It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #1
(female)

galaxCgirl HB User
hsv1- newly diagnosed

Hi all,

Had a partner accuse me of giving him "H" back in late January, early February. Right away I did the right thing and drove myself to the health department to get tested. When I arrived, I come to find out they test for basically everything, but herpes. Well, I take the test anyways just to find out I am clean in everything else, but still not sure about herpes. All the people at the health department acted as though it were no big deal and said, "Oh just wait if you have an outbreak, then come back and get tested." At first, this was the plan, but a guy I have been on and off with for about a year came back in the picture. He even asked me if I had this before we had sex and I told him all that I knew. Surprisingly, he was like, "So you don't have it," and immediately I find myself having unprotected sex with him, like we had always done in the past. Well, I have been bothered. Not knowing is not good for me. Called around, searching for a place with blood tests, good ones, type specific. Found a place, got a blood test, and it has come back positive for HSV1. I have never had cold sores anywhere on my face. The doctor said I must have a very good immune system to not be showing any symptoms of this. She says to disclose the information with my partner and just be safe and use condoms. And come back in for a culture if anything weird does come about. I have been doing a lot of research and it seems it is quite possible I could have had outbreaks so mild and mistaken them for other things? And that transmission rates are seemingly low if I do have it down under? I am now confused and don't necessarily know how to go about disclosing this other than saying, "I really like you and not knowing was not good enough for me in our case. This is what I know...." Any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
Re: hsv1- newly diagnosed

Hi,
This is the reason many doctors do not like giving blood tests without signs or symtpoms because now you have a positive diagnosis but since you never had an OB you do not know where it is. Do either of your parents or grandparents have cold sores? Many people get the virus orally as children from parents and grandparents.

The best thing you can do is to tell him the truth that you had gotten tested and you tested positive but do not know where since you have never had an outbreak and that you were unaware that they do not test you for the virus unless specifically asked. You could also ask him to get tested, he may already have it at which point there is no need to stress.

If you do have this genitally, yes the risk of transmission is lower then that of type 2 but the risk is always there even if there are no signs or symptoms.

Closed Thread