It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
(female)

tea123 HB User
Advice please to prevent male to female transmission of herpes

Hello,
I'm hoping someone can help me. My husband has genital HSV-1 and I don't have herpes at all. The short version of the story is that he cheated on me, and we haven't had sex since he cheated and since he got his diagnosis. I took a blood test to see if I have herpes and I don't.

I haven't decided if I am staying in this marriage or not, but I am hoping someone can give me advice. My husband is on Valtrex and is taking supplements to suppress the outbreaks, and if we were to have sex we would use condom (and I'd ask him to wear his boxers to prevent skin to skin contact).

I know there is a higher risk for women to get herpes from a man, is there anything else I can do to protect myself? I know he has to get to know his symptoms, (burning, tingling, etc), but is there anything else I can do.

Thanks for any advice, I really appreciate it. I need to understand what my options are.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Advice please to prevent male to female transmission of herpes

So sorry you are facing this dilemna and breach of trust in your relationship! You should have pretty good protection with a condom and avoiding skin to skin contact. Obviously, chance of transmission is highest when there is a breakout or prodromal symptoms. An underwear that has a more snug opening like boxer briefs may be safer as the regular boxer opening can be pretty loose. If you stay in the marriage, I think you must be willing to accept the small risk, that in spite of precautions, you could still contract it. We all make sacrifices and compromises in marriage of all types, so I hope you can come to an acceptable decision and forgiveness if you decide to stay in it for the long run.. I doubt he will cheat again after this unfortunate experience!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread