It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
(female)

tea123 HB User
Lots of stupid questions about Herpes

Hi,
I am grateful that I found this website because honestly - I'm lost. My husband has just been diagnosed with genital HSV-1. Although I know it is possible that he could have gotten it before, he admitted that he cheated on me a few days before his symptoms began. It has been 4 months, and we haven't been sexual with each other, and I was tested, and I don't have it. I don't know if I am staying in this marriage or not, but I have some questions, and I know they might be stupid, but I would appreciate any advice.

I don't want to get HSV-1. I know people have said that it isn't the end of the world, but between having horrible cramps from endometriosis, I just feel like I can't deal with another issue with my reproductive system.

My husband has gone on Valtrex and starting taking a lot of vitamins like L-Lysine. From what I understand taking Valtrex and using condoms help to prevent transmission, but condoms obviously only work on the area covered by the condom. I also know that you are supposed to avoid sex when you have symptoms (burning, tingling, etc). I know this is a stupid question, but to prevent skin to skin contact, if he wears underwear, sticks his penis through the hole in the underwear and covers his penis with a condom, would that prevent transmission at all? Has any company come up with "herpes shorts" which covers the thighs and butt to prevent skin to skin contact? (I know, stupid).

Also, are there any measures I can take to prevent myself from getting herpes? I know I need to boost my immune system, but is there anything else I can take?

Also, is there a period of time when someone is more likely to transmit the virus (i.e. in the first year? 2 years?).

I appreciate the advice. This is a crappy situation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
Re: Lots of stupid questions about Herpes

Hi,
I am sorry that you are going through this. May I ask which test you had done? Also please see the answers below

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea123 View Post
Hi,
My husband has gone on Valtrex and starting taking a lot of vitamins like L-Lysine. From what I understand taking Valtrex and using condoms help to prevent transmission, but condoms obviously only work on the area covered by the condom. I also know that you are supposed to avoid sex when you have symptoms (burning, tingling, etc). Yes this is also when the risk of transmission is higher also I know this is a stupid question, but to prevent skin to skin contact, if he wears underwear, sticks his penis through the hole in the underwear and covers his penis with a condom, would that prevent transmission at all? Has any company come up with "herpes shorts" which covers the thighs and butt to prevent skin to skin contact? (I know, stupid).That is not a stupid question by any means, my partner actually does that. If he keeps his boxers on and uses a condom there is no skin to skin contact so you should be ok also especially if he is taking suppressive therapy. Keep in mind though condoms on their own are not 100% so if the condom breaks there is still a chance. In my opinion if you are not going to be fully comfortable it would be best for the both of you to separate.

Also, are there any measures I can take to prevent myself from getting herpes? I know I need to boost my immune system, but is there anything else I can take?Not that I am aware of, keeping your immune system up may help but nothing is 100%

Also, is there a period of time when someone is more likely to transmit the virus (i.e. in the first year? 2 years?).They say the first year the risk of transmission is the highest and as time goes on it decreases a bit but never to no risk at all.

I appreciate the advice. This is a crappy situation.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
(female)

tea123 HB User

He had the swab test. It came back positive for hsv-1.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

Thanks, how about yourself? Do you know which test?

Old 07-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
(female)

tea123 HB User

I had a blood test, I know that blood tests are not 100 percent accurate. My doctor suggested that I get tested every six months.
If I can ask, how long have you been with your partner? I am really asking how long have you been able to stay herpes free?

Old 07-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello,
I only ask about the blood test because the IgM is not accurate and just wanted to ensure that you had the IgG herpes type specific blood test

I have been with my current partner for almost 5 yrs and he is the one that is herpes free, I have had this since 2000. Another note, my ex-husband and I never used condoms and we were together for 4 yrs and he never got the virus from me either.
(The transmission rate though is lower from woman to man)

Old 07-26-2012, 01:36 AM   #7
(male)

owieher HB User

May I ask how they were able to diagnose HSV1 on the genitals? Very rarely have I seen HSV1 being associated w/ genitals, more often do I see them being referenced to the mouth area. I'm so confused as well.

I was positive for HSV1, and was told it could've been contracted in life from various scenarios, from being in contact w/ others as a kid, to cuddling and kissing w/ my gf. Now I am trying to understand as much as I can but have a hard time doing so.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:41 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by owieher View Post
May I ask how they were able to diagnose HSV1 on the genitals? Very rarely have I seen HSV1 being associated w/ genitals, more often do I see them being referenced to the mouth area. I'm so confused as well.

I was positive for HSV1, and was told it could've been contracted in life from various scenarios, from being in contact w/ others as a kid, to cuddling and kissing w/ my gf. Now I am trying to understand as much as I can but have a hard time doing so.
Hello,
In the case below her husband had the culture done and it came back positive for HSV1. Also, if someone is having an outbreak down below and gets a blood test and only comes up positive for HSV1 that is another way to tell where they have it.

HSV1 is much more common these days on the genitals since oral sex is the culprit around spreading it to the area.

The Following User Says Thank You to angeleyz81 For This Useful Post:
tea123 (07-26-2012)
Closed Thread