It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

livhlthy HB User
Question HSV2 pcr false positive?

(This is sort of long, apologies)

I had what first developed as one single red mark on my right vulva. I thought it was an ingrown hair, (which i get often due to shaving). I popped it open and it turned into a little sore. I then developed a rash with a couple red bumps near it. Prior to this i had a slight fever and had pain in my right leg. I dismissed these symptoms because I have been working out vigorously and thought the pain was from a pulled muscle and the fever was just a bug.
I didnt really think anything at first, but as the pain progressed in my leg I thought about my previous shingles episode back in february of this year.

About 5 days after this popped up and the symptoms got worse I went to my OBGYN to have it checked out. She instantly thought it was HSV. She tested me for every single STD known and gave me a PCR culture of the infected area. She prescribed me Valtrex (500mg twice daily) and said to take the med's while we wait for the results of the tests. In the following days I broke out with the rash more and it followed along my nerve line down my groin/leg.

Needless to say I was devistated. I went home, had a nervous breakdown for a day and after I started thinking clearly, I decided to call my Internal Medicine Dr who treated me the first time when I had a shingles episode. So, 6 days after I saw my OBGYN (a total of 11 days after first spotted red bump)I saw my Internal Medicine Doctor. He said that my rash looked nothing like herpes, but more like the shingles or even a fungal infection as well. (There is no test for shingles BTW) So he prescribed me Prednisone for the pain and Clotrimazole/ betamethasone cream to apply onto the rash. He said that my symptoms are more likely shingles with a minor fungal infection as well. I had my last episode break out on my tailbone and down my right buttcheek with all the leg pain, fever, fatigue ect as well. It lasted for two months and was terrible.
Within days of me starting the prednisone and cream the rash started clearing up, and my pain has started to subside.

I got my test results back and they were as follows:
HSV1&2 IgG HERPES SELECT TYPE SPECIFIC Ab
HSV1: .06 INDEX
HSV2: .20 INDEX
HERPES SUBTYPE (HSV1/2) BY REAL TIME PCR: POSITIVE FOR HSV2

MY QUESTIONS ARE:
1. can having shingles and having an episode cause a false positive in a culture test?
2. Also, ive read that a culture should be done within 48hrs of first sign of infection to be accurate, so being that it was over 5 days does this have an affect on the result?
3. since my blood test came out negative, should I get retested? Or is it likely I dont have HSV and I am having a shingles episode?
4. Why would I have the symptoms of shingles but have hsv2? My understanding was they were different forms of herpes virus and had different symptoms?

I talked to my doctors about all this. The OBGYN was certain it was HSV and didn't really want to discuss any other options. My internal medicine Dr. said it def wasnt HSV. so WHO DO I BELIEVE?
They were both so nonchalant about the HSV and acted as if everyone has it. This obviously blew my mind because my whole world is rocked right now. I would appreciate it if someone who knew a thing or two about this could give me some direction or answers? Thanks for taking the time to read this too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Curious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB User
Re: HSV2 pcr false positive?

If you have another outbreak and you are sure it is not a shaving bump, get to a clinic immediately. (This will be your third opinion.) Have them do a culture from the lesion.

Breathe and keep reading. Herpes is not a death sentence. Reading the section here called "Happy Couples" may give you some reassurance that you can and should have a very normal and happy love and sex life.

Last edited by Curious One; 10-25-2011 at 08:38 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Curious One For This Useful Post:
livhlthy (10-25-2011)
Closed Thread