It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
(female)

InHisArms HB User
Unhappy How long can you have HSV before you show symptoms?

I was married for 22 years. I've been divorced for 2 and have been dating a man for the last year. Prior to meeting me he was married for 10 years and has also been divorced for 2 years. Between my X-husband and him there was no one else and he was the same with his X-wife. We have been sexually active only with each other for the last several months. I've never had sores on my mouth or genitals and neither has he that I can remember.

Last week I got my period and things just weren't right. I was in pain. It hurt to pee, my back & legs hurt... and then I felt them... bumps. I went to the doctor and she immediately suspects an initial herpes outbreak. I was swabbed and I'm waiting for the results.

I'm devastated!!!!! Could I have had the virus all this time and not know it? Could he have had it that long and not known it? I don't understand how this virus works!! I'm confused, hurt, shocked, sad, hopeless.

If I test positive and he doesn't... does that mean I got it from my X-husband?

Can anyone help out a confused and lonely girl?

Old 06-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
Re: How long can you have HSV before you show symptoms?

Hi,
I am sorry that you are going through this. To answer your questions, yes it is possible to have the virus for years and never have an outbreak so it is possible that either of you had gotten it from your ex's or anyone (if there was) before them. If one of you test positive and the other doesn't the above sounds like the most likely scenario. Also, I am not sure how long it was before you went to the doctor but if she did a swab and it was more then 24-48 hours since appearing there is a chance you may get a false negative. You could always ask for the IgG herpes type specific blood test, this will tell you which type you have (if you have it).

The Following User Says Thank You to angeleyz81 For This Useful Post:
InHisArms (06-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
(female)

InHisArms HB User

Angeleyz: Thanks for your reply and encouraging words. I got my results today and it was positive for HSV2. I will follow up with the good doc in a few weeks to see how things are progressing and to discuss daily therapy.

I have been avoiding the Valtrex but after the swab it seems I'm going through outbreak #2. Hikes!! So I'm taking the meds. Luckily it just went to generic so the RX wasn't very expensive.

My doctor is fairly certain that what I've been experiencing is a first-time outbreak. She believes it is unusual for the virus to be latent in my system for this long without symptoms so she is leaning towards me recently contracting it.

I'm slowly coming to grips that I have a new life-long "condition". One more hurdle... I have to tell my boyfriend.

Wish me luck

Old 06-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
(female)

NixiePixie HB User

I know this is a very difficult time I am going through it myself be strong I am here for you I think what makes this more bearable is having people who understand what you are going through.

Last edited by NixiePixie; 06-07-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
(male)

Broken plumbing HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by InHisArms View Post
Angeleyz:
My doctor is fairly certain that what I've been experiencing is a first-time outbreak. She believes it is unusual for the virus to be latent in my system for this long without symptoms so she is leaning towards me recently contracting it.
Ok. Now I'm a little confused. I got the same response from a nurse at a GP clinic yet was told at an STI clinic and have read on numerous sites that those infected may show mild or no symptoms at all for any number of years.

They can't both be right surely?

I have been married for several years now and I have not had sexual contact with anyone else during that time and this is my first outbreak (HSV 1). I was up front with my wife & took my her along with me to the GPs clinic to see what was wrong. As mentioned earlier (without test results...) the nurse at the GP clinic said (in private) that it would be highly unlikely that the HSV virus would have waited this long before a "primary outbreak" and due to the long cue to see the GP, she suggested we go to the STI clinic for a consultation and test. This left me with a HUGE knot in my stomach on the trip to the STI clinic, believing my wife may have been unfaithful. I didn't say anything to my wife at that point but I felt physically sick.

The nurse at the STI clinic told my my wife and I however that many people carry the virus for years not knowing that they are infected due to having mild or no symptoms at all.

I have been "coughing up a lung" lately (lots of phlegm), dieting hard since New Years and lost a substantial amount of weight, been under a lot of financial stress (losing sleep) and found myself a little run down getting by on lots of coffee. The nurse said this was probably the open window the virus was looking for.

Was she just being nice?

Old 06-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
(female)

InHisArms HB User

Broken: I'm sure the STI clinic people have a better understanding of the virus than the GP. My gyno is sooo certain that I just got it, but after doing research I'm not completely convinced.

I told my boyfriend that I tested positive and he is in shock. He has never had any symptoms, nor been diagnosed. He is guilt-ridden and devastated at the possibility of transmitting this to me. We both have doctor visits and blood tests scheduled so we can try to figure this out.

Luckily we are both committed to each other and are ready to deal with whatever the results are.

Good luck with your tests.

Closed Thread