It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
(female)

samwise78 HB User
Newly Diagnosed

Hi there,

I was diagnosed a couple of days ago and even though I'm coming to terms with my new friend i am still going through all the emotions from this is going to be okay, its just my path in life now to who will ever want to touch me. I've read many threads for hope and to keep my spirits up. Im wondering though can anyone recommend some good books to read on living with herpes, I've done some research and found that its good to change your diet for best results to supress it along with herbs/vitamins, however i can't find any diets to follow are there any diet books out there for this or is it just a matter of cutting out certain foods.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and welcome and appreciate any feedback, advice or support.

Sam

Old 07-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
Re: Newly Diagnosed

Hi,
That is great that you are reading up and trying to understand it. I have heard that you should change things but personally I haven't. I find that keeping your immune system up and stress levels down help a lot.

A good thread to read on the board is at the top called "Happy Couples" it helps with the age old question "will anyone still want to be with me".

Things will definitely get better, in the grand scheme of things it is just a pesky skin condition

This is a great board if you need to vent or ask questions

The Following User Says Thank You to angeleyz81 For This Useful Post:
samwise78 (07-14-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
(female)

samwise78 HB User

Thank you so much, the hardest part to get past is the sigma that comes with it, but like you said its a skin condition, i read that the other day and even though people who don't have it see it as this really bad virus, it sure makes me feel better to know that it is just that a skin condition that none of us asked for. These threads are a massive help and i thank you and everyone else for contributing to them, no one should have this virus but its easier to move on knowing we have people who understand to talk to.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

Yes, the stigma is what gets me too! It is just a shame how people are quick to judge or assume without knowing the details. A lot of people do not realize that cold sores on the lips is herpes, or that an estimated 80% of people that have genital herpes do not know it. It all comes down to the fact that it is on the genitals that makes it a big hoo-rah lol ( I know it is not funny but I have had this since 2000 so I giggle at it).

Also, when you think about it chicken pox is another strand of herpes and it stays in your system and later outbreaks are called shingles.. so I guess knowledge is power so to speak.

When you decide to start dating again and tell someone it helps to be knowledgeable on the virus and also, not to make it sound like the worse thing in the world. The way that you convey it is how it is going to be taken.

Just trying to give ya some tidbits

Old 07-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
(female)

samwise78 HB User

And the tidbits are worth a million, so is the fact you can find the humour in it

Its funny how chicken pox and shingles are all part of the same strain, would be nice if we were taught this earlier in life and all these fact were more widely known, no on should have to live in shame over something that is not life threatening and can be controlled.

I was trying to find some good books to read and finally found some, if anyone else is interested, i haven't read them yet but they have high ratings on amazon, clearly someone found them helpful

- The Good News About the Bad News: Everything you need to know - by Terri Warren
- Managing Herpes: Living and Loving with HSV - by Charles Ebel
- Natural Treatments for Genital Herpes, Cold Sores and Shingles - by John W Hill
- Making Peace with Herpes: A Holistic Guide to Overcoming the Stigma and Freeing Yourself from Outbreaks - by Christopher Scipio
- Herpes and Nutrition - How to be out-break free without drugs - by Gary Hamilton
- The Healing Power of Forgiveness: How Do You Forgive Someone For Infecting You - by Dr. Kelly Schuh

We're all in this together, nobody is alone xxx

Old 02-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
(female)

Bionka1 HB User

Hello!

I am recently diagnosed (a week ago) and have been taking vitamin B12 for the past 1 1/2 months. It has helped and I will continue to take this daily. Also I think healthy eating habits are a win anyways along with some exercise and a positive attitude. Easier said than done, I know. I will be speaking with my Dr. in the coming days about Valtrex.

The stigma surrounding this 'dirty' virus is disturbing to say the least. I don't think people are properly informed enough about what herpes really is. It is a skin condition and just that.

I hope this gets easier over time.

Closed Thread