It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
(male)

markisthemark HB User
IgM positive, IgG negative. Herpes?

So I've read if IgM is postive and IgG is negative it might mean recent exposure to the virus; thats what I'm worried about...

my IgM came at 1.42 which is > .9, indicative of positive
my IgG was both <.2 for HSV 1 and 2.

Question:
1) When they say. "recent exposure", how recent is recent?
I've had sexual contact with 2 people.. One over a month ago and the other more recently.
2) Should I be less worried considering its only at 1.42? Or does that not have any bearing (in other words, a positive is a positive)
3) how worried should I be because Im really worried at this point?
4) I've heard the IgM test is unreliable. How much truth is there to that
5) Does the IgM level increase with time after infection.

If you can, please answer the questions by number. Thanks a lot. MUCH HELP NEEDED!

Last edited by markisthemark; 03-08-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
(male)

markisthemark HB User
Re: IgM positive, IgG negative. Herpes?

P.S. I had chicken pox as a kid and I'm not expriencing any symptoms of mono (in case thats why you were going to say why the IgM is 1.42)

Last edited by markisthemark; 03-08-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Truthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB User

<So I've read if IgM is postive and IgG is negative it might mean recent exposure to the virus; thats what I'm worried about...>

It's more like "if the swab culture is positive and the IgG blood test is negative" it usually means that its a recent infection.

<my IgM came at 1.42 which is > .9, indicative of positive
my IgG was both <.2 for HSV 1 and 2. >

Any STD doctor worth their diploma will say IgM is not the test us to use for herpes. Center for Disease Control recommends IgG. So I still say throw the IgM out the window.

<Question: 1) When they say. "recent exposure", how recent is recent? >

It takes GENERALLY 3-4 months for a blood test to show up positive. Some people 'seroconvert' faster, some longer. Each individual reacts differently so its hard to say XYZ is the definitive time.

<2) Should I be less worried considering its only at 1.42? Or does that not have any bearing (in other words, a positive is a positive)>

Correct. The number does not really mean anything, its just the control used to measure positive or negative. But again, I would not put too much emphasis on the IgM

<3) how worried should I be because Im really worried at this point?>

As you said you had chicken pox. The IgM could be reacting to that.

<4) I've heard the IgM test is unreliable. How much truth is there to that>

When I first discovered I had herpes, I was all over the internet looking for anything on herpes and especially on testing. Majority of STD doctors who deal with this on day to day basis say IgM is unreliable. Terri Warren who runs an STD clinic and deals with testing issues has blogged about this very subject.

<5) Does the IgM level increase with time after infection.>

From what I remember in my research, the number does not mean anything like if you have had it for 10 years the number is 12 versus if you just got it and its 4. But again IgM = MADNESS, IgG=GOOD.

The Following User Says Thank You to Truthseek For This Useful Post:
fgd7474 (03-14-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
(male)

markisthemark HB User

Thanks for the responsive... No matter how many times I hear that the IgM test is bogus, it still bothers me... I can't get over it. I told the person I'm currently sexually involved with and shes freaking out too. She's running to the clinc tomorrow.

Now I have to wait 3-4 months for another test? Argh, that's fustrating.

Question: Actually, what are the chances that if I have HSV 2, I would experience symptoms within 10 days? I hear some people have it without experiecing any symptoms.. I'm just wondering if there's any research such as, "20% of people who contract HSV 2 do not have symptoms within the first 10 days.. 80% do"

Closed Thread