It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
(female)

cazattack HB User
Unhappy Confused and kinda irritated!

Hello All, I'm new here (to this board at least)

Recently, intercourse has been uncomfortable/ sometimes painful for me. This past week My perineum area tore in the first few minutes and we stopped. I bled a bit and decided to go see my GYN. My partner and i have been together for over 3 years.
A year ago, i had a persistent low grade yeast infection. my gyn at the time gave me tons of different treatments- monistat, diflucan, baths, etc. In fact she gave me too much and i ended up having too much good bacterial growth, which also caused yeast infection symptoms. This dr did a whole bunch of blood tests to see if i had any cause for the persistent yeast, including an IgG HSV 1 and 2 test. I tested positive for HSV 1 (which makes sense because my mom has frequent cold sore though i never have) and negative for HSV 2.
Soon after i saw a new dr, who helped me a lot with balancing the pH and getting things comfortable again. This lasted probably 8-9 months going back and forth from yeast infection to balancing the good bacterias and getting the right pH balance. ANYWAYS our sex lives suffered. Since then ( about 3 months now) we've had uncomfortable sometimes painful (for me) sex. I have ALWAYS had incredibly sensitive skin, so some irritation is expected for me with sex, but not like whats been happening.
So a few days ago i got the tear, went to the GYN, saw a different dr than usual, who didn't ask me a single question, or offer an advice for how to prevent the tears from happening again. she just said to rest it and then decided to do a herpes culture. I explained that i had a blood test a year before that was negative, and hadn't had a new partner in years. She was kind of snarky and said "well you didn't have it a year ago but maybe you have it now" -she still insisted on the culture- which those of you know is PAINFUL (especially because i have an open CUT!).
So basically, i got no help, got a painful test, felt like my dr was accusing me or my partner of cheating, and now have this thought in my head of how the herpes fairy could have visited me and infected me in the past year, with no changes since the previous test. ARGH!

So my question, in short form, is how likely is it, with no new partners/new exposures for years before or after a Negative on the hsv2 blood test (IgG), then have an outbreak or positive culture?

And in addition- anyone have suggestions for painful sex/ perineal tears? after researching on the internet i think i really fit the description of having low estrogen.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Confused and kinda irritated!

I think it is unlikely your HSV culture will be positive. Estrogen deficiency can cause the tissue to be dry, thin, fragile, and cause pain from friction and tear more easily. I would be sure to use a good non-oily lubricant (hypoallergenic) and talk to your Dr. about whether you need some estrogen replacement in the form of cream. Be careful also with any products like bubble bath, deodorant sprays, perfumed pads, etc as people with sensitive skin can have allergic reactions in that area that cause irritation.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

I agree with Ladybud, I do not think your culture will come back positive. Was your boyfriend tested more then 4 months into your relationship? The only reason I ask is because if the answer is no and you do by some strange reason test positive, then it is possible at the time when you tested you were just newly infected or didn't have but have since gotten it from him. BUT if he did test and was negative then you have no worries about a positive test result

Old 06-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
(female)

cazattack HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeleyz81 View Post
I agree with Ladybud, I do not think your culture will come back positive. Was your boyfriend tested more then 4 months into your relationship? The only reason I ask is because if the answer is no and you do by some strange reason test positive, then it is possible at the time when you tested you were just newly infected or didn't have but have since gotten it from him. BUT if he did test and was negative then you have no worries about a positive test result
He wasn't tested the first year of our relationship but was tested about a year in (which was a year before I was tested) because he had shingles and they weren't sure what it was. He was negative for both Hsv. I tested neg a year later. And it's been another year since then. I'm not terribly nervous about results but was thrown for a loop when the dr did it without asking a single question about our histories and ignoring that I'd been tested before.

Closed Thread