an outbreak that herpes can be cultured effectively. I was 17 and had what I now believe to be a herpes outbreak but the culture tested negatively. Now, seven years later, I'm having the exact same thing and my doctor (different than before) looked at it and said, "This is herpes, that's all there is to it. Even if your culture comes out negative, we're still going to think of this as herpes." I'm not trying to be discouraging, but I do think you're smart to be wary and you might want to try having the herpes antibody blood test too.

Old 05-02-2001, 01:06 PM   #6

WL042901 HB User

Check out this page on the CDC's website <A HREF="http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/dstd/Genital_Herpes_facts.htm." TARGET=_blank>http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/dstd/Genital_Herpes_facts.htm.</A> They have a brief synopsis of medical research towards a cure in this description page for genital herpes.

Closed Thread