It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
(female)

Fluffybunny1 HB User
Unhappy What kind of contact does herpes need to be transmitted?

Hello,
This sounds so weird, but I recently had an incident where someone was blowing air at my vagina. I don't know if any spit hit me (I didn't feel any) but I really want to know if I could have gotten genital herpes from this situation. I took a shower within 45 minutes and washed myself really well afterwards. I haven't had anything that looks like an outbreak.

I am getting really mixed information on whether or not Herpes can be spread through droplets or sprays of saliva. I've also seen on the boards before that herpes needs much more direct contact to be spread, but i've seen information that contradicts that on the web. Any information would be so helpful, I'm really freaking out here and would really appreciate the help!!!!

Old 07-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: What kind of contact does herpes need to be transmitted?

Oral herpes (Herpes type 1) can be caught from kissing or other close contact between mouths. It will not infect the vaginal area, so blowing on the vagina will not give you herpes. Type 2 Herpes needs skin-to-skin contact and can infect anywhere on the area around and in the vagina, or the genitals of both male and female. You are probably OK. Sera

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2012, 04:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

Hello,
You are ok. HSV1 and HSV2 are both transmitted from skin to skin contact whether it be kissing, oral sex, genital to genital rubbing or sex and the other way would be from secretions from active lesions.

Just to clarify a little what Seraph mentioned , HSV1 and HSV2 are not specific to certain area of the body anymore. HSV1 cases are becoming more frequent in the genitals these days since oral sex has become more popular and vice versa for hsv2 people get that orally as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to angeleyz81 For This Useful Post:
Fluffybunny1 (07-27-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 01:38 AM   #4
(male)

owieher HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeleyz81 View Post
Hello,
You are ok. HSV1 and HSV2 are both transmitted from skin to skin contact whether it be kissing, oral sex, genital to genital rubbing or sex and the other way would be from secretions from active lesions.

Just to clarify a little what Seraph mentioned , HSV1 and HSV2 are not specific to certain area of the body anymore. HSV1 cases are becoming more frequent in the genitals these days since oral sex has become more popular and vice versa for hsv2 people get that orally as well.
That scares me in a way. Should one avoid sports like Wrestling? I play sports; so would hand shakes cause risk too?

I've never heard of HSV1 being on the genitals though, the google articles I've read always associate HSV1 w/ mouth out breaks and HSV2 w/ genital ones.

I made a thread asking something similar.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by owieher View Post
That scares me in a way. Should one avoid sports like Wrestling? I play sports; so would hand shakes cause risk too?

I've never heard of HSV1 being on the genitals though, the google articles I've read always associate HSV1 w/ mouth out breaks and HSV2 w/ genital ones.

I made a thread asking something similar.
Hello Owieher,
You should be ok with sports because that whole area is covered so there isn't a risk of transmission, also the same for the handshake, the skin on the hands are very thick and the risk of transmission there is pretty slim. I myself am a germaphobe so I do not shake peoples hands I bump knuckles with them instead ha ha.

HSV1 is much more common these days on the genitals since oral sex I suppose has become more popular. People can also now get HSV2 on their mouths. There really is not a big difference between the 2 other then the fact that HSV1 is less aggressive then that of HSV2 meaning a lower transmission rate and tend to have less outbreaks.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
(male)

owieher HB User

Quote:
Hello Owieher,
You should be ok with sports because that whole area is covered so there isn't a risk of transmission, also the same for the handshake, the skin on the hands are very thick and the risk of transmission there is pretty slim. I myself am a germaphobe so I do not shake peoples hands I bump knuckles with them instead ha ha.

HSV1 is much more common these days on the genitals since oral sex I suppose has become more popular. People can also now get HSV2 on their mouths. There really is not a big difference between the 2 other then the fact that HSV1 is less aggressive then that of HSV2 meaning a lower transmission rate and tend to have less outbreaks.
LOL on knuckle thing.

So if I receive oral sex from my GF, even w/ a condom, I could possibly get HSV 1 and HSV 2 all over again?

Is there a misconception about condoms then? I mean, the scrotom can still come into contact w/ her genitals and spread that way too right? Regardless of symptoms.

-Thanks.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by owieher View Post
LOL on knuckle thing.

So if I receive oral sex from my GF, even w/ a condom, I could possibly get HSV 1 and HSV 2 all over again?Well you can't get the virus all over again once you have it, you have it. If you wear a condom and her mouth only comes into contact with the covered area then you are not at risk of getting it.

Is there a misconception about condoms then? I mean, the scrotum can still come into contact w/ her genitals and spread that way too right? Regardless of symptoms.misconception is a way to look at it, but just a lot of people that lack knowledge on the virus and how it works. Condoms seem to be promoted more or less to protect against STDs that are transmitted through semen and vaginal fluids and herpes does not fit that category. Yes, you are correct since the condom does not cover the whole boxer short area there is still a risk, you can always keep your boxers on and just slip it through the hole and do it that way until your able to find out what her status is.

-Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to angeleyz81 For This Useful Post:
owieher (07-26-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
(female)

Fluffybunny1 HB User

Quote:
Hello,

Hey, thanks so much for the information. i really appreciate it. I have one more question, if herpes can be transmitted from active lesion secretions, what prevents it from being spread through a drop or two of spit?

Anyway, thanks again, you've given me much needed peace of mind.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

Spit is not active lesion secretions. That is what actually comes out of the sore or lesion. If you drool across a cold sore (as you do lol), then that spit would be contaminated and infectious. Sera

Old 07-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
(female)

Fluffybunny1 HB User

Okay. Thanks. Do you agree with angeleyz81 saying that I'm okay?

Old 07-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Yes, I am sure you are OK. Herpes really does need direct contact to infect. Sera

The Following User Says Thank You to Seraph For This Useful Post:
Fluffybunny1 (07-27-2012)
Closed Thread

Tags
herpes, saliva, std, vagina