It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
(female)

elle13 HB User
Newly Diagnosed w/Questions

I was recently diagnosed with genital herpes and went through almost a month of painful sleepless nights until I self diagnosed myself and asked my doctor to do the test. Since then I have a few questions that I was hoping someone could help me with.

Since I didn't know why I sick my boyfriend and I had sex apparently while I was having my first outbreak so I'm assuming at some point he will have his first outbreak. As of right now he seems to be ok. Is it ok for me to perform oral sex with him if I already have had my first outbreak? I'm unsure if this will then cause me to show symptoms of oral herpes - which I do not want, bad enough I have "unseen" herpes.

Also since I am now healing, my skin is still a little pink but after 4 weeks of fatigue and generally feeling crappy I finally feel like myself again, is it safe for us to have sex?

And since we both apparently have the virus now, if one of us is having a minimal outbreak will that cause the other to have an outbreak as well?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around all this yet and I just don't want to make matters worse or spread it other areas.

I've decided to only use my prescribed Valtrex when I feel the prodone symptoms - which I'm hoping I don't stress too much about. I'm going to try to watch what I eat (even though I'm normally a healthy eater) and will take supplements when I feel prodone as well. I'm taking, Lysine, Vitamin C, Echineca, Zinc and One A Day - I'm hoping this is enough. I think I'm also going to buy some Vitamin E to put on topically once the healing begins, I think that would've been helpful this time around since I was so damaged because it took my doctors 3 weeks to properly diagnose me.

Any feedback on my questions will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
Re: Newly Diagnosed w/Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle13 View Post
I was recently diagnosed with genital herpes and went through almost a month of painful sleepless nights until I self diagnosed myself and asked my doctor to do the test. Since then I have a few questions that I was hoping someone could help me with.

Since I didn't know why I sick my boyfriend and I had sex apparently while I was having my first outbreak so I'm assuming at some point he will have his first outbreak. As of right now he seems to be ok. Has he been tested? Is it ok for me to perform oral sex with him if I already have had my first outbreak? This depends I say this because if he does not have genital then you have nothing to worry about, if he does have genital but you both have a different type you may still be able to get it orally and also if it is the same type although the chance is slim it may still be possible if it is the same type[/B] I'm unsure if this will then cause me to show symptoms of oral herpes - which I do not want, bad enough I have "unseen" herpes.

Also since I am now healing, my skin is still a little pink but after 4 weeks of fatigue and generally feeling crappy I finally feel like myself again, is it safe for us to have sex?You can have sex when you feel comfortable, just know that using condoms will help reduce the risk but if that is not an issue, then just resume as normal

And since we both apparently have the virus now, if one of us is having a minimal outbreak will that cause the other to have an outbreak as well?No, they just say abstain during outbreak because it can be uncomfortable and the risk of transmission is highest at this time but if you already have it no need to worry

I'm just trying to wrap my head around all this yet and I just don't want to make matters worse or spread it other areas.

I've decided to only use my prescribed Valtrex when I feel the prodone symptoms - which I'm hoping I don't stress too much about. I'm going to try to watch what I eat (even though I'm normally a healthy eater) and will take supplements when I feel prodone as well. I'm taking, Lysine, Vitamin C, Echineca, Zinc and One A Day - I'm hoping this is enough. I think I'm also going to buy some Vitamin E to put on topically once the healing begins, I think that would've been helpful this time around since I was so damaged because it took my doctors 3 weeks to properly diagnose me.Just be easy on all of the vitamins since you are taking the Echineca may cut out the vitamin C or vise versa because either will help you boost your immune system

Any feedback on my questions will be GREATLY appreciated!!!
Keep your head up girl, seem like you have a good grasp on it which it great!!

Old 08-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
(female)

elle13 HB User

Thank you, your responses made me feel less anxious. Honestly wasn't sure if I was diagnosed with HSV1 or HSV2, just called my doctor to confirm & waiting to hear back.....think I need to switch dr's.

So if I understand correctly if he has HSV1 and I have HSV2 I could still possibly contract HSV1 orally?!

As far as the vitamins, once I feel I'm fully healed from my initial outbreak I think I'm only going to take my One A Day vitamins and only kick in the additional if feel an outbreak about to start. I've also heard about eating broccoli when symptoms first start.

Like I said I'm typically a very conscientious healthy eater and I try to exercise at least 30 min a day so my fingers are crossed that I won't have another outbreak or at least not as debilitating as this initial was.

I'm going to pick up the book tonight "The good news about the bad" and hopefully get a little more educated through that. I also thought about ordering Dynamiclear, that sounded like it could shorten outbreaks - anyone use it with success?

Does anyone have any other pointers or helpful suggestions to curb or help recover from an outbreak?

Old 08-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

Quote:
Thank you, your responses made me feel less anxious. Honestly wasn't sure if I was diagnosed with HSV1 or HSV2, just called my doctor to confirm & waiting to hear back.....think I need to switch dr's.

So if I understand correctly if he has HSV1 and I have HSV2 I could still possibly contract HSV1 orally?! [B]Yes this is correct, if that is what he has genitally. It also goes both ways if you have HSV2 genitally and he preforms oral on you he could get HSV2 orally. The chances for anything like this is small though because your body already has HSV antibodies so it will be harder for you to get it in both places rather then a person that has neither/B]

As far as the vitamins, once I feel I'm fully healed from my initial outbreak I think I'm only going to take my One A Day vitamins and only kick in the additional if feel an outbreak about to start. I've also heard about eating broccoli when symptoms first start.Not sure of the broccoli thing may be true. I will keep this in mind

Like I said I'm typically a very conscientious healthy eater and I try to exercise at least 30 min a day so my fingers are crossed that I won't have another outbreak or at least not as debilitating as this initial was.The first is always the worst the ones after aren't nearly as bad.

I'm going to pick up the book tonight "The good news about the bad" and hopefully get a little more educated through that. I also thought about ordering Dynamiclear, that sounded like it could shorten outbreaks - anyone use it with success? Ican't speak on this as I have been fortunate in the 12 yrs of having my new best friend I have only had 2 outbreaks anytime I feel one coming on I will take Valtrex I have to stop it before it starts. I think the L-Lysine has been successful for many

Does anyone have any other pointers or helpful suggestions to curb or help recover from an outbreak?I think the biggest thing is to keep stress down and immune system up.
That is great to become educated on the virus I think the more you know the better you will feel Feel free to reach out on this website if you have questions or just need to vent.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
(female)

elle13 HB User

OMG I just got a call back from the nurse at my Dr's office who said there was nothing marked in my chart as far as HSV1 or HSV2 - I asked her if I should get a test to determine which and she said she didn't think it was necessary!! It is necessary to know which I have or if I have both, isn't it?! I wasn't diagnosed using a blood test but using a swab of the area, could this be why they don't have the type listed? Should I request a blood test to determine which and/or both??

Old 08-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
OMG I just got a call back from the nurse at my Dr's office who said there was nothing marked in my chart as far as HSV1 or HSV2 - I asked her if I should get a test to determine which and she said she didn't think it was necessary!! It is necessary to know which I have or if I have both, isn't it?! I wasn't diagnosed using a blood test but using a swab of the area, could this be why they don't have the type listed? Should I request a blood test to determine which and/or both??
If they didn't type the culture, yes I suggest that you ask for the IgG herpes type specific blood test so you know which type you have. Some people just think oh its herpes and these days its not that simple since 2 types are interchangeable (yrs ago it seemed HSV1 was only orally and HSV2 was genitally but it is not like that these days) and as discussed earlier it is best to know which type you have.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
(female)

elle13 HB User

I just got my IGG test results which showed I was positive for HSV1 - I'm shocked, I could've sworn I would've tested positive for HSV2, just with where I had my outbreak. Now I'm confused......I've been with the same guy for over 20 years and married to him for 12 of those years. About 3 years ago he cheated on me and moved out, after a few months he wanted to come back and I made him get tested for STI's before I would engage in sexual relations with him again. He told me he tested positive for Herpes but said "we knew that because I get cold sores" - at that time I didn't realize there were 2 "types" so I didn't question him because, yes, he gets cold sores. I left my husband last year and have only been with 1 guy since and I assumed I contracted this from my "boyfriend" because how else could I have gotten it?! My outbreak was in the anal area and quite bad (I was out of work 6 days & almost took myself to the hospital)....my "bf" is the only guy I ever engaged in anal sex with and when I told him I was diagnosed with HSV he wasn't shocked and was quite calm, telling me it would be ok and to try not to freak out or worry about it and then I came to find out he never went to his Dr to get tested even though he said he was going to. So all that made me feel like I had to have contracted this from him.......we have continued to see each other and I'm not looking to place blame on anyone but I wanted to get tested to be sure I knew which type I have. So imagine my surprise and confusion when it comes back as HSV1.....does this mean I could have really had it ALL these years and just not have known it?! Or should I get tested again in a few weeks to see if I have both types and maybe the type 2 just wasn't positive enough yet - it showed on my report as "In Range" <0.90 where as the Type 1 showed "Out of Range" >5.00 so there was quite a difference.

Now I have other other questions, if I have type 1 genitally will I get cold sores in my mouth or will it always be where it is? I mean, its bad enough I have it where I have it, I really don't want to start with cold sores as well. Can someone without hsv contract this during oral sex & start with cold sores? And can I still contract type 2 and will that make my outbreaks worse if I'd end up with both?

I finished my round of medication and am so worried about another outbreak that I decided to continue a maintenance of the prescription for about another month after which time I'm going to try to stop and see what happens. I mean if I could have had it all this time maybe I'll be ok???? I'm not sure what could have made me outbreak if I have had it for years - I've been under more stress last year than recently so I'm just being cautious - I swear my outbreak was worse than giving birth!

Thank you again for all the answers you provided for me and for everyone - I've read through other peoples question & answers and seems you are on top of this subject and I appreciate all your input
.......I've also switched Drs since they had a hard time diagnosing me and they didn't feel a blood test to type me was necessary.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
(female)

PurpleSaddle HB UserPurpleSaddle HB User

[QUOTE=elle13;5050931]

Now I have other other questions, if I have type 1 genitally will I get cold sores in my mouth or will it always be where it is? I mean, its bad enough I have it where I have it, I really don't want to start with cold sores as well. Can someone without hsv contract this during oral sex & start with cold sores? And can I still contract type 2 and will that make my outbreaks worse if I'd end up with both?

It is possible for either type to outbreak on either places. The reason why type 1 generally outbreaks on the mouth is because the virus makes its home base behind the ears and type 2 makes it's home base at the base of the spine. If someone were to perform oral sex on you while you are having an outbreak they would most certainly get outbreaks on their mouth. You can still contract type 2 just as easily as someone with only cold sore can contract type 2 and vice versa. It'a possible it would make your initial outbreaks worse, but that all depends on your body.

The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleSaddle For This Useful Post:
elle13 (09-06-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
So imagine my surprise and confusion when it comes back as HSV1.....does this mean I could have really had it ALL these years and just not have known it?!If your exhusband performed oral on you that very well could have been where you had gotten it from since typically HSV1 is orally Or should I get tested again in a few weeks to see if I have both types and maybe the type 2 just wasn't positive enough yet - it showed on my report as "In Range" <0.90 where as the Type 1 showed "Out of Range" >5.00 so there was quite a difference.I wouldn't worry about getting tested again since you know you had the outbreak and only tested positive for one type I think you are ok

Now I have other other questions, if I have type 1 genitally will I get cold sores in my mouth or will it always be where it is?No worries about getting it on your mouth, since you have it down below the outbreaks (hopefully no more) will be down below I mean, its bad enough I have it where I have it, I really don't want to start with cold sores as well. Can someone without hsv contract this during oral sex & start with cold sores? Yes, if someone performs oral on you there is a risk of them getting it orallyAnd can I still contract type 2 and will that make my outbreaks worse if I'd end up with both? Yes it is possible for people to have both but if you were to get type 2 it would be orally but even then your chances of getting from someone are lower then someone that doesnt have it since your body already has some type of antibodies to one of the types in your system.

I finished my round of medication and am so worried about another outbreak that I decided to continue a maintenance of the prescription for about another month after which time I'm going to try to stop and see what happens. I mean if I could have had it all this time maybe I'll be ok????If you finished the medication you should be fine, but if ou want to keep some from the new prescription on the side just in case you start to feel something you can take it to try to nip it in the bud. I'm not sure what could have made me outbreak if I have had it for years - I've been under more stress last year than recently so I'm just being cautious - I swear my outbreak was worse than giving birth!There are many factors that may cause an outbreak such as stress, weakened immune system, change in medications/vitamins

Thank you again for all the answers you provided for me and for everyone - I've read through other peoples question & answers and seems you are on top of this subject and I appreciate all your input
.......I've also switched Drs since they had a hard time diagnosing me and they didn't feel a blood test to type me was necessary.
Awe thank you and your welcome! I am glad you switched doctors, it is best to work with one that is for you ya know. Feel free to post if you need anything else

The following user gives a hug of support to angeleyz81:
elle13 (09-06-2012)
Closed Thread