It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010, 07:10 PM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

CadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB User
Only 1 outbreak

Hello, I apparently have contracted herpes from the guy I was seeing. I had an outbreak that an ER doctor told me "looks like herpes to me" but I have not been tested. I had a total of 4 sores. They healed in about 4 weeks.

I have not had any outbreaks since then (that was about 2 months ago). Is it possible that some people only have one outbreak and never again? The guy I got it from says he has never had an outbreak, but I know it was him because I haven't been with anyone else. And a friend of mine has it and has several outbreaks a year and she has had it for many years.

So, is it possible to only have one outbreak and never another one?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2010, 05:29 PM  
(female)

misspiggie HB User
Re: Only 1 outbreak

I've heard of people going years and years without or between outbreaks, but you should get a blood test once sixteen weeks have elapsed so you have some definitive answers. Didn't your doctor prescribe Valtrax or another medication? Four weeks is a lot of discomfort, my first outbreak healed in three days with medication.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2010, 07:09 PM  
Senior Veteran
(female)

CadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB User

I didn't go to the doctor until about 2 weeks after I was infected. See, I thought I had a cut from sex, and my friend and I thought I had either a yeast infection or BV. Just because I didn't know what the pain and itching meant, and the sore at first looked like a cut. Only when I could really tell that I had sores did I go to the doctor. She put me on acyclovir and the sores healed in about 2 weeks after I got on the medication. Since I don't have insurance the hospital wouldn't give me more than a 10 day dose and since then I have taken L-Lysine, which really helped. I thought I felt a sore coming on and I started on the L-Lysine and it was gone in like 3 days (this was during the original outbreak). Since then, nothing. I'm not taking L-Lysine and I'm not taking any medication and I still have no outbreaks. It has been since the first week of October and nothing. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy, but my friend told me she broke out almost continuously the first year even though she was on supression medication, so I kind of expected that. But, no. I just wondered if it is possible to only break out once, or maybe only like once a year.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:55 AM  
(female)

misspiggie HB User

I've done a lot of research since discovering I'm a carrier three weeks ago, and I've discovered it's absolutely possible to go years without an outbreak if you are healthy. Keep your immune system strong and exercise and avoid any triggers (like arginine, friction, restrictive underwear, menstruation [although that's hard to avoid!] etc). Everyone is different and some people will have one outbreak and never again while others have continuous outbreaks (like some people on this board).

Old 12-09-2010, 08:22 PM  
(female)

hurting2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadenceA View Post
Hello, I apparently have contracted herpes from the guy I was seeing. I had an outbreak that an ER doctor told me "looks like herpes to me" but I have not been tested. I had a total of 4 sores. They healed in about 4 weeks.

I have not had any outbreaks since then (that was about 2 months ago). Is it possible that some people only have one outbreak and never again? The guy I got it from says he has never had an outbreak, but I know it was him because I haven't been with anyone else. And a friend of mine has it and has several outbreaks a year and she has had it for many years.

So, is it possible to only have one outbreak and never another one?
Sorry to hear of your diagnosis but it looks like you are handling it well.

I joined the board back in may when i found out i was positive for hsv2. I had the most confusing blood tests but i know i had to have it because my now ex husband was tested too and he is also positive.

I believe i've had OB's for years because my test results seem to show i had this for quite awhile. Still don't know what quite awhile could be. Someone here, said i had it awhile after i posted my results. I couldn't believe it until i saw the blisters and the itching. The dr. thought it was just a yeast infection. But then, i started having the feeling down below like a cut and then i would feel so drained. I know i've had that feeling like a cut before, but i never knew it could be herpes. You see, my ex husband and i got tested 3 yrs after marriage for everything. This was 9 yrs ago. When you say everything, back then, they may have only tested for gnorrhea, syphilis, HIV, and AIDS but not herpes. That's why now you have to be specific and most drs. probably will include herpes with the other tests. I know this dr. i went to, did. anywho, our results back then were negative. But i can't find them, and I don't know for sure if they tested us for herpes. If they did, that means, one of us caught it from kissing someone or having sex outside the marriage. I know i never cheated to catch this and i'm not that quick to kiss ppl, not even on the cheek. But who knows.

Now, it's december and i've been trying everything 'healthy' to get rid of it. I had promised myself i would stick to a healthy regimen that would consists of cell food, liquid minerals, tea tree oil mixed with olive oil, DMSO liquid, and anything else that maybe a 'cure'. I wanted to get retested back in Oct. but i didnt' because i kept having sex with my ex husband. So if i did get rid of it at one point, i caught it again. lol

I know it sounds crazy to think you can get rid of it, but there was a lot of info. on the web that most ppl couldn't benefit from by saying, there is a 'cure' or at least, a remedy. Everyone just has to stay educated and make their own choices.

Me, i haven't had the blisters around the vjay-jay area but it feels like something close to the anal area. i still have some itching, but i don't if i'm just being paranoid. I mean, i don't think i've had a constant outbreak from april until now.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:31 PM  
(female)

scb1989 HB User

i just got diagnosed with HSV-2 today (unfortunately) and my gyno told me that many people only have on initial outbreak and that's it while others have several outbreaks a year. i'm praying that i am lucky enough to only have the one initial outbreak but who really knows. it's hard to come to terms with but i've realized that life is unpredictable and you need to deal with what has happened. as hard as that may be!