It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
(male)

goterpsacc HB User
Herpes HSV 2 / Whitlow Help!

My girlfriend has Whitlow Herpes on her hand. She was never told it could be HSV 2. She was also under the understanding it could only be passed through an outbreak, and we use little to no caution because of our ignorance. Later on in our relationship, I had a burning sensation when I urinated. This lasted 5 or 6 days before going away and was followed up by and my girlfriend having a similar sensation on her bottom when she urinated. We were both tested and both came up positive for HSV 2. We know she has it on her hand, and we both had a burning sensation while urinating. I personally have never had an outbreak, and she has only had an outbreak on her hand.

This leaves me with a couple of questions.

1) Is the pain while urinating an indication my infection is genital based? And if so, is her pain while urinating another indication that I have now passed the virus back to her in the vaginal region?

2) She is under the opinion if we are both taking the medications we can stay sexual active with little to no risk of infecting one another in other area’s as long as neither of us is actively broken out. Is this correct?

Thank you for your time and assistance!

Old 07-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
Re: Herpes HSV 2 / Whitlow Help!

Hello,
Is she sure that it is Whitlow on her hands and not a form a eczema?

Which test did you both get and do you know what the numeric values are?

Yes the discomfort you both were experiencing could have been an ob caused by the virus.

If you both have it genitally then the only thing stopping you would be discomfort because you can't reinfect each other in that area, if that makes sense

The Following User Says Thank You to angeleyz81 For This Useful Post:
goterpsacc (07-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
(male)

goterpsacc HB User

I just got the tests results Wednesday and was kind of in shock. I don't remember the numbers (igg and igm) but from I was told it was not a new virus. Do the numbers tell me anything useful at this point?

Hard to believe but she's a nurse and had the hand tested. She knew it was herpes but didn't believe it could be passed unless it was broken-out. She also did not know it could be HSV 2. She has been with 2 other men in the past 6 or 7 years but believes (without a doubt) it came from work.

At this point I'm more interested in educating myself and limiting risk than playing detective. If we knew the location of the virus that would help but other than her hand I guess we don't truly know and won't until we (I) have a BO.

Thank you again!

Old 07-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

Hello,
I know its a bit mind boggling since neither has had an outbreak, but from what you mentioned you both experienced I would guess you both have it genitally but as you mentioned nothing is 100% until you have an outbreak.

The only reason I asked about the test and numbers is because the IgM is not a reliable test and the IgG would be the one to go off of. As for the numbers nah it isn't going to make a difference, since the doctor informed you it is an old infection just means you may have had it for at least 4 months or more.

I am not sure of the transmission rates from the hand, but the best precautions ya'll can take would be to use condoms but on the other hand if you both may have it in the same place it wouldn't really matter because you can't pass it back and forth to each other.

The best way to avoid an outbreak would be to keep your immune system up and your stress levels down.

Also if you both want you can go on suppressive therapy that would lessen the risk of transmission and help keep outbreaks to a min

Closed Thread