It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2002, 08:02 PM   #1

jj68 HB User
Alternatives to Valtrex/Acyclovir

I am curious about alternatives to Valtrex or Acyclovir for Suppressive Treatment. I hadn't considered suppressive treatment until recently when my outbreaks seem to be much more frequent, 1 a month. My outbreaks are very mild, but certainly a nuisance. Coincidentally, just when I need to take something to suppress outbreaks, I lose my insurance. I priced Valtrex at $135 a month, didn't know about Acyclovir until I read posts on this site. I would really like to take something more natural and less expensive. I started taking L Lysine 2 days ago, we'll see how that goes. Although I also just read a post here about a Sacks study that proved inconclusive, I do have a friend that does not have breakouts (or very few) now that she takes Lysine.

I just briefly ran across a few treatments sold on the internet that are all natural/herbal type things. ANYONE have any experience with any of these?
H-Away/H-Prevention (oils)
Viraway/Immune Builder (herbal remedy)
Viraderm (not natural, but an alternative)

Old 03-21-2002, 08:01 PM   #2

PhoebeM HB User
Re: Alternatives to Valtrex/Acyclovir

I have investigated these and I have concluded they are just out to get your money and offer nothing for your herpes. Of course, vitamins will help make a strong immune system, but you can buy them a lot cheaper than these sites sell their products for. Lysine is not expensive, just hasn't been helpful for me. Some recommedn zinc, but too much zinc can hurt the liver an kidneys. Echinacea is good for the immune system and a multivitamin. I have tried many things, but the Acyclovir, Echinacea and multivitamin routine helps me most. Some days not much helps, but less stress and some meditation and exercise... and maybe we are all like that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2002, 06:59 PM   #3

bjv HB User

I have taken Zovirax and then Valtrex for years, in fact was in a study for Valtrex before it came out. I have found that I have outbreaks about a week prior to my menstrual cycle and since this happens EVERY month, it can't be just a coincidence. I am curious why they can't have a vacination for it since they now have one for chicken pox & isn't that a type of herpes virus?

Old 03-31-2002, 01:02 PM   #4

jackcjackc HB User

I totally agree- why can't they get a vaccine? I believe its because they make sooooooo much money from the drugs to suppress it and treat it (300$ a month for my supp famvir).

I am sure they could get a vaccine- I think that there must be a way to push for it more. maybe if more people were aware of how bad herpies is for some people (I have it in three spots, including in my eye, and forever I will have to worry about loosing my sight in one of my eyes if it reaccurres). I think its also because people don't talk about it because they think of it a an std, which it isn't always! (though i caught it sexually, I could have just about as easily spread my type 1 herpies from my mouth to my genitals).

so what can we do to get people to understand this disease more and to push more for a vaccine that protects those who don't have it yet, as well as raises the immunity of those who do have it in order to miminize the impacts (like the flu shot).

I am sure it is possible, since like you say there is vaccines for chicken pox, which is part of the same herpies family.

what can we do about this? how can we motivate drug companies to be more proactive and expedient in this research?

Old 03-31-2002, 04:09 PM   #5

bjv HB User

I'm sure you hit hte nail on the head about the drug companies making so much money from those of us suffering from this. I am always hearing horror stories about drug companies being slow to release drugs that cure as it will cut into their profits!!!! Isn't that sick? Maybe we could find out who manufactures the chicken pox vaccine and inundate them--I mean REALLY inundate them with mail. Worht a try I guess. I for one would love for my herpes to go into remission and it isn't all that bad!!! CAn't imagine having it in 3 places.

Old 04-09-2002, 07:47 AM   #6

jackcjackc HB User

Yes I totally agree with you! I think we should push more for this....

Closed Thread