It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
(female)

Flikka HB User
Can he get HSV2 from my HSV1?

I got genital hsv1 almost one year ago. Biggest regret of my life, only a few hours after the damage had already been done, from a guy only going down on me because I wasn't ready to have sex with him, did I find out that he infact already had a girlfriend and had been lying and cheating for a couple of months. I had the wors first breakout, had to take sickleave from work and couldn't walk/get out of bed for a week, wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy even.

But now I receantly got back in contact with a past boyfriend who is the love of my life, we broke up 2 years ago because he had to move to another country and none of us were really ready for the feelings we had for one another. it was heartbreaking. He still lives abroad but it's only an hour away by flight. We happened to meet up for coffe a month ago and all our feelings for eachother came rushing back and it was as we had never been apart.
We only got to meet that one time and since then we have been talking online almost everyday and decided to take things slow and see how things might work out, becasue it's what we both want. Now I'm going over to visit him for a long weekend in a couple of weeks and starting to really dread telling him about my hsv I feel so guilty for him not knowing and don't want him to get hurt.

But it's something that needs to be told face to face.
I've told one person bfore it was really hard and I was stressing so much I got a second OB from it. He was very good about it at first but we didn't last, and my virus was partly the reason. But this is a man I don't want to lose again, my heart just couldn't take it. I need to have all my facts straight, and I'm trying to find websites that I could pass on to him for information becasue he will want to research it for himself. Im just worried that he is gonna get scared, becasue there are so many mean judgemental people with misleading information out there about herpes. Even I scare myself sometimes when I research it.

Sorry for such a long post, just started writing.. Don't have anybody I can talk to about hsv so that might be why, but i do have a question and it's something I haven't been able to find clear information about,

is that, is it possible for him to get hsv2 from me when I have genital hsv1 ? or can he only get hsv1 becasue thats the type I have??

Man thanks,
and any tips on what sites I could suggest to him or information that might help feel free to share Thanks again!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
(male)

RSoxfan HB User
Re: Can he get HSV2 from my HSV1?

If you have HSV1, you can only give him HSV1. Your not alone here. Remember 1 in 4 have herpes. I've dated two girls last year and both has HSV2. I caught it from the 1st girl. I felt such a relief when my 2nd GF that year had it too.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
(female)

Flikka HB User

Thank you for the reply, that's how i thought it was but needed to be sure. So happy and relieved to have found the healthboards and all the threads about herpes, it has really helped me to read through all the different experiences and questions people have. And made me realise it's not so uncommon and other people have it too and it's all fine : )

Old 01-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
(female)

Cntbelievethis HB UserCntbelievethis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flikka View Post
Thank you for the reply, that's how i thought it was but needed to be sure. So happy and relieved to have found the healthboards and all the threads about herpes, it has really helped me to read through all the different experiences and questions people have. And made me realise it's not so uncommon and other people have it too and it's all fine : )

you are doing the right thing by telling him, again u can only give the type u have, good luck hun.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:44 AM   #5
(female)

quietob HB User

I already know this but I googled it anyway. Oral herpes (cold sores on the mouth) is Herpes Simpex I (HSVI). Genital herpes is Herpes Simplex II (HSVII).

Flikka, you have HSVII, not HSVI. If you transmit this virus to a partner, they will be infected with HSVII, genital herpes. I know, you have and are going through a truly miserable thing and some stranger here nitpicking.

.(got HSVII 23 years ago and just now not giving a flying fig if people know) 25% of us, remember!

A nurse told me a horrible story years ago. A married couple who were entirely faithful to each other both got genital herpes. Apparently, the husband had a cold sore on his mouth. He performed oral sex on his wife. A while later they both had genital herpes. The HSVI of his cold sore mutated into HSVII. She developed genital herpes and then gave it to her husband.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-29-2012 at 06:06 AM.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:02 AM   #6
(female)

quietob HB User

Right after posting on this thread I am seeing some others that mention genital herpes as HSVI. So I googled it again and this time, looked at several things. I stand corrected, partly. I came across this: HSV-I can cause genital herpes, but it more commonly causes infections of the mouth and lips...HSV-I infection of the genitals can be caused by oral-genital or genital-genital contact with a person who has HSV-I infection. Okay, I got it straight now. And the dumb thing is, this is just like my story of the married couple anyway.

My utmost apology, Flikka!

Last edited by quietob; 01-29-2012 at 03:15 AM. Reason: too many typos!

Old 01-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
(female)

Cntbelievethis HB UserCntbelievethis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietob View Post
i already know this but i googled it anyway. Oral herpes (cold sores on the mouth) is herpes simpex i (hsvi). Genital herpes is herpes simplex ii (hsvii).

Flikka, you have hsvii, not hsvi. If you transmit this virus to a partner, they will be infected with hsvii, genital herpes. I know, you have and are going through a truly miserable thing and some stranger here nitpicking.

.(got hsvii 23 years ago and just now not giving a flying fig if people know) 25% of us, remember!

A nurse told me a horrible story years ago. A married couple who were entirely faithful to each other both got genital herpes. Apparently, the husband had a cold sore on his mouth. He performed oral sex on his wife. A while later they both had genital herpes. The hsvi of his cold sore mutated into hsvii. She developed genital herpes and then gave it to her husband.
just wondering if you know that it is possible to have hsv-1 on your genitals..? I dunno which one she has but id think she knows what she has. Just a thought..

Old 01-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
(male)

RSoxfan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cntbelievethis View Post
just wondering if you know that it is possible to have hsv-1 on your genitals..? I dunno which one she has but id think she knows what she has. Just a thought..
You can only have HSV2 on your genitals. It is possible to get HSV2 on your genitals from a person that has HSV1 on there mouth and they perform oral sex on you. I don't know the percentage of the possibility.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:52 AM   #9
(female)

Flikka HB User

... well, again thanks for all the replies but it IS possible to have HSV type 1 on the genitals becasue that's the type I have! I got it from somebody who was shedding the virus orally but didn't have any visible blisters at the time, not that I could see anyway and he perforemed oral on me so thats how I got it.

I actually just called up my doctor who diagnosed me the first time, reading all the answers really got me doubting what I had :P , so just to double check and make sure. But yes it is genital HSV1 and I also asked if it's possible for my partner to get HSV2 or can he only get the type 1 because thats what I have and she said No, he can only get type 1 since that's what I got.

So.. I'm thinking that's about right!? Ofcourse I'm hoping he will never ever get it. And who knows if he will even think it's worth the risk.. Still another week to go before I see him. But feel better knowing for sure what it is I could possibly transmit to somebody else, would it ever happen.

The Following User Says Thank You to Flikka For This Useful Post:
Jessielou (09-04-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 06:14 AM   #10
(female)

Flikka HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietob;4918905 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting††††††††† †††††4918905††††††end_of_the_skype_highl ighting
Right after posting on this thread I am seeing some others that mention genital herpes as HSVI. So I googled it again and this time, looked at several things. I stand corrected, partly. I came across this: HSV-I can cause genital herpes, but it more commonly causes infections of the mouth and lips...HSV-I infection of the genitals can be caused by oral-genital or genital-genital contact with a person who has HSV-I infection. Okay, I got it straight now. And the dumb thing is, this is just like my story of the married couple anyway.

My utmost apology, Flikka!
Not to worry, it's all very confusing to keep track on sometimes

Old 01-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
(female)

quietob HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cntbelievethis View Post
Yes, I know I was in error. That's why I left a second post to apologize to Flikka for not checking my facts first. My knowledge of herpes is 23 years old and until now, I had no reason to investigate it further and therefore did not know that HSVI could also end up on the genitals.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
(female)

quietob HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flikka View Post
Not to worry, it's all very confusing to keep track on sometimes
I felt so bad about that first post, even though I corrected myself on my second one, I was afraid to check back here for your reaction. Thank you for being so gracious about it!

Closed Thread