It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
(male)

owieher HB User
Herpes and oral

I just wanted to ask about this. I am dating a girl and we had thought about intimacy. For the sake of everything I wanted to ask about the possibility of catching HSV2 from her performing on me with or with out condom. I have HSV1 positive.

My understanding is that there are certainly risks no matter how to cut it. I've even asked my doctor and he said to just get protected. Even if I use condom for all activity, can I contract HSV2 by just touching her? Or must it be that region of hers?

- - -
The more I read, the more scared I am to even hold her hands. People are saying I can get herpes from cuddling w/ her. We have only hold hands and have cuddled, but light body touches, but not in any genital area.

Is HSV2 or HSV1 between us possible? Even a simple hand shake can spread the virus?

Thanks.

Last edited by owieher; 07-26-2012 at 01:19 AM.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
Re: Herpes and oral

Hi,
I am sorry I am a little confused. Are you HSV1 positive orally? and is she HSV2 positive genitally? I want to make sure I answer your question correctly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
(male)

owieher HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeleyz81 View Post
Hi,
I am sorry I am a little confused. Are you HSV1 positive orally? and is she HSV2 positive genitally? I want to make sure I answer your question correctly.
Our last intimacy, just oral (she on me) was in April. I was concerned, so I tested in late June for both HSV 1 + 2 via IGG/IGM tests for both. I was positive for HSV1, negative for HSV2; but IGM suggested HSV1 positive wasn't because of our contact in April. Or was the gap too far to really indicate?

Granted, I didn't have a break out of any sort. My doctor said I could've gotten HSV1 from a long time ago, since the antibodies didn't indicate any thing recent. But recent is subjective?

I didn't have any open lessions to test, so I dunno if HSV1 was oral or genital.

Since then I have been meaning to ask her to get tested; because of the uncertainty, we've just been holding hands, and what not, but no sex. Since I have HSV1, I dunno if holding her hands, or kissing her, or even massaging her would lead to a transmission.

I dunno what she has, but I just want to clear the air. I'm so confused.

Even w/ protection, would a simple touch whether out break or not be risky? It seems like I can't touch her or something, or I should be careful of her touching me.. uggh.

Last edited by owieher; 07-26-2012 at 11:27 AM.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

Hello,
Were you IgG results negative? IgM should not be used these days as it can pick up if you have had chickenpox.

If your IgG is negative I wouldn't think you had anything to worry about.

If you have never had an outbreak and you do have this, maybe you have it orally and did get it as a kid. Do your parents or grandparents have cold sores?

Old 07-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
(male)

owieher HB User

Quote:
Hello,
Were you IgG results negative? IgM should not be used these days as it can pick up if you have had chickenpox.

If your IgG is negative I wouldn't think you had anything to worry about.

If you have never had an outbreak and you do have this, maybe you have it orally and did get it as a kid. Do your parents or grandparents have cold sores?
Yes, IGG was negative. I'm not sure about my grandparents and all. I do not recall any episode of cold sores in nearly 10-15 years, or maybe more.

What about my concerns with my girl though? I am uncertain of her status, and do not have a definitive understanding of her position.

My understanding is that HSV1 and HSV2 are viruses that cause outbreaks in 2 common areas, but can be spread easily by contact regardless of where the infection took place? I guess I'm confused, in that if a person is positive and just touches me by hand, am I infected that way?

So if my GF has an uncertain status and we engage in protected sex, can I still catch HSV2 or HSV1? Or can she spread the location of HSV1 from point A to B?

Sorry about the confusion.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello,
If she has it genitally then you must come into contact with her genitals in order to get it and the same goes with orally, must come into contact with her mouth.

You will not get it by holding her hand or anything like that.

If you have protected sex with her and she has genital herpes then there is still a risk of you getting it since the whole boxer short area is not covered. If she performs oral on you and she has it orally then suggest you wear a condom so there is no risk of skin to skin contact.

The Following User Says Thank You to angeleyz81 For This Useful Post:
owieher (07-26-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
(male)

owieher HB User

Quote:
Hello,
If she has it genitally then you must come into contact with her genitals in order to get it and the same goes with orally, must come into contact with her mouth.

You will not get it by holding her hand or anything like that.

If you have protected sex with her and she has genital herpes then there is still a risk of you getting it since the whole boxer short area is not covered. If she performs oral on you and she has it orally then suggest you wear a condom so there is no risk of skin to skin contact.
Thank you for taking the time in answering my confusing questions.

Let me further it just a bit.

If I have HSV1 already, can she re-infect me w/ HSV1 or HSV2 by her kissing me on my neck? Would my neck be re-infected by HSV1 or HSV2, whether or not she has symptoms?

If she has HSV1 and HSV2, then protected sex would still be risky for me right?

I've read that I could still get HSV1 on my genitals, this is kind of a concern as well. Even though I already have HSV1, could it also be relocated there as an outbreak site?

Can I get a genital outbreak from HSV1?

Thanks.

Last edited by owieher; 07-26-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by owieher View Post
Thank you for taking the time in answering my confusing questions.

Let me further it just a bit.

If I have HSV1 already, can she re-infect me w/ HSV1 or HSV2 by her kissing me on my neck? Would my neck be re-infected by HSV1 or HSV2, whether or not she has symptoms?I think you are just being overly cautious here, the reason that the virus is spread through skin to skin contact and usually on the genitals and mouth is because there are thin layers of skin and openings that will allow the virus to enter. So for example if you took oil and place it on your arm it would roll off, but if you placed it on your arm where there is a cut some will be absorbed (I hope that makes sense). Generally speaking the skin on the body is thick so you shouldn't have anything to worry about if she kisses on your neck.

If she has HSV1 and HSV2, then protected sex would still be risky for me right?There would still be a risk of you getting it but less of a risk if you already have one of the virus antibodies in your system

I've read that I could still get HSV1 on my genitals, this is kind of a concern as well. Even though I already have HSV1, could it also be relocated there as an outbreak site?This instance is starting to seem more familiar, although the chances are lower then if you didn't have it but still there.

Can I get a genital outbreak from HSV1?Yes, if that is where you have it, if you have it orally then no, you cant have an outbreak down below

Thanks.
I am starting to get confused for you! If your uncertainty of her status is driving you this nuts, ask her to be tested. Also not to scare you but an estimated 80% of people that have genital herpes don't even know they have it. Not saying to take this with a grain of salt.. but since you seem overly concerned I just wanted to open your eyes a bit more

Old 07-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
(male)

owieher HB User

Quote:
I am starting to get confused for you! If your uncertainty of her status is driving you this nuts, ask her to be tested. Also not to scare you but an estimated 80% of people that have genital herpes don't even know they have it. Not saying to take this with a grain of salt.. but since you seem overly concerned I just wanted to open your eyes a bit more
Sorry. I appreciate the help. It does clear it up a lot. It just seems like I get the impression that if I touch someone, even for a hand shake or pat on the back, I would be open to risk. I am concerned about her because of our intimacy, but through reading, I keep getting the notion that skin to skin contact is all it takes.

I understood your analogy/concept about oil and all, that's why they always emphasize not having open wounds and all. After all, isn't our skin the biggeest concern?

Since I have HSV1 already, I am concerned about HSV2. I'm just a bit confused about how you said I could possibly get HSV1 again in my genital but not have an outbreak there? I have HSV1, but no outbreaks at all in the past 10 years.

I suspect I have the oral one though. With that said, you were saying that even if I have HSV1 oral, I could still have her spread HSV1 into my gentil as a new site? Thereby making me have outbreaks both in mouth and genital?

Does that sound confusing? Sorry.

Thanks!

Last edited by owieher; 07-27-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello, no worries I am here to help

If you have HSV1 orally, and if she has it orally there is a chance you can get it genitally from oral sex performed on you... or if she has it genitally then there is a risk of you getting it from intercourse. The risk for the same type in 2 spots are low I am assuming the longer you have had the virus in the body the less chance of it being in 2 places although I am sure it is still possible. Remember though if she doesn't have it she can't spread it. Just because you have it if she kissed you and went down on you doesn't mean your going to get it there. ( I hope I am answering your question )

You don't have to worry about just shaking someones hand or patting them on the back.. just becoming intimate with someone.

Our skin is the concern yes, but its really the types of skin. For example, the chances of a female getting the virus is double that then a man getting it from a woman. This is because we have much more skin exposed down there and its thin skin. just like the mouth there is thin skin compared to hands or arms. You shouldn't be this worried about the virus, it will drive you insane.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
(male)

owieher HB User

Quote:
Hello, no worries I am here to help

If you have HSV1 orally, and if she has it orally there is a chance you can get it genitally from oral sex performed on you... or if she has it genitally then there is a risk of you getting it from intercourse. The risk for the same type in 2 spots are low I am assuming the longer you have had the virus in the body the less chance of it being in 2 places although I am sure it is still possible. Remember though if she doesn't have it she can't spread it. Just because you have it if she kissed you and went down on you doesn't mean your going to get it there. ( I hope I am answering your question )

You don't have to worry about just shaking someones hand or patting them on the back.. just becoming intimate with someone.

Our skin is the concern yes, but its really the types of skin. For example, the chances of a female getting the virus is double that then a man getting it from a woman. This is because we have much more skin exposed down there and its thin skin. just like the mouth there is thin skin compared to hands or arms. You shouldn't be this worried about the virus, it will drive you insane.
I kept re-reading what was posted, and I just wanted to re ask something. I hope that is okay. If I am the receiver of her performing oral, am I to be aware of HSV2 or HSV1? I do have HSV1, but not sure if its oral or genital.

I read that it doesn't matter if its HSV2 or HSV1, which is why I'm a bit confused.

Closed Thread