HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Herpes (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/herpes/)
-   -   outbreaks (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/herpes/914217-outbreaks.html)

ilikecatz 08-14-2012 08:34 PM

outbreaks

I am one of the unfortunate people who happen to be single with H and it makes for not dating because I do not know how to tell someone or even bring it up, and Im not sure what the reactions will be , has anyone had the same experience and some help with that would help ,, The reason however I wanted to say something here is because I was reading someones post about always having outbreaks , well I to was one of those who did,, until my Dr gave me Valtrax as a matience program, he said if I took a 500mg one a day it would cut out the outbreaks and reduce my chances of spreading it to my partner to 25% would that mean that if my partner went on a matience dose it would cut the chances of them getting the virus to 7and a half % that being said that is not bad odds if you know when you are going to have an outbreak then refrain from intercourse , update because I took the matinence dose I have maby one outbreak a year . and sometimes once every two , also I will have one if my immune system is down . So I hope this would be of some help to others and also is there a dating forum for singles with H . and what does everyone think about the 7% percent theory? To all that suffer from H I will Pray for a cure . :)

Jessielou 08-15-2012 07:57 AM

Re: outbreaks

Hi thanks for your post I am single to and was devastated to find out i had herpes as was fussy enough with partners anyway, now!!! how can I be, well that's what I thought until I spent a week in bed on my iPad, now I think I have herpes but everything is going to be OK..... I was leading the wrong kind of life and going for the wrong guys, getting drunk and fooling around, now things have changed so may be just may be my herpes virus has saved me and I can meet someone nice and caring.... I am feeling positive any way.....
It is now 10 days since I slept with "Dim Tim" and I have looked on the .."positive dating sights" for sti victims but I don't want herpes to choose my partner I want to choose him....so I am back on plenty of fish and things are getting back to normal......
Do you take your medication every day?
Thanks for your post and good luck with your dating what's stopping you plenty of fish is free as well.....:)

needadvice12 08-15-2012 11:56 AM

Re: outbreaks

Thank you both for the posts. Similarly, I was diagnosed with HSV-2 about a year and a half ago and it took a long time for me to even get used to the idea. To add some personal insight - keep in mind I am not a doctor or in the medical profession - having the ability to tell a potential partner about having this condition takes a lot of courage. To answer your question about the risk of spreading the virus, the risk is lowered by using protection like condoms, and also by taking a daily medication. I have been on the daily valtrex for the past year and have not had any symptoms or outbreaks. In addition, it give yous peace of mind because I've also been told that it helps to minimize outbreaks. Also, it does lower the risk of spreading the virus when you are not having symptoms. As I'm sure you know, while viral shedding is possible in between outbreaks, my doctor told me that with no symptoms and while on the daily medication, the risk of spreading it becomes extremely low. I'm not able to give a number because that depends on your personal condition and how often you have outbreaks. Additionally, as far as I'm aware there is no evidence that suggests that having your negative partner take the daily medication lowers the risk at all. I'm not positive about that though.

As far as dealing with this condition, the best way I can suggest looking at this in a positive way is that it literally forces you to slow down and appreciate someone for qualities besides those having to do with sex. Where you might otherwise rush into having a sexual relationship, this condition makes it so that you get to know someone first and possibly develop strong feelings for that person before thinking about becoming intimate. In addition, giving that person a chance to develop feelings for you before becoming intimate i.e. telling them about the H also increases the chances that they'll want to stick around. Essentially, you're forced into finding a generous and caring guy/girl where you might otherwise settle for something less. That's not too terrible, right? Good luck :)