It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
(female)

MBM7881 HB User
just diagnosed :*(

i've been a wreck all day. my doctor just called and told me that i tested positive on a IGG blood test for both H 1 & 2. i'm so upset and confused. how do i deal? any information will be greatly appreciated. my doctor told me that there was no numbers (this is an army installation so no numbers just positive or negative) but that i could have had the virus for a long time. i've never had any outbreaks or any symptoms ever. i got retested today at a completely different place. thanks in advance

Last edited by MBM7881; 08-15-2012 at 03:12 PM.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
Re: just diagnosed :*(

Hi,
I am sorry to hear your dealing with this. I do think it is weird there are no numbers, without that I think it is hard for someone to say whether or not you have had it for a while or not.

Just know that if you are positive it is not the end of the world and it seems that your body has a great immune system for you to not have any outbreaks. There is life after the virus, you can get married have kids all the fun stuff

If you have any questions feel free to post but in the mean time try to keep your stress levels low (stressing out can bring on an outbreak) and just keep your head up. Every emotion you are feeling right now everyone here has felt but it gets better. I have had this beautiful pesky skin condition for 12 yrs and I joke about it because you can't let if affect you or rule your life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
(female)

MBM7881 HB User

How would the numbers determine if I had it for a while or not? Just trying to get as much info as I can

Old 08-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

The whole number thing is like this, values between 1.1 and 3.5 are considered low positives and normally people are suggested to get retested in 4 months because sometimes there can be a false positive also the lower number normally indicates recent infection. For example many people test positive on a culture but negative on the blood but when retested in a few months with the blood they turn up positive, this would indicate a new infection. Normally anything over 3.5 means you may have had it for a while, the higher the number normally means the longer you have had it. For example my value is at <5 which means the antibodies are there and enough to detect that its been in my system sometime at least 4 months (in my case many years lol).

Now this may not always be the case when trying to figure out where or who it came from, when trying to figure that out many people say just let it be.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
(female)

MBM7881 HB User

i just got my numbers back and some clarification would be great. i tested positive for both HSV1 & HSV2 for IGG blood test. My numbers are:

HSV 1 >5.00 H
HSV 2 4.03 H

How long does this mean i've had it. i know with the HSV1 it means years and years lol and i've read that even kids with cold sores (which i remember having as a kid never as an adult) are considered herpes. i'm just wondering about HSV2. could i have had this for a few years already too?

Last edited by MBM7881; 08-17-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM7881 View Post
i just got my numbers back and some clarification would be great. i tested positive for both HSV1 & HSV2 for IGG blood test. My numbers are:

HSV 1 >5.00 H
HSV 2 4.03 H

How long does this mean i've had it
The numbers indicate you have had both for a while, being that we can't say exactly how long I would say at least 4 months or longer since the numbers are high.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
(female)

MBM7881 HB User

i know that the numbers tend to fluctuate (or so i read) but do pregnancy make them fluctuate as hormones and such tend to be out of balance? also i'm pregnant...7 months to be exact (almost 8). and my doctor told me i have to start taking medication at 36 weeks so that i can be lesion free and deliver vaginally. is this possible? i've never had an outbreak ever before and i will take my medication i just dont want a c-section. i hope they come out with a cure this is no way to live

Last edited by MBM7881; 08-17-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
i know that the numbers tend to fluctuate (or so i read) but do pregnancy make them fluctuate as hormones and such tend to be out of balance? also i'm pregnant...7 months to be exact (almost 8). and my doctor told me i have to start taking medication at 36 weeks so that i can be lesion free and deliver vaginally. is this possible? i've never had an outbreak ever before and i will take my medication i just dont want a c-section. i hope they come out with a cure this is no way to live
Yes they do fluctuate but that would be the antibodies for the virus and I don't think pregnancy would affect the numbers. Congrats on baby!!

Yes, towards the end of your pregnancy that is normal for a doctor to take such precautions for a vaginal delivery.

I wish there was a cure too, you think there would be but it is not that serious as a virus. If you think about its like chicken pox that is a strand of a herpes virus that lays dormant in your system for the rest of your life and the next time it comes out as a flare up they call it shingles lol just a pesky skin condition to say the least.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
(female)

MBM7881 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeleyz81 View Post
Yes they do fluctuate but that would be the antibodies for the virus and I don't think pregnancy would affect the numbers. Congrats on baby!!

Yes, towards the end of your pregnancy that is normal for a doctor to take such precautions for a vaginal delivery.

I wish there was a cure too, you think there would be but it is not that serious as a virus. If you think about its like chicken pox that is a strand of a herpes virus that lays dormant in your system for the rest of your life and the next time it comes out as a flare up they call it shingles lol just a pesky skin condition to say the least.
thanks so much for your quick replies...i'm trying my hardest to keep my head up and remain positive.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
thanks so much for your quick replies...i'm trying my hardest to keep my head up and remain positive.
No problem, I know that it is hard but come to terms with especially when your blindsided because you have no symptoms and never had an outbreak but it will get better, I promise you'll even forget you have it sometimes.

It helps when you have someone to talk to, not good to keep everything all in. On the bright side, your body has been doing a great job at keeping the virus suppressed.

Closed Thread