It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
(male)

BrianHiggins26 HB User
I told my NEW girlfriend I have Genital Herpes...

So I decided to tell this girl I am newly dating that I have gential herpes! I was scared at first becasue I thought she would leave me but decided to just be honest and tell her 100% as I have nothing to lose. After struggling getting the words out of my mouth she was hurt and confused. Is there a way to get rid of Genital Herpes eventually? Or am I stuck with them for life?

I only have flare up 2-3 times a year but am scared she will get it eventually and hate me for it. What do I do?

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: BrianHiggins26
Alyssa946 (07-30-2011), Nerdlie (07-29-2011)
Old 07-29-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB UserCadenceA HB User
Re: I told my NEW girlfriend I have Genital Herpes...

Herpes has no cure.

However, you can cut down considerably on your sore breakouts by getting on supression medication. Also, I use hydrogen peroxide on the sores...hurts like crazy for a few seconds, but I have cut down the healing time from 2 weeks to 5 days. You can also take l-lysine supplements, which also have helped me cut down the healing time.

You will need to practice safe sex as well. She may or may not get it from you. My friend has been married for over 10 years and her husband has never had a sore, so maybe she has not given it to him, or maybe he just has such a mild form that he never breaks out. Don't have sex when you have sores or feel them coming on, and always use condoms to cut down the risk.

Your GF may or may not be ok with it...sadly, some people aren't. But good for you for being honest, that is the best way to be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
(female)

Nerdlie HB UserNerdlie HB UserNerdlie HB UserNerdlie HB User

Also: boost your immune system with antioxidants!! Cadence gave you some great advice for dealing with chronic viral infections such as herpes. Good for you for being honest!! If she can't accept your condition, she's not the right one for you. You want someone who will love you no matter what, and won't be scared off easily. At least you will not have to live with the guilt of not mentioning your condition and risking someone else's health. Good for you.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
(female)

Alyssa946 HB UserAlyssa946 HB UserAlyssa946 HB UserAlyssa946 HB UserAlyssa946 HB User

I think you did a great thing by being honest. So many people out there would be tempted not to just because it is easier or less-confrontational but you did the right thing and she needed to know.
Honestly, I think that while the decision is all hers, maybe you could direct her towards making a more educated decision. Before I was diagnosed with herpes I thought it was some gross, horrible disease that only promiscuous and dirty people got and then when I did research I realized A.) that wasn't true and B.) it honestly isn't that horrible to deal with when compared to many of the other things that people can catch from each other.
Tell her to Google all she can about it, or talk with her doctor or a sexual counseler if this is the only thing standing in the way from you two having a happy relationship.
Also, I would urge her to get tested herself... 20% or so of the population have herpes, and many of those people do not know. What if she has already caught it from a previous sexual partner and has just never had an outbreak? Then she wouldn't have anything to worry about with her.
I have had herpes personally for three years and just recently had my first and only breakout so far...
Hope all this helps, and thank you again for being a good person and being brave, open, and honest.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
(female)

kris09 HB User

Unfortunately, herpes doesn't have a cure yet. We can hope for one though. I have had mine for years and what I can just share to you is that in my experience, the more I think about it the more outbreaks surface. I was under a program last year that taught me a lot about the mind body connection. Ever since, I haven't had an ob yet thank God.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

john1444 HB User

That was brave of you for informing your partner right in time but unfortunately, there isn't a complete cure for this virus at the moment.

But you can visit a clinic for advise and drugs of how to live with this disease.

Closed Thread