It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
(male)

fred_rrrr HB User
Where does male genital herpes shed from?

Hello all,

A man has gential herpes - when outbreaks occur, sores are localized on the crotch, behind the genitals, not on the penis or genitals.

We know from reading that gential herpes sufferers shed the virus up to 30% of th etime even when they are not having symptoms, so we should practice safe sex all the time.

But - where does this shedding occur?

At the site of the recurring sores only? If not, then for some radius from the site? Or the etnire gential area? And if it sheds from the body elsewhere than the site of the recurring sores, then does it shed from arms, legs, hands, face, torso?

I mean, where does it end?

The nub of the question being - unlike a woman where there's fluid to transport virus all over the place, is it safe to contact a man's privates directly in areas that do not have sores during recurring outbreaks?

Any pointers to any reliable literature on this precise subject would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by fred_rrrr; 08-14-2012 at 04:30 PM.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
Re: Where does male genital herpes shed from?

Hi,
If you have genital herpes when the virus is dormant it stays in the spine and comes out anywhere in the genital region when aggravated by something. With that being said the same goes for shedding, it will happen anywhere in the boxer short area.

There is always going to be the risk because as you know when we are shedding there is no way of knowing when.

Also just to clarify the below, that is incorrect this virus is not transmitted from bodily fluids but from skin to skin contact
"unlike a woman where there's fluid to transport virus all over the place"

The Following User Says Thank You to angeleyz81 For This Useful Post:
owieher (08-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
(male)

fred_rrrr HB User

Thanks fo the info.

I'm curious about the "boxer short area". I thought the shedding occurred from the sites of sores when the sores aren't there. Not from random healthy skin areas. Are saying we may be shedding from our upper thighs? And if it travels there, how does the virus know where to stop? Then why not worry about shedding from your whole leg and torso?

As for the fluids - that's what I was told by the doctor, 'cause it's physically impossible for the site of the sores to have come into direct contact with any area of another person other than maybe a hand or a limb.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_rrrr View Post
Thanks fo the info.

I'm curious about the "boxer short area". I thought the shedding occurred from the sites of sores when the sores aren't there. Not from random healthy skin areas. Are saying we may be shedding from our upper thighs? And if it travels there, how does the virus know where to stop? Then why not worry about shedding from your whole leg and torso? The group of nerves that the virus lives in/on (for a lack of better words) for genital herpes are never that go to the genitals,thighs, lower abdomen, anus, rectum and buttocks. For example sometimes outbreaks occur in the same place every time and sometimes outbreaks move to a different location. This is because the virus has “chosen” just to travel along a different nerve to get to the surface of the skin so it would be the same thing as shedding.

As for the fluids - that's what I was told by the doctor, 'cause it's physically impossible for the site of the sores to have come into direct contact with any area of another person other than maybe a hand or a limb.I am a little confused, if someone has genital herpes then skin to skin contact in that area can result to transmission the only other way other then the skin to skin would be from secretion from an active lesion but this would be in male or female.
I am not knocking the doctor but many of them just know the text book rules and unfortunately that is not how cut and dry this virus is at least not in this day an age lol. I have spoken to people that had been diagnosed over 20 yrs ago and their doctors told them they could only transmit when having an outbreak which we know is not true.

Last edited by angeleyz81; 08-18-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
(male)

fred_rrrr HB User

Quote:
The group of nerves that the virus lives in/on (for a lack of better words) for genital herpes are never that go to the genitals,thighs, lower abdomen, anus, rectum and buttocks.
And we can shed virus from any site the virus can travel to via those nerves at any time? So we can be shedding virus from our thighs, abdomen and buttocks at any time without knowing it?

If so, then essentially what we're sayng is that a genital herpes carrier should never again be touched by another person anywhere from their knees to their chest to protect others from risk of infection? And they should wear a knees to chest condom for sex?

Depressing.

Last edited by fred_rrrr; 08-18-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

As horrible as it sounds I wouldn't take it so literally. Just the area of where the boxer shorts cover hence "boxer short" area. It really is not as horrible as it sounds, if someone is that worried about passing it on there is suppressive therapy also if you have sex keep boxers on and use a condom.

Closed Thread