It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
(female)

princessofgod HB User
Can you have both Genital Herpes 1 & 2?

Help....About 3 months ago I had a sore in my vaginal area. Went to the OBGYN and had it cultured and it came back positive for Genital Herpes 1. I was devistated....I had no idea that you could get genital herpes from oral sex if your partner had a cold sore. They explained to me that my outbreaks would be less frequent and less severe since I had Herpes 1 vs herpes 2.
Anyway, about 2 weeks ago I had intercourse with my new man....please note that it had been about 4 months since I had intercourse and before that almost a year. Well we had sex 5 times in one weekend and I developed a UTI infection. The following weekend, again we had sex 5 times in 2 days. My UTI infection didn't go away and I had to get a 2nd antibiotic. They say the UTI was due to frequent sex. Now I have my 2nd outbreak, which I originally thought was a yeast infection from all the antibiotics. Unlike the first outbreak, which was just ONE blister....I have several (cluster) and it is very painful. DR said maybe I actually had Herpes 2 and the original test was wrong. We did blood work today to test for Herpes 2 virus. I wonder if I could have had Herpes 1 and then got Herpes 2 from my new man?? Can you have both?? My Dr. told me it still could just be Herpes 1 but a more severe outbreak because of the trauma from all of the sex when I am not used to it. I am devistated. I accepted H1.....it took awhile, but H2 or worse yet....BOTH. I have not had very many partners...I guess I just made bad choices. It's going to take at least 5 business days to get the results back. I feel like my life is over and I will never have a normal sex life again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am devistated.

The Following User Says Thank You to princessofgod For This Useful Post:
Rosella Magic (08-10-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
(female)

nkace HB User
Re: Can you have both Genital Herpes 1 & 2?

Herpes is herpes is herpes. Whether it's HSV 1 or 2 doesn't really make that much of a difference actually. It's not like one is worse than the other. I would suggest not having ANY type of sex during an outbreak, I mean it's usually painful anyway. You don't want o be spreading it back & forth between you & your partner anyway. Practice safe sex because even when there isn't an outbreak you could be shedding. Have your partner get tested as well to be sure.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

You can have both types but not in the same place..some people have both meaning oral and genital.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkace View Post
Actually that isn't true, HSV1 & HSV2 can be either genital or oral. That is to say if you get sores in both places it isn't that you have both HSV1 & HSV2. Blood test is the only indicator of this. There really isn't that much of a difference, a virus is a virus is a virus. For example, when you get a cold you don't necessarily end up w/ the same strain of that cold virus as previously.
I am aware that it can be either I never said they were not interchangeable that is why I wrote what I did you can only have one type in one place..

What is meant is that if you have genital hsv1 the next time you have an outbreak its not going to be HSV2 ..

Old 04-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
(male)

Halen1979 HB User

I have Oral herpes and have only had 3 in my entire life. Having said that I have read that if someone has previously had oral herpes or genital that it is unusual for them to get the other. Meaning basically that if you have oral herpes ur body has already built up antibodies against it and that it would be unusual for you to have sex with someone who has genital herpes and in turn get that virus too. Here is the link below, at least that is the way I took the comment. Also I would like to add that to all the people who talk about how disgusting oral herpes is (not saying anyone here does) they are basically saying that the majority of babies are disgusting too because the majority of them have it and had no control over it. Just my opinion.

"It is unusual for a person with one type of the herpes simplex virus to contract the other type."

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-18-2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Closed Thread